The Holy Grail

PDA

kentucky_smith
April 28, 2008, 06:32 PM
ihazit

:evil:

http://www.shepsworld.com/grail/pythona.JPG

http://www.shepsworld.com/grail/python2.JPG

Been looking for one of these for awhile. 1968 model.

That is all. :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "The Holy Grail" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
doc2rn
April 28, 2008, 06:40 PM
Nope, I just picked up my Ruger LCP today, getting one was harder than getting cosmo off a Mossin without heat.

kentucky_smith
April 28, 2008, 06:49 PM
Ruger =/= Python. :blaspheme:

Also picked this up on the same trip:
70 Series LWC.
http://www.shepsworld.com/grail/lwc.JPG

Oro
April 28, 2008, 06:56 PM
Oops, thought I was opening a thread about a S&W .44 special Target Triple Lock, ANIB.

No, seriously, that is a nice Python. I like the LWC, too. I am looking for one in the near future. Technically, though, it's a "Pre-80" - the Commanders never got the "Series 70" treatment like the Gov't. Model (collet bushing), so were never "Series 70." This is one of those petty things Colt heads like to berate you about at gun shows if you make a mis-statement (ask me how I know).

doc2rn
April 28, 2008, 07:02 PM
My 1956 1911 Colt 45 is a nice find for $600 ~96%, but I really want a Diamondback in .22lr. I like a smooth revo action from before I was born, over the new ones. That Python is a sweet find, enjoy.

kentucky_smith
April 28, 2008, 07:33 PM
I was going by this:

Models

Pre-Series 70 Commander - "LW" prefix, 9mm .38 Super, .45, alloy frame model only, 1950-1976

Series 70 Lightweight Commander - "CLW" prefix, .30 Luger (7.65mm), .38 Super, 9mm, .45, 1970-1983

Series 70 Combat Commander - Steel frame, rare satin nickel variant

Series 80 Lightweight Commander - .45, 1983-1997

Series 80 Combat Commander - .38 Super, 9mm, .45, blue slide and stainless receiver variant with Hogue grips in 1998 only, blued, stainless and satin nickel variants.

Gold Cup Commander - .45, blued and stainless variants

M1991A1 Commander - .45, blued and stainless variants

XSE Series Commander - .45, stainless

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/Commander_evolution.htm

probably should have started this thread in general handgun, although my intentions were to start about the Python.

Oro
April 28, 2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah, that just notes the serial number changes, I think, and NOT what the factory called the guns (that's someone's unofficial take on it). But there weren't any engineering changes, and the slides weren't marked "Series 70." This is what the purists get picky about. Colt changed the naming on the commanders at the same time as the introduction of the Mk IV/70 ("combat" and "lightweight"), but never called them "70."

Anyway, it's nitpicking - I don't care dramatically. I know what you mean. To me, not having the firing pin bushing is what's important, not what's rollmarked on the slide or collet vs solid bushing (I still shoot my '70 GM with the collet - I like it). Here's an old THR thread where some of the "experts" hashed it out:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-120552.html

03Shadowbob
April 28, 2008, 11:12 PM
I love those!! Congrats.

madcratebuilder
April 29, 2008, 07:42 AM
I sold my Python and bought a N frame. For me, a M27 is a better shooter.

Stainz
April 29, 2008, 09:07 AM
I've shot a cherry, LN, Python... nice. This is better, trigger-wise and longevity-wise. It's a Miculek PC627 V-Comp. Eight rounds is better, too. To each their own, of course. I swapped a LNIB Heritage 24 for this - also LNIB - several years back... great deal for both of us, as I am not fond of blued revolvers.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_0282_edited.jpg

As to the best .45 ACP handguns I've ever shot, I still own it - a 625JM. The last good bottom-feeder I owned was my G21 - great dependable/boring/lackluster/Tupperware case-tosser. Always worked - never jammed - accurate - the most character-less firearm I've ever owned. Sorry, I got tired of carrying 1911s on watch (USN).

My glee over buying that new Heritage 24 6.5" blued - like my QC-problem-laden '83 vintage LNIB/20yr safe-setter similar 24, was ruined by my recollection of the ease with which blued guns develop 'character' - and my thrill when S&W introduced their SS 60 many moons ago. Of course, a real 'Triple-Lock' might just be my Holy Grail...

Stainz

Phil DeGraves
April 29, 2008, 09:27 AM
"For me, a M27 is a better shooter."

+1 on that, although, if I had a Python, I don't thimk I'd get rid of it. Just get the M27(s) also.

