New shooter. need some opnions

PDA

Mokiloki
April 27, 2008, 10:06 PM
hey guys, ive been reading here for the past 3 months about auto's. I grew up shooting .22s and am looking to get into competive shooting. also looking for a reliable hand gun, ammo not extremly expensive, fun to shoot and get good at. something that is not more then 600$ looking at the neos u22 plinker, also looking for something with a lil more punch like a 9mm. Please give your opinions, they are much appricated! (native san diego)

If you enjoyed reading about "New shooter. need some opnions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jhoff8487
April 27, 2008, 10:19 PM
I've got a Neos. It's a fine weapon but there are other .22 pistols I'd get before it(I like my Ruger 22/45 better and the Buckmarks are nicer too). As far as a 9mm, I'd look at a SIG 229 DAK. I just picked one up(less than $600) at CDNN a few weeks ago and it's a sweet shooter that is extremely accurate. CDNN also has Steyr M9-A1s for a steal of a price at $340. I've got a M40-A1 that is fantastic and well worth the $300 I payed for it used last year. Happy shooting.

.38 Special
April 27, 2008, 10:24 PM
Can't help you with the *yawn* 9mm (lol) but the Ruger .22 autopistol has been the standard for decades. That's where I'd start, if I were you.

Mokiloki
April 27, 2008, 10:44 PM
so lets say something under 450? (i will end up shooting alot) looking for realible, and accurate (is wolf ammo good) im very new to auto loaders so i have alot of questions.

Mokiloki
April 27, 2008, 10:45 PM
9mm that is, also ive heard great reviews about the luger and the neos, im stuck in a hard place with that one. (what does the luger usually run?

Mavrick12
April 27, 2008, 11:18 PM
Oh a Luger? You can get a shooter for $500 or something, I havent checked in years. Some other member will probably come and school me on that.

Lugers are good guns. They are finicky with a lot of ammo. Its got to like the shape of the bullet. It is also sensitive to dirt, and cant really feed JHP( Hollow points ).

My first 9mm was a Ruger P85. The P series is very robust, and Doesnt break the bank.

If You were talking about a ruger 22, Disreguard everything Ive said haha.
Good .22s are Browning Buckmarks and Ruger 22/45s. Also, Ruger Mark II or IIIs are really good, the classic .22.

If you enjoyed reading about "New shooter. need some opnions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!