crimped primers

PDA

jwr_747
April 27, 2008, 04:41 PM
was removing the crimp from some berdan primed 7.62X51 brass and got to wondering,if the crimped in primers on most military ammo is really needed.reason I ask is there must be tens of thousands of commercial and reloaded ammo shot in machine guns and (forgive me) assault weapons,without any problems,or at least no problems heard of. jwr

If you enjoyed reading about "crimped primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shoney
April 27, 2008, 05:00 PM
Crimped primer ammo was dedsigned for military use. Under battle conditions, when there can be extreem pressure changes near by, due to explosions, non crimped primers may come out a slight bit or pop out entirely. The crimp stops this from happening.

strat81
April 27, 2008, 09:44 PM
They're an insurance policy. If a primer backs out on you or me or Joe Schmoe at a machine gun shoot or a high-power match, we'll be okay. For a .mil user, missing or backed-out primers can result in death.

If you enjoyed reading about "crimped primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!