how do you properly shoot from a rest, both handguns and rifles?

PDA

Soybomb
April 27, 2008, 03:33 PM
I've had several people that I've considered shooting mentors and each has taught me their own way style of shooting, including shooting from a rested position. I'm starting to shoot at longer ranges and want to remove myself as a variable as much as possible and test more of the accuracy of the ammo I'm using. What is the way most people consider "proper" to shoot from a rest? I don't have anything like a lead sled available or anything, just me, a table, my rifle and handgun, and whatever else I bring (sand bag, bean bag, jacket, etc)

I've heard to hold the forearm of the rifle, to prop it up on a bean bag, to prop it up on something hard, to toss a beanbag under the pistol mag, to only put my wrists on the beanbag....everyone seems to have their own idea so what works best for you?

If you enjoyed reading about "how do you properly shoot from a rest, both handguns and rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boatbod
April 27, 2008, 08:13 PM
There's many different methods of resting a gun, but the one thing you need to achieve is shot-to-shot repeatability.

Personally I favor either a bipod or sandbag under the forestock, and then hold the buttstock into my shoulder.

lamazza
April 27, 2008, 08:56 PM
Rest the rifle foreend STOCK(not barrel) on sand bag.
Pull rifle stock into should.
Good cheek weld and one hand works trigger.
Other arm/hand folds accross chest and reinforces rear stock.
Do not hold fore end with hand as it is already supported by sand bags.

Karl Hungus
April 27, 2008, 09:08 PM
With a rifle I use a tripod or bag under the forend, and a squishy (not all the way full) bag under the rear of the stock. Left hand squeezes the rear bag to adjust for elevation.

With a pistol I use a small bag just in front of the trigger guard. Be prepared for the bag to get massive powder staining if you're shooting a revolver.

If you enjoyed reading about "how do you properly shoot from a rest, both handguns and rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!