Anyone been to the Waikiki gun shop and indoor range?

PDA

ShakyJ
April 28, 2008, 08:11 PM
I'm excited about an upcoming trip to Waikiki this summer with my family. I saw that they have an indoor range a couple of blocks from my hotel. The Waikiki indoor range looks like it has some pretty cool class III stuff for rent (M16/AK/MP5). Anyone been there or have any experience with this range? Seems like they might be a little pricey (looks like Japanese tourists are one of their target demographics). Pricey or not, where else can a guy from Arkansas get a chance to shoot an MP5? Sometimes you just have to treat yourself :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone been to the Waikiki gun shop and indoor range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
brlau
April 28, 2008, 08:29 PM
I haven't been there, mostly because we try to avoid Waikiki for the most part. However, I really doubt they have any Class III stuff there despite claiming an M-16, since they're prohibited in this state except for the military and possibly the police. For a Class III experience, we had to go to Las Vegas, since it is legal to have MG's in Nevada.

Trebor
April 28, 2008, 11:36 PM
You don't want to shoot at the Waikiki Gun Club. Trust me on that.

Their primary market is Japanese tourists who want to shoot guns while on vacation in Hawaii.

The gun club hands out flyers with Japanese on one side and English on the back. Since I'm not Japanese, I actually had to ask the guy handing flyers out for a flyer. He was giving them to all the Japanese tourists, but not the Haoles.

The prices are *outrageous.* I don't have the flyer in front of me, but it was about a dollar a shot! IIRC, they sold "packages" where you got to fire a few shots from different guns. One package was a 10 shots from a Glock, 10 shots from a .45 ACP, and 10 shots from a .44 Magnum. Things like that.

I was curious so I took a quick look in the building. The receptionist was Japanese or Japanese American and there were a line of Japanese tourists waiting to to go the range.

I didn't actually go into the range, but I understand the guns are actually wired to the bench for safety reasons. (I forget where I heard this though, so someone correct me if I'm wrong).

All in all, I'd skip it if you are a shooter. It's way overpriced and I don't think any of their stuff is actually full-auto.

lvcat2004
April 28, 2008, 11:45 PM
I was in Waikiki a couple of months ago. There was some very aggressive flyer distribution on Kalakaua Av. where that shooting range is, and I agree with everyone above that it's a Japanese tourist trap. You have to understand that ANY handguns are illegal except for LE and self defense force, therefore 99% of the population has never handled a handgun before and they are happy to shoot a 22LR or 38 special or whatever they can get their hands on, and they have no idea how much ammo costs, and will pay a premium to have some instruction in Japanese.

From what I can remember, HI has a relatively strict firearm laws, and didn't think full-auto stuff was legal, but I'm not 100%. If you want some full-auto action, come to Vegas. I would not recommend paying a premium to shoot in Waikiki.

Mauserguy
April 28, 2008, 11:47 PM
I stopped by there on my honeymoon. The main business appears to be taking pictures of Japanese tourists holding guns. Though I like the concept on introducing people to guns, it clearly is not a place to enjoy shooting, only to have your picture taken. Oh, and yes, the guns are wired to the benches.
Mauserguy

Winchester 73
April 28, 2008, 11:49 PM
Their primary market is Japanese tourists who want to shoot guns while on vacation in Hawaii.

Amazing the difference between 1941 and 2008!
The Japanese have been sterilized gunwise in just over 2 generations.
What does this mean?
I'm not smart enough to figure it out.
Good or bad,plus or minus?
What do think, kemo sabe?

blkbrd666
April 28, 2008, 11:52 PM
Are the laws for full-auto different in Nevada that other states??? What did I miss??? :eek:

Winchester 73
April 29, 2008, 12:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwVABP6ZR1E
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=22526561
http://www.truveo.com/Shooting-MP5-fullauto-1/id/3219615052
http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=8&f=22&t=241073

Last link is a list of Vegas machine gun rental outlets.

Las Vegas full auto ranges

Trebor
April 29, 2008, 12:05 AM
Many states allow private citizens to own and shoot full-auto weapons. Nevada is one of them. Since Nevada is such a tourist destination there are several ranges in the Las Vegas area with legal full-auto's that rent them to tourists. It's pricey, but it can be fun if you can't shoot full-auto any other way.

I don't believe private citizens can own full-auto weapons in Hawaii, so I very much doubt that that Waikiki Gun Club has any full-autos to rent.

gunjunky
April 29, 2008, 12:10 AM
There is a gun shop in Honolulu that has an indoor range, never had to use it as I had my own when stationed there. Being the range coordinator had it's perks. Any way I think it is called Magnum (if I remember right).
But avoid the one in Waikiki...what Trebor said.

blkbrd666
April 29, 2008, 12:17 AM
Ahh, okay. So you still have to pay the tax in Nevada too. The way it was getting mentioned, I thought it might have been a free-for-all state or something...I was already looking for Mayflower's number in the Yellow Pages!

Winchester 73
April 29, 2008, 12:21 AM
Ahh, okay. So you still have to pay the tax in Nevada too. The way it was getting mentioned, I thought it might have been a free-for-all state or something...I was already looking for Mayflower's number in the Yellow Pages!

There is no free lunch,my man.
But Nevada is pretty close!

brlau
April 29, 2008, 03:20 AM
There is a gun shop in Honolulu that has an indoor range, never had to use it as I had my own when stationed there. Being the range coordinator had it's perks. Any way I think it is called Magnum (if I remember right).
But avoid the one in Waikiki...what Trebor said.

