rcbs synthetic calipers

PDA

mike6161
April 28, 2008, 03:29 PM
I just got a rcbs synthetic caliper and don't know how to use them. I can't find them on RCBS or any were if you know how to use them can you help me.

a pictures wroth a 1000 words
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa205/mikem6161/100_0950.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa205/mikem6161/100_0952.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa205/mikem6161/100_0953.jpg

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "rcbs synthetic calipers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Bushmaster
April 28, 2008, 03:35 PM
You have a vernier scale calipers. You measure by eye in that you have to find the two corrisponding lines that line up. Find the second set of lines that line up and add them together and so-on. My personal thought? Disgard them and spend $25.00 and get a set of DIAL calipers...Life will be MUCH easier...Just a thought because I have always hated those kind of calipers and have only dial...

rcmodel
April 28, 2008, 03:48 PM
http://www.physics.smu.edu/~scalise/apparatus/caliper/

http://elsmar.com/pdf_files/Caliper%20Operation%20instructions.pdf

But Bushmasters advice is the best concerning those things.

Throw them away, or only use them to measure whole inches.

Way to easy to make a critical mistake in reloading work with them.

rcmodel

Shoney
April 28, 2008, 04:39 PM
And the correct answer for the correct length is probably, most likely behind DOOOOOOooooooooOOOOOORRRR___NUUuuuummmBEEEEER___Thr--- NO! NO! Wait! Wait! - - - - Give me a second here,- - - - its most definitely behind the door marked - - - UHHHHHHH!!! No! No! UHHHHHHH!!! Letís see, itís behind - -
OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Shinola!!! :what:

Get the dial calipers!:evil::D:D

rcmodel
April 28, 2008, 04:47 PM
For us old timers who remember using slide rules, (before they invented transisters & calculators) vernier calipers are pretty easy to figure out.

For you young guys, fogedaboutit!
It isn't worth learning how to read one anymore!

rcmodel

jfh
April 28, 2008, 04:48 PM
I inherited two beautiful Swiss-made calipers--with measurements in mm., of course, and vernier scales as well. Because of the sentimental value attached, I tried to learn to use them. I can get around metrics OK, although I like a simple calculator to do it--and I once could use a slide rule just fine.

It wasn't worth the effort.

Get the dial, or a cheap LCD readout.

Jim H.

tblt
April 28, 2008, 04:51 PM
look up MSC online an buy yourself a good set of dial or digital calipers.
follow this link and these are an ok pair for what you need them for and will last you as long as you reload.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=5788999&PMT4NO=42043249

There are better and more expensive one's but if you don't use them 8 hrs a day everyday you don't need to pay over 100 bucks for a pair.

jmorris
April 28, 2008, 04:59 PM
Get the dial, or a cheap LCD readout.

If you get a set of digital calipers you’d better learn how to use the verniers also, as your battery is going to be dead when you want to use them. Dial is what you’re looking for and for your use a $20 (steel) dial caliper from harbor freight will do the job.

mike6161
April 28, 2008, 05:11 PM
so it would just be batter to get dial calipers can i go to the ace and get one or do i have to get one made for reloading

rcmodel
April 28, 2008, 05:15 PM
No.
Any inch scale dial-caliper from any source will work fine for reloading.

Avoid metric scale calipers, and you are good to go.

Harbor Freight has the best deal if you have one near you.

rcmodel

tblt
April 28, 2008, 07:57 PM
any calipers will work the same some are just better than others.
I bought my first one's at sears.
I have owned 6 calipers over the years and my brown and sharp were the best.I don't like digital cals.

mrawesome22-250
April 28, 2008, 09:32 PM
For you young guys, fogedaboutit!
It isn't worth learning how to read one anymore!

sur its are good batter howa to reed 1/ itt wil gave yoo sum goud geeneril nahligde.

All kidding aside, my Grandfather taught me how to read vernier calipers when I was a boy. So when I started reloading I just used verniers. They are very easy to read and can't lose zero like digital and dial.

Walkalong
April 28, 2008, 10:55 PM
Check out your local Harbor Freight. (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47257) Unless you get to measuring in the 10/1000 ths of an inch, these will do quite well.

280shooter
April 28, 2008, 10:58 PM
I used that for years then moved on to dials,

Wildfire
April 28, 2008, 11:30 PM
Hey There:
Get rid of those. Ya we used them many years ago. That was then now is now. You can buy cheap dial calipers that will work just fine for $25.00 maybe even less. I just bought a new Starret on sale for $120.00 Model 799.
They are some of the best out there. But you wont need that kind of quailty.
I reload also but use these for machine work.

Walkalong
April 29, 2008, 07:45 AM
Yep. My Brown & Sharp calipers stay in the box unless it is a critical measurement. The cheapo ones from Harbor Freight work just fine for 99% of your reloading needs and are easy to read.

cracked butt
April 29, 2008, 08:52 AM
I agree with all of the above- get a cheap $25 set of dial calipers. The dial calipers in this price range are all made in China and are branded out to different suppliers. Don't pay an extra $10 or $20 because it says RCBS or Lyman on them- the next quality level starts at $100.

FWIW, I once had a plastic set of dial calipers- avoid plastic measuring tools with moving parts as well.

The Bushmaster
April 29, 2008, 10:02 AM
Well darn cracked butt...That means I'll have to throw away my Lyman yellow plastic dial calipers that I have had for 20 years. Thanks for telling me they are no good :D(actually he's right. They flex too much). I have a set of Starret dial calipers that I've had for around 45 years. They stay in my tool box along with the rest of my micrometers and dial indicators. The set on my loading bench are a set that I bought from Midway for around $25 and have been in service for about 10 years and it's all you need for reloading.

Walkalong
April 29, 2008, 10:22 AM
I'll have to throw away my Lyman yellow plastic dial calipers that I have had for 20 years. Thanks for telling me they are no good :D(actually he's right. They flex too much). Yeh, they do. I leave mine laying around the shed for rough measurements.

Wildfire
April 29, 2008, 12:07 PM
Hey :We all agree on some things.... Good tools are good tools and junk is junk.:)

The Bushmaster
April 29, 2008, 03:04 PM
Walkalong...I used them for around 5 years until I noticed that the jaws were wearing where the case mouth was placed for measurment...But yeh. They reside on the work bench (not the loading bench) for just that. Quick rough measurments...

cracked butt
April 29, 2008, 04:40 PM
That means I'll have to throw away my Lyman yellow plastic dial calipers that I have had for 20 years.

I don't even know where mine are anymore- probably made their way to the bottom of a drawer somewhere, mine are/were RCBS, iirc.

If you enjoyed reading about "rcbs synthetic calipers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!