Lee Classic turret die problem

PDA

isuace
April 28, 2008, 12:46 PM
Ok, so being a newbie I don't know if I set something up wrong or if I'm just doing something wrong.
This is the problem that I'm having. On the decapper/sizing die and the Factory Crimp Die, the case will often (95%+ of the time) hit the bottom of the die and I will have to push it back slightly in order for it to move up inside of the die. The other two dies (powder die and bullet seating die) work fine, they never get caught up. I have tried orienting the case holder in different directions and always try to put the case as far back as possible so that it wont get caught up.
Am I doing something wrong, or is there an adjustment I should make? Manually adjusting the cases on these two steps really slows down the process.
TIA

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Classic turret die problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tac_driver
April 28, 2008, 01:04 PM
did you read the die instructions? The decapper die if it is carbide it is not suppose to touch when the handle is in the down position. I have mine set and 1/32" from touching the shell holder.
It sounds like you are having a indexing problem. Put the ram half way up the indexing rod, then turn the turret untill it locks in on a die station. Put the handle in the up position and it should lock on the next die position.

Grandpa Shooter
April 28, 2008, 01:06 PM
Are you using it as a progressive or rotating the turret by hand? It sounds to me as though you are rotating it abruptly and the brass is leaning a little because of it. You also should check if the surface the press is mounted on is level front to back and side to side.

You also don't mention if it is pistol or rifle and what brand dies you are using.

jsconnelly
April 28, 2008, 02:06 PM
did you read the die instructions? The decapper die if it is carbide it is not suppose to touch when the handle is in the down position. I have mine set and 1/32" from touching the shell holder.

Really? I thought it was set to touch firmly in the ram raised position plus 1/4 turn in.

Is it 9mm? Mine does the same thing with the decapper/sizing 9mm die even in single stage mode. No problem in 45. I've become used to it. I guide the case with my fingers.

Edit: I just re-read your post and if your FCD is doing the same thing, there must really be a problem unless you are loading wadcutters. I'd think the taper of the bullet would guide it right in.

isuace
April 28, 2008, 02:34 PM
Yes, its 9mm.
I have a sneaking suspicion that my bench is not 100% level front to back. That could explain them leaning forward slightly, I'll have to check that when I get home.

jfh
April 28, 2008, 02:43 PM
1. The correct setting for the #1 die is + 1/4 turn after getting firm contact. That takes the "slack" out of the system.

2. Your "leaning" problem is caused by your bench not being level--it probably tilts a hair forward. (Did you build it on a basement floor? They often have a slight pitch for water to run to a drain.) If it's on a wood floor, the joists may simply have deflected, or the concentrated load you have in the area (bullets, etc.) plus the press action is creating the deflection.

In addition to the base frame pitch, you may also have to fine-tune the indexing--but that, too, can go away as you development the "muscle memory" and subconsciously speed up / slow your stroke so that the misalignment doesn't happen.

I have the same problem with my standard Turret--and, in my case, the bench edge tilts because of the concrete floor pitch. So far, I have not reshimmed the base or the press to level it. I have simply gotten in a habit to press the case back with my (left) thumb as it the case starts into the die mouth. And, so far, I've only pinched that thumb a bit, twice in about 10,000 rounds.

Jim H.

RustyFN
April 28, 2008, 07:09 PM
If the case is lining up with all of the dies except the sizing die then it's probably not an alignment problem. Turn your shell holder so the opening is at the 9 o-clock position. That will normally fix that problem.
Rusty

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Classic turret die problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!