Phil DeGraves
April 29, 2008, 09:28 AM
My personal Holy Grail was a .38 Spl Second Gen Colt SAA.

kentucky_smith
April 29, 2008, 09:42 AM
I've always felt the 27s were oversized and don't fit my hands well. The Python just feels right, and with my past experience shooting a King Cobra, I tend to shoot the Colt Da better. Wouldn't kick a nice 27 or a nice 25 out of the gunsafe for eating crackers, though.

SaxonPig
April 29, 2008, 10:10 AM
(Nit-picking switch on.)

Maybe I'm wrong but to me the term "Holy Grail" implies something rare or hard to find. Pythons are pricey but not hard to find.

(Nit-picking switch off.)

XDKingslayer
April 29, 2008, 10:17 AM
As soon as I read it I knew it was a Python.

kentucky_smith
April 29, 2008, 10:21 AM
Everyone has their own grail, mine just happened to be a Royal Blue 4" pristine 1968 Colt Python.

SaxonPig
April 29, 2008, 11:58 AM
You were seeking a 1968 model?

Well, OK, looking for a specific year sort of qualifies.

1BLINDREF
April 29, 2008, 12:01 PM
Nice Python!
I've got a few different Holy Grails including a 6" Stainless Python ;)

gb6491
April 29, 2008, 12:15 PM
Congrats on finding your personal holy grail. That Commander is pretty nice as well.
Regards,
Greg

10X
April 29, 2008, 12:41 PM
If a 4" Python is your holy grail, then good for you. Enjoy!

Colt revolvers just never felt right in my hand. S&Ws did. I ended up selling my Pythons for decent prices, so no regrets.

LightningMan
April 29, 2008, 12:48 PM
Here's my Holy Grail; http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t64/WBR_photo/Dsc_0001.jpg
For those whom don't know it's a 1st Model Richards Colt 1860 Army Conversion in .44 Colt Cal. This one was manufactured in 1872 and yes I have shot it with some black powder cartridges. Haven't shot it much (less than 50 rds.) as it is a collectable gun but I just had to shoot it. It just brought a smile to my face every time I pulled the trigger and to see those big plumes of smoke & fire come out of the barrel, I was in awe.:D LM

mnw42
April 29, 2008, 01:25 PM
FYI... The XSE commanders can be had in a LW .38 Super, LW .45 and SS .45

Rokyudai
April 29, 2008, 03:18 PM
Python and Holy Grail's go together just fine... especially if the first name is Monty...

and you are lucky because that is a gorgeous Python! :D

Savage99
April 29, 2008, 03:53 PM
I had a 6" Python about when the Ruger .44 Blackhawk came out. My buddy had the Ruger and I tried to get the little .357 to keep up.

I could not shoot that gun well. It was too barrel heavy for me. Finally the forcing cone split open and while Colt replaced the barrel I got rid of it and got a Blackhawk in .45.

Hutch
April 30, 2008, 02:29 PM
Mine would be a 3.5 inch Registered Magnum. And a like-new '67 Jaguar XKE Roadster, in red.

Savage99
April 30, 2008, 11:29 PM
When the Jaguar XKE first came out I went up to Palotti & Poole in Hartford, CT to see it. At that time I drove a 1956 Corvette.

Keep in mind that I was just out of school and getting started so I did not have much money and certainly not the price of a new Jaguar.

So there it was in the showroom. Looking it over sour grapes took over and as I looked into the 'cockpit' I noticed that it did not have a radio. I commented "$5000 and no radio"

The salesman was nearby and he retorted "In an XKE a radio is superfluous"!

I thought I knew what it meant but I looked it up when I got home. :)

http://www.rowenashores.com/img/xke-engine.jpg

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
May 1, 2008, 01:08 AM
Pythons are very, VERY sweet - congrats. But I think 1930s registered magnums (or Colt SAAs) are the holy grail, no? :)

Peter M. Eick
May 3, 2008, 04:21 PM
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/eickpm/python_2400.jpg

Yes the python is nice and can handle some decent loads. Here is 50 shots at 15 yrds offhand. But nothing is like the Registered Magnum.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/eickpm/single_action.jpg

50 shots, 15yrds, offhand, same load of 2400 as above. The Registered is the Holy Grail, the Python is a decent shooter.

SaxonPig
May 3, 2008, 06:00 PM
As always, individual results will vary, but I think in most cases the Colts will shoot a little better than the Smiths. Been my experience, anyway. Even with the legendary Registered Magnum.

Python group:

http://www.fototime.com/AB7CECF844113D3/standard.jpg

RM:

http://www.fototime.com/6E233DC6AF3FD86/standard.jpg

DarkSoldier
May 3, 2008, 07:47 PM
To Lightningman,

That truly is a holy grail! Mine would be the Colt Open-Top in 44 rim-fire.

