No Weapons allowed at Gun Show

PDA

Ash
April 27, 2008, 07:34 PM
An interesting circumstance existed this weekend at the Hattiesburg, MS gun show. It was held at the Forrest County Multi Purpose Building. On both the exterior doors, and the interior doors, in 12"x15" full color, were signs declaring that no weapons, either concealed or open, were allowed in the facility. On side of the text was a knife and on the other, a pistol, and both were in red circle-slash detailing the "no weapons" policy.

Now, there I was, standing with my FAL, which very clearly was a weapon and it was very clearly exposed. What was my status entering into a gun show that was held in a building that was posted, by the county authority that manages the building, a no weapons policy?

Catch 22

I went in, any way.

Ash

If you enjoyed reading about "No Weapons allowed at Gun Show" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rachen
April 27, 2008, 07:36 PM
Maybe, when gun shows aren't held there, the building is used for conferences or exhibits of other things such as music and art. After all, it's a multi purpose public building. I think the sign was there for some other events.

Ash
April 27, 2008, 07:42 PM
Yeah, but it made no distinction. I had no doubt that they would not enforce the no-weapons policy. It was a real oxymoron to see a photo of the gun show entrance sign next to a no weapons sign.

Ash

elrod
April 27, 2008, 07:43 PM
I went in, any way.

With, or without your gun? And what happened? If they enforced the "no guns allowed", it couldn't have been much of a gun show.

Rachen
April 27, 2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah, but it made no distinction. I had no doubt that they would not enforce the no-weapons policy. It was a real oxymoron to see a photo of the gun show entrance sign next to a no weapons sign.

Ash

You should taken some pics. They would undoubtedly funny as hell. They can be used on this forum for the laughs, or someone can photoshop them further and use them to make political statements. I think Oleg Volk would have done some real magic with that photo:D:D

Carl N. Brown
April 27, 2008, 08:21 PM
Most gun shows have a No Loaded Guns policy.

Some venues where a gun show might be held may have a no weapons policy, but the definition of "weapon" may actually apply to the intent of the user rather than the object itself. That's how the "going armed" law works in Tennessee.

You can take a gun to a gun show, but you cannot go armed for purposes of offense or defense at a gun show.

bogie
April 27, 2008, 08:26 PM
There are no longer any gun shows in St. Louis City, after an "unloaded" gun went "bang" and ventilated someone's leg.

RoadkingLarry
April 27, 2008, 09:27 PM
The big Wannemachers show in Tulsa has some dolt fail to engage his brain and execute a ND every couple of years. This spring a dealer had a loaded gun on his table and a potential customer picked it up and pulled the trigger. Luckily the only thing that got ventilated was the roof of the convention center. I understand the dealer was banned form future gun shows for a year.

Ash
April 27, 2008, 09:30 PM
Well, you see, the Gun Show established the "No Loaded Guns" thing, both with signs and the police police officer doing the gun inspections - and tying off the guns with ribbon to reduce the chances of theft.

But the Forrest County signs were permanent and made no mention of whether or not the firearms were loaded.

Ash

jrfoxx
April 28, 2008, 03:11 AM
You should taken some pics
My first thought too. Standing in a line, holding a FAL, under a big "no weapons" sign, is just kinda funny. Even better, is a whole bunch of people in the line, holding rifles, near the sign for the pic too.

The Lone Haranguer
April 28, 2008, 02:11 PM
You should taken some pics. ...
At Crossroads of the West shows, there are signs saying no cameras allowed. ;) At the ones held at the state fairgrounds, the weapon restriction is that of the fairgrounds themselves.

XDKingslayer
April 28, 2008, 02:22 PM
Three options.

1. The sign is always on the building because of multiple uses.

2. The antis have finally found a way to close that pesky "gun show loophole".

3. The dealers or presenters of the gun show did it to stop FTF sales and force people to buy dealer guns.

I'll be nice and chose #1 simply to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Ash
April 28, 2008, 02:42 PM
Well, as everyone I expects understands, this is a sign kept on the building permanently. Surely folks know this is more an example of needless gun free zone non-sense than anything deeper. It was more an illustration of absurdity than anything else.

Ash

re-pete
April 28, 2008, 03:43 PM
This drives me nuts. The gun shows charge a fee for a concealed weapon permit class, and then they don't allow concealed weapons.

"Hey, pay me $50 to learn to carry a gun anywhere (except here)"

More than a few gun stores around here do it too.

I know they do it for liability reasons, but it is still frustrating.

I know that I CAN carry concealed there, but that if I am asked to leave because I am carrying and I don't leave, then I am trespassing.

I refuse to do business with gun shops that don't allow permitted concealed weapons. If they have a sign stating no guns, I don't go in.

mekender
April 28, 2008, 08:25 PM
here in NC, you cant carry a gun in ANY place that charges admission for entry... but they do have an exception for people that are participating in the event...

Jim K
April 28, 2008, 08:40 PM
Sometimes the contradictions are, well, interesting. Like the famous sign on the gate of a town cemetery - "All persons found using firearms on these grounds will be prosecuted with the utmost rigor of the law."

