Classic Cast Turret Question

PDA

17Chap
April 28, 2008, 11:19 AM
I'm getting one for 223 for my AR. I usually prime by hand. If I won't be using the priming tool, do I need the riser for the Auto Disk Pro?

17Chap

If you enjoyed reading about "Classic Cast Turret Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
strat81
April 28, 2008, 11:24 AM
No, because the universal rifle charging die is already tall enough.

SSN Vet
April 28, 2008, 11:34 AM
priming with the safety prime is easy cheasy.....

kenjs1
April 28, 2008, 02:59 PM
why on earth would you not use the safety prime ? ?

17Chap
April 28, 2008, 03:04 PM
kenjs1:

Never used one. I'm looking to add one to my purchase.

A riser is recommended by the suppliers, thus my question. So the riser is needed with the primer attached???

Chap

jsconnelly
April 28, 2008, 03:31 PM
So the riser is needed with the primer attached???

Yes. It will provides clearance for the powder measure to get by the safety prime.

Personally, I hand prime because my safety prime kept breaking. The "spring" that brings it back after releasing the primer kept popping out of it's hole. It was a pain. I bought a couple replacement heads for small primers but have become adjusted to the hand primer.

kenjs1
May 1, 2008, 10:47 AM
17chap, just a word or two about the press. Things I love about it: the quality, the spent primer tube, ability to easily remove the index rod and use it single stage, the cheap costs allow you to keep preloaded turrets for each caliber and is the definition of convenient, and the fact that the Lee Wesbsite has many short video's that show installation and use of parts. Suggestions: Use some light grease on the slide and lube the joints and it will have a great feel to it. Spread just a little light grease on the primer assembly, along the sides and where it pivots, and dab the outside of the primer holder so that it slides in and out nice and slick. Doing this really enhances the operation and gives it a precise feeling, liquid smooth motion. Enjoy.

17Chap
May 2, 2008, 06:33 AM
Thanks to everyone.

I've been out of town and hope the press will have arrived when I return. Since I resize and trim before I start to recharge the cases I'll probably set mine up like the guy on Youtube, Freetoreload, I believe. He has a resizing die in the first hole but doesn't use it.

Is it necessary for balance sake to have a die there when it is not used?

Chap

stubbicatt
May 2, 2008, 08:15 AM
I've never had a lick of trouble from my Safety Prime system, nor for that matter the indexing rod. This with many thousands of rounds through the press.

Sigh.

I guess if it hasn't happened, it will. Perhaps I should buy some small parts...

RustyFN
May 2, 2008, 08:28 PM
I load 223 on a classic and use the safety prime. It's too easy. Cheak out this video, it's basicly the same way I load 223. http://youtube.com/watch?v=zOpN9iYOyE8
Rusty

If you enjoyed reading about "Classic Cast Turret Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!