Respectfully,

DarkSoldier

ceadermtnboy
May 3, 2008, 08:00 PM
I can see why you consider the python a great find. When it comes to looks the 4" model definely gives every other revolver including the mode 27 a run for its money. I think the ultimate holey grail of handguns would be one each. Python royal blue 4" barrel, S&W 520 NYSP model, and S&W 29 with 4" barrel. All with walnut or other fancey stocks! Any pictures out there to complete this tri-fector?

Master Blaster
May 3, 2008, 09:13 PM
I was expecting a registered magnum 1936 ANIB with all tools and papers.

Holy grail indeed

Brian Williams
May 4, 2008, 08:17 AM
Nice Python, Mine is a S&W model 19 from June of 1956. I saw one that lettered to the 14th, My birthday is the 9th.

Or a S&W 10-5 that was sold commercially as a overrun from a foreign order that has a 3" intermediate barrel and a round butt.

Peter M. Eick
May 4, 2008, 03:41 PM
Saxon,

You are in general correct in your statement. My experience has been that my colt's tend to shoot better then my Smith's. Hence the reason I collect Smith's and shoot my Colt's.

I just happen to have a very good shooting Registered and a really accurate 38/44 OD. Those are my favorite Smith shooters.

lionking
May 4, 2008, 04:13 PM
A 6 inch blued Python is on my grail list.I almost got one except instead I went for a CMP collectors grade Garand,a holy grail itself.

I like S&W,I like Colt.Colt action always seem so smooth though out of the box.

Another holy grail of mine is a 1950's S&W K-22 magnum.I have a K22 .22lr passed down from dad and its a excellent shooter.But the magnum one is rather rare.

I just got a Colt 1909 .45 so that was one I wanted for a while also.

lionking
May 4, 2008, 04:23 PM
ok,I didn't know about the registered magnum.I see there are a limited production on new ones 8 shot cylinder.

I don't know the history on them,I'll have see how old they go back.I guess from the 40's?

Gawd why did I have to learn about these S&W's?...now I want one of them and a Python.:uhoh:

Hawk
May 4, 2008, 07:19 PM
I'm without a handgun grail at the moment - it's rather like the hole that's left when a tooth is extracted.

A specific year Python as per the OP seems like a nice grail. I had one with regard to a 1976 870TB but the '78 model I scored took some of the urgency off and it's not a handgun anyway.

I've got a Python and a 27 but not a specific year Python or a PRE-27. Neither does there appear to be much in the way of urgency in getting one or the other.

For some reason, quite beyond my ability to discern why... lies a late production safety hammerless. Don't know why - just does. ANIB lemon squeezer just might be it.

In non-handgun stuff, there's always Beretta's Diana set but I think you have to buy the company to get it - kind of like the crown jewels.

Vern Humphrey
May 4, 2008, 07:28 PM
This is to inform you all that you cannot refer to a firearm as the Holy Grail. I have already trademarked that name.

The Holy Grail is my 1938 Colt Woodsman with Micro sights -- and there isn't room on this planet for another Holy Grail.:neener:

SaxonPig
May 4, 2008, 07:37 PM
Peter- I am not implying that Smiths don't shoot well, just that in general a similar quality Colt TENDS to shoot a tad better.

lionking- The Registered Magnum dates to 1935 and was the revolver that introduced of the new .357 Magnum cartridge. Of course, S&W referred to the gun simply as "The 357 Magnum" and the RM name was coined by collectors at a later date.

The RMS were a totally custom job and top of the line in deluxe features but were popular with police because of the power of the new Magnum round.

kentucky_smith
May 4, 2008, 08:57 PM
Ah honey, where have you been all my life.

Took out the Colt's today for a little shooting. The 70-series GC NM, a 1970 LWC, the l-series New Frontier and the Python.

I've never shot a revolver so good, especially one that made my Gold Cup seem "rough". I could never shoot a 19/10/66/686/36/637 or even my old King Cobra this well. DA or SA every time I pulled the trigger was 2 surprises. 1 that it went off so easy, and 2 that it was making the same little hole slightly bigger every time.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Huddog
May 4, 2008, 09:04 PM
Congrats it is not my Holy Grail but it is beautiful.

kentucky_smith
May 4, 2008, 09:12 PM
This is to inform you all that you cannot refer to a firearm as the Holy Grail. I have already trademarked that name.

Holy Handgun of Antioch?

LightningMan
May 4, 2008, 09:19 PM
DarkSoldier, I agree a .44 opentop would be one of my holy grails too! I just can't find one I can afford yet. The closest one I came to buying was $5,000 and that was a few years ago. Wished I'd had bought it now! LM

If you enjoyed reading about "The Holy Grail" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!