The town was Gettysburg, Pennsylvania and for a few days in July, 1863, the law was definitely violated, but there were no prosecutions.

Then, when Pat Buchanan was running for president, he decided to attend a gun show. His supporters handed out signs on sticks so folks could wave them for TV. But the woman head of the secret service detachment, who was apparently expecting something like a museum, went berserk when she found out the place had tens of thousands of guns and hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammo, plus knives, bayonets, etc. Not knowing what to do but fearful of being charged with failure to protect the candidate, she confiscated - the sign sticks.

Jim

Jim K
April 28, 2008, 08:46 PM
Most shows banned cameras after anti-gun TV people showed up and used the show as a background for an anti-gun presentation. One such TV "personality" cut loose with a maniacal diatribe advocating gun bans, and describing those attending as "lunatics", "murderers" and "right wing fanatics".

Jim

akodo
April 29, 2008, 02:03 AM
1. The sign is always on the building because of multiple uses.

The problem with that answer is how can you tell when the sign is supposed to be paid attention to?

Obviously, not for gunshows. But what about carrying a realisic looking flintlock as the mascot of the "Rousing Rebels" socker team, what about packing in general at the Ski Swap

A perminantly posted sign should be an absolute. Ah well, at least if someone ever gets into trouble for it, they can say 'but even the managment doesn't follow the sign, they have gun shows here all the time!'

Cosmoline
April 29, 2008, 02:32 AM
Yeah it would be a kinda weird gun show:

--Good morning sir, welcome to the gun show!
--I was just reading Elmer Keith when I had a craving for some fusils a poudre.
--Come again?
--I want to buy some guns.
--Well you've come to the right place for that sir, we've got..
--No no I'm keen to guess. Do you have any Colts?
--No sir.
--Never mind. Never cared for their lockwork. Smith & Wessons?
--Not today sir.
--Not my lucky day is it. Rugers?
--Normally sir, yes. But the van broke down.
--Winchesters?
--Yes.
--Ah, well let's have a look at them. Sally forth with the percussive implements a la Winchester s'il vous plait.
--Oh sorry sir, I thought you were calling me. Mr. Winchester, that's my name.
--Savage?
--No
--Remington?
--Not much call for them in these parts.
--Not much call for them? They're the single most popular rifle in the country!
--Not in these parts, sir.
--What is the most popular firearm in these parts, pray tell?
--Mossberg, sir.
--Is it?
--Yes they're staggeringly popular here squire.
--Do you have any?
--Nnnnnnn no sir
--I see. Mannlicher-Schoenauer?
--No
--Mannlicher-Carcano?
--Nope
--Dutch Mannlicher?
--Only on Thursdays sir.
--Argentine Mausers?
--No
--Springfield 1903's?
--Nope
--M1 Garands?
--Not at present.
--Mosin Nagants?
--Nope
--Siamese Mausers?
--No.
--Japanese Arisakas?
--Not right now.
--Have you, in fact, any firearms at this gun show?
--Yes sir! This is the best gun show in the state!
--I'm going to ask you that question again, and if you say no I'm going to smack you in the head. Do you have any firearms?
--No, they're not allowed in the building I'm afraid.

Ash
April 29, 2008, 07:33 AM
Where is John Cleese when you need him...

Ash

sixgunner455
April 29, 2008, 02:44 PM
The last gun show I went to had a no loaded guns policy, and a guy at the door asked if you were packing. If so, he asked you to unload, and then applied a zip tie.

Funny about that sign on the door.

IllHunter
April 29, 2008, 02:53 PM
a guy at the door asked if you were packing.Hopefully he was wearing blue and had a shiny star on his chest.:D

Flame Red
April 29, 2008, 03:22 PM
Then, when Pat Buchanan was running for president, he decided to attend a gun show. His supporters handed out signs on sticks so folks could wave them for TV. But the woman head of the secret service detachment, who was apparently expecting something like a museum, went berserk when she found out the place had tens of thousands of guns and hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammo, plus knives, bayonets, etc. Not knowing what to do but fearful of being charged with failure to protect the candidate, she confiscated - the sign sticks.

Least we forget our firend Fred Thomson who made the rounds at the Lakeland Fun show last year!

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/flamedred//09-15-07_1018.jpg

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/flamedred//09-15-07_1017.jpg

CAPTAIN MIKE
April 29, 2008, 06:08 PM
Here in Las Vegas, we regularly have gun shows at Cashman Field. There are similar signs on the doors but if you bring your firearm anyway, there is a table where you 'check in' and have your firearm rendered non-firing by inserting one of those plastic ties through the chamber and the barrell. They look at your documentation, and you're on your way into the facility.

TehK1w1
April 29, 2008, 07:25 PM
Does that sign have any legal meaning in Mississippi?

Ash
April 29, 2008, 08:14 PM
Don't know. But if the government says no weapons allowed (government facility) I would think they would have jurisdiction. But then, I don't know for certain.

Ash

Zedicus
April 29, 2008, 08:22 PM
The Boise Gun Show has one policy that bugs me, any OC'd Pistol has to be unloaded, slide locked back and a bright zip tie ran through the ejection port and barrel.

