X-ray Lucent Gun

PDA

svtruth
April 27, 2008, 04:16 PM
Would it be possible to make barrel/chamber, etc out of porcelin?
I know the lead bullets are radio-opaque so it wouldn't help much.

If you enjoyed reading about "X-ray Lucent Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
matt87
April 27, 2008, 04:32 PM
I'm not ceramics engineer, but have you ever dropped a plate?

claytonfaulkner
April 27, 2008, 04:33 PM
im sure it could be done in ceramic, or maybe ceramic wrapped in carbon fiber, similar to whats used in armor. i hear they are designing engine blocks now that are ceramic.

Geronimo45
April 27, 2008, 04:59 PM
Been watching Die Hard II? :p
Maybe for a very low-powered gun... for a 9mm or greater? I don't think we've got the technology yet for it to withstand the pressures involved. They can make pot-metal/zinc guns in .25 and .22...

AJ Dual
April 27, 2008, 05:19 PM
There's always a chance that a very low density material with sufficient tensile strength could be developed, or one that's high density, but happens to have a nuclear and electron arrangment that's "just right" to pass x-rays.

However, to date, anything with the requisite strength to act as a firearm, even a disposable zip-gun made out of glue and rolled up magazine paper, is sufficiently radio-opaque to be easily detectable by security x-ray.

Your bones show up well enough on x-ray (albeit security x-ray machines and medical ones use different strengths and detection thresholds) and if you've ever handled human, or more likely, similar animal bones they've got an average density to them that's still less than most of the exotic materials suggested so far.

PercyShelley
April 27, 2008, 06:35 PM
As my dictionary tells it to me "lucent" does not mean the same thing as "translucent". It means "luminous".

I'm pretty sure I don't want any gun that gives off large amounts of ionizing radiation.

markk
April 27, 2008, 06:44 PM
How about
a Glock 7. You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It dosen't show up on you airport X-ray machines, and it cost more than you make here in a month.

I hear that next year GLOCK will be releasing one in the 40 watt range...

fearless leader
April 27, 2008, 06:57 PM
Ja, in 10MM.

It may be possible, but I don't think you would want to carry it. I'm sure a 3" thick barrel would contain a 9mm. :)

Don't believe everything you see on TV.

Rachen
April 27, 2008, 06:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I don't want any gun that gives off large amounts of ionizing radiation.

That may be the trend in future weapons. Think Phaser.

PercyShelley
April 27, 2008, 07:24 PM
Allow me to clarify:

I don't want to carry any gun that gives off ionizing radiation in a passive and omnidirectional manner such as would be necessary to render it invisible to x-ray scanning machines.

I do hear that the "crispy tan" look is in this year though.

If you enjoyed reading about "X-ray Lucent Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!