Yep.. that's Magnum Firearms: LINK (http://www.magnum50.com/). Click on the "Shooting Range" link for rental and usage fees. Still expensive though. I got my state-mandated firearms safety class certificate there so that I could get a handgun permit. And that's just a permit to purchase, not carry which is illegal here.

ShakyJ
April 29, 2008, 05:15 PM
Thank you all for the advice about the Waikiki range. I was in the area last summer and received one of those flyers. The prices seemed pretty high and definitely geared towards the Japanese market. What made me give them a second look is they are a training site for an upcoming magpul dynamics basic carbine course in July. I'll be there later that month, so I figured I would check out their web site. I could have sworn they mentioned having full-auto weapons, but I could be wrong. From the sound of things, I would be money ahead if I just skip their establishment.

guntotinguy
April 30, 2008, 10:06 PM
There is no free lunch,my man.But Nevada is pretty close!

This is true,it depends on where you go,of course,but you can usually hear the sounds of automatic fire in the ranges much of the time,but it depends on what is rented AND expect to 'pay a little' in most cases.Just fired a friends Uzi (full auto) and had a great time for about $30.00 (not including ammo).

J Star
May 1, 2008, 11:53 AM
Heh, I got one of those flyers on my honeymoon last year. I took one look at the prices and accidentally laughed out loud at the guy handing them out. I think the "M16" "AK-47" and "MP5" they have are semi-auto copies.

By the by, right next to our hotel was a gas station renting exotic cars starting at $500 a day and going up up up from there. Waikiki is an awesome place to visit, but there are so many tourist traps. (Also, see the overpriced tattoo shop that is run by the guys from some TV show...)

Redd Flynt
May 1, 2008, 01:02 PM
Boy what a shocker back in '63 when I moved from Nevada to Hawaii. Gun laws, what are gun laws :confused: It was less than two weeks when I got my first free ride to HPD. After several hours of playing "Stupid Haole from mainland", the cops let me go sans gun. After considerable negotiation I got my shotgun back.

As for ranges on Oahu, the Koko Head range was an OK place to shoot. Don't know if it still operates.

MASTEROFMALICE
May 1, 2008, 01:13 PM
I was stationed in Hawaii. Waikiki is a great place if you constantly want prostitutes pestering you for "a date."

I finally developed my own patented answer which my friends thought was funny.

Her: "Hey, hunny, you want a date?"

Me: "Sure. But it's gonna cost ya fifty bucks."

lite-box
May 4, 2008, 12:02 PM
Tourist trap ...

The info commercials for the range in the hotel are hilarious. Range dork all dress to the nines like Rob Leatham Japanese girl jabbering at 1000rpm pistol with muzzle chained to both sides of shooting booth to keep it pointing down range... gunshot holes in overpriced T-shirt.... priceless..
They have the same thing in Guam ....

S&Wfan
May 4, 2008, 01:39 PM
A few years ago a friend of mine, and his Japanese wife, were visited for a couple of months by her 15 year-old nephew from Japan. He spoke no English.

A couple of weeks before he went back, my friend offered to pay me if I'd take him shooting, since my friend knew I was into guns. I told him I'd be glad to let the young fella shoot for free.

I had a blast watching his eyes as he looked like a kid on Christmas morning. I kept a tight reign on him, safety-wise, and tried to let him know, with each larger gun that it would kick more.

He started with a .22 LR rifle . . . then a .22 pistol w/ a Holosight . . . then a K-frame hand-loaded down with "powderpuff" 148 gn. wadcutters.

His eyes got a little bigger when I loaded full-house .357 rounds. Bigger still with a 30.06 scoped rifle.

He didn't shoot the .44 magnum much, with its 300 grain hunting loads.

Finally, the light little Ithaca 12 gauge slug gun with the short 20" barrel . . . a gun that "kills" at both ends on the bench. I'll swear I tried to make sure he had that stock FIRMLY on his shoulder.

BOOOOOOM! One round of 12 gauge slug and he handed it back. That six pound slug gun will just about separate your shoulder leaning forward into it on the bench!

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/363/363373/folders/282194/2298683M37.jpg

He surely had a great experience and lord knows what kind of stories evolved as the retold his experience to his friends back in Japan.

I was very glad to expose him to the "forbidden fruit," and said a silent prayer of gratitude that we live in a country of freedom to own and enjoy our guns!

mgregg85
May 4, 2008, 03:00 PM
For under $100, customers can shoot a total of 52 rounds from five different guns. A more expensive package provides shooters with seven different guns including a .44-caliber Magnum. The club's high-power rifles include the M-16 and Ak-47, which have been fitted with sniper scopes to allow ease of operation and safety. The range is equipped with a "Super Trap" designed to stop bullets and prevent ricochets.

Wow, 52 rounds for under $100, what a deal!

And the m16 and AK have 'sniper scopes' which must be really handy on the 15 yard range.

fireflyfather
May 4, 2008, 03:22 PM
The Japanese have been sterilized gunwise in just over 2 generations.

Not entirely. My wife's uncle proudly displays the stuffed heads of several local critters in his place. His family likes to eat fresh, raw deer meat, served sashimi style. Not the kind of thing you can buy in stores. He used to hunt with a buddy from the American embassy, and when he rotated back to the states, he left the rifle with him. So, that family has at least two longarms. Farmers can and do own rifles and shotguns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone been to the Waikiki gun shop and indoor range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!