What's causing these casing dents?

PDA

PhilA
April 27, 2008, 09:34 PM
I just got back from the range today and, after policing my brass, I noticed every single round had a crescent-shaped dent on the side of the casing. I've attached a quick webcam shot of it (sorry for the image quality, but its probably good enough for the purposes of this discussion) so everyone can see what I'm talking about.

I'm shooting a Kimber ProCarryII, and recently had the frame replaced by Kimber. While it was in the shop, they said they also replaced the extractor. I've only put 200 rounds through it since the replacement.

Any ideas before I call Kimber and ask them?

If you enjoyed reading about "What's causing these casing dents?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jason_G
April 27, 2008, 09:49 PM
Ejector?

Jason

1SOW
April 27, 2008, 09:55 PM
Ejector would be my guess too, but obviously something is wrong. May be the new extractor is causing this heavy hit by the ejector (or whatever), I'd call Kimber yesterday.

Dobe
April 27, 2008, 10:00 PM
On a 1911 platform, you usually see this on a slide that does not have a relieved ejection port. In other words, the brass is hitting the back of the ejection port as it is ejecting.

xring44
April 27, 2008, 10:05 PM
Is the back of the ejection port showing some brass flecks, I'd guess that the case is slamming the back of the ejection port on ejection.

I'm not a smith by any sense of the term, but thankfully, we have some good'ns on here!

Walkalong
April 27, 2008, 10:08 PM
An extended ejector may get them out quicker and clear that up, which is not really a problem, but then again it may not. I installed one on a Kimber CDP Pro and it helped ejection quite a bit, but there are no guarantees. The shape of the tip of the ejector can make a lot of difference too.

kd7nqb
April 27, 2008, 11:28 PM
Ok dumb question, if the problem happens in the ejection stage and he only noticed it after he was done shooting we can assume its not affecting reliability.

If you dont reload do you care what your brass looks like when it comes out?

Of course if either reliability or safety is an issue with this then it should be remedied immediately.

Also if you reload you may sudden become interested in what your brass looks like.

jenrob
April 28, 2008, 02:17 AM
If you dont reload do you care what your brass looks like when it comes out?

Just a guess but It looks like he either reloads or is plannig on it. otherwise I would leave my brass.

Course he could be recycling it.

RON in PA
April 28, 2008, 04:51 AM
The dings are very common and do not affect reloading.

Dobe
April 28, 2008, 09:02 AM
Actually, out of all the 1911's I own, I don't get any dings. Before it became common practice to relieve the ports on 1911's, bad dings were quiet common.

rbernie
April 28, 2008, 10:02 AM
I'd guess that the case is slamming the back of the ejection port on ejection.Correct; the ding is not caused by the ejector (which is on the left side of the frame and works by smacking the base of the brass and forcing it to snap to the right) but by the ejection process slamming the brass into the ejection port on the way out.

It's harmless.

You can get OCD and alter the length/nose shape of the ejector to miniize this, but IMO until the brass is bouncing back into the action it's probably not worth the effort.

The dings are very common and do not affect reloading.Exactly so - the brass will still shoot fine.

Canuc Shooter
April 28, 2008, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't worry about it at all. If the gun is functioning okay, and you have no other concerns, then forget about it. If you are planning on reloading , the sizing die will make them all purdy again.

PhilA
April 28, 2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all the input.

Yes, I'm considering reloading, so I'm saving all my brass. Seems the resizing die will take care of the ding (though I wonder if the ding will affect the metal's integrity and shorten its reload life?).

The issue hasn't affected the gun's performance--I didn't have a single misfeed, failure to eject or any other performance issue.

After a few weeks away from the range, I DID however notice a few holes in the -1 area of my target that weren't there on my last outing...Wonder if the dings are responsible for that, too. ;)

WSM MAGNUM
April 28, 2008, 08:43 PM
PhilA,
I posted this same question a while back. My Kimber does the same thing. My cases looked like that when my gun was new. Now with close to 750-1000 rounds through it, it is hardly noticeable. It just looks like a line now.
Most of the crease will iron out when you resize them. It will not harm your dies and there is no need to throw the brass away.
So say`s Tuner. :)

DistantHorizon
April 28, 2008, 08:54 PM
IMHO, the dings are unlikely to significantly affect the life expectancy of a .45acp case. It operates at relatively low pressure (compared to 9mm or .40S&W, for example). I think other issues (like belling the case mouth at every reload) will kill that case before ejection dings become a factor.

But that's just my very limited experience; probably a good question for a reloading forum.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's causing these casing dents?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!