CCW is ok to go as far as I know but the OC one is dumb if you ask me.

Could be worse I suppose....

jrfoxx
April 29, 2008, 11:14 PM
Don't know. But if the government says no weapons allowed (government facility) I would think they would have jurisdiction.
one would assume, but thats often not the case. They will still post the signs as a CYA, or to discourage/mislead people into THINKING it has force of law. I have seen "no weapons" signs posted in/on govt buildings that are bogus/misleading, since LEGAL ccw was allowed in those places by law. Its a cya and/or scare tactic. The sign usually included a referance to the pertinant law (I.E. ORS 479.10(a)), but not the text, or full text. You have to look up the law yourself to see the part where permit holder are exempt, or the law is about UNLAWFUL carry. done to be intentionally misleading quit often.The yjust dont enforce, since they know they cant, but the sign is used to make you THINK they can enforce it. ;) sneaky arse politicians.

sixgunner455
April 30, 2008, 01:05 PM
Hopefully he was wearing blue and had a shiny star on his chest.

Nope, gunshow employee.

bogie
April 30, 2008, 01:10 PM
You know, what we need is one big thread, for all the new folks, who have gone to their first gun show, and been amazed that they aren't allowing folks to carry in their loaded boomsticks, so that holes can be shot in the walls, ceiling, roof, floor, exhibits, exhibitors, patrons, Jerky Guy, beanie babies, roach-wagon, and promoters.

Guys, having been a gun show vendor, I'm -glad- that they make folks unload and zip tie. Because there are some REAL geniuses out there... Remember - for every one of you guys out there with a 125 IQ, there's a fellow wandering around with a 75... And he wants to yank on those triggers while his lips make "boom-boom" noises.

Ash
April 30, 2008, 01:52 PM
Well, since dealers are the leading cause of ND's at gun shows, it seems like there should be inspection in more than one location.

In any case, this thread went so far beyond the mildly-amusing somewhat comical irony of attended a gun show where no weapons are allowed...

Ash

mojohand
April 30, 2008, 02:13 PM
That's why I don't drive to the car shows!

jrfoxx
April 30, 2008, 02:56 PM
Guys, having been a gun show vendor, I'm -glad- that they make folks unload and zip tie. Because there are some REAL geniuses out there... Remember - for every one of you guys out there with a 125 IQ, there's a fellow wandering around with a 75... And he wants to yank on those triggers while his lips make "boom-boom" noises.

my only complaint is that these same people are everywhere else too, not just at gun shows. So, those saying that because of them (not the rest of us who are, and will be smart and safe), it's ok to disarm permit holders at gun shows, must certainly be ok with all of us being disarmed everywhere else too,except maybe our own property, right? I mean, why not, these same 75 IQ people may yank on their triggers on the sidewalk, at the mall, at the store, a restaurant, etc, so for safety, no more carry for anyone, anywhere, except maybe our own property. sound good? stupid people can, and will be stupid ANYWHERE. Are they more LIKELY to be stupid at a gun show, of the sake of argument, lets Say yes.Either way, why is it ok to disarm me, because of what a STUPID person, not me, MAY do? When anti lawmakers want to take away all our "assault weapons", because of what a psycho or criminal, not we, MAY do, we are all up in arms about how thats not right to punish the innocent and law abiding for what others MAY do. How is this any diffrent?

Just saying, once we, of all people, start saying its ok to disarm everyone, based on what another person MAY do, we put OURSELVES on that slippery slope. Very dangerous, and something antis and their lawmakers can and eventually will, quickly latch on to, and expand on saying "see, even gun owners and permit holders admit, it's not safe, and for the children!" Certainly not a big stretch to say it very possible. They have proven they will use anything, and using one of "us" against ourselves, gets them all foaming at the mouth. (see Jim Zumbo's words from his article read into record in Congress, as one of "us" saying assault weapons are bad, and should be banned, for example).

BTW, not picking on Bogie specifically, just because I quoted him. He's not alone in these discussions by any means. His words were just closest, and very well stated (as usual). I agree with him on things about 99% of the time. Just not this time;)

bogie
April 30, 2008, 07:38 PM
Well, I worry about Bubba Mouthbreather seeing that another customer has a holstered weapon, grabbing the thing (and you -know- that happens - that's why they invented retention holsters), and giving it a try... Or he could walk in there, boomstick and CCW both in hand, and have his booger picker on the trigger while he proves that he's professional enough to shove his Glock .40 into a holster...

IMHO, if I'm in a gun store, and Bubba walks in with his boomstick in his pocket, and announces he wants to buy a holster, he better take it out darn slow, and unload, and PROVE that it is unloaded, etc., etc... They're fine in a holster, but someone takes one out, well, if they get stupid (and people have been known to do so...), maybe someone gets dead. And the show gets sued. And the show goes out of business.

Ever hear a shot at a gun show? I have. There was Dead Silence immediately following it. And it was a customer, not a dealer.

If you enjoyed reading about "No Weapons allowed at Gun Show" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!