.32 and .24 gauge shotguns

PDA

Dithsoer
April 28, 2008, 10:33 PM
I've noticed that some places have started carrying 32 and 24 gauge shotshells. Does anyone even sell shotguns in this gauge in the U.S. anymore, either imported from Europe or made in the U.S.? I realize that these gauges are somewhat popular in Europe but I've never seen one offered here. I've read that American Arms imported some a few years ago but I can't find anything on the web about this.

If you enjoyed reading about ".32 and .24 gauge shotguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PotatoJudge
April 28, 2008, 10:36 PM
Are you sure the shells aren't buckshot, and .32 and .24 are the calibers of the shot loaded into a 12 ga hull? Sounds like 0 and #4 buckshot to me.

PTK
April 28, 2008, 10:38 PM
I've seen 32 and 24 gauge shotshells on sale here and there, they're mostly for people who already own these shotguns. Some old double barrel shotguns that use these sizes have been brought back into service for SASS stuff, and for lighter recoil hunting. People are also rediscovering the 16ga, thank God.

PotatoJudge
April 28, 2008, 10:43 PM
I stand corrected. Odd coincidence that they both came out to standard buckshot diameters.

Dithsoer
April 28, 2008, 11:02 PM
I found that Beretta makes a single-shot folding shotgun in both gauges but can't find anyone who sells them. Anyone know where I can get one?

McCall911
April 29, 2008, 12:20 AM
Some years back, I found a neat old single-shot that I thought was a 20 gauge. (I think it was a H&R IIRC.) Picked it up and saw that it was a 24 gauge! Thinking that I wouldn't be able to find shells for it, I passed.

Dave McCracken
April 29, 2008, 10:25 AM
Ballistic Products carries 24 and 32 gauge ammo and some components. Gamebore, on rare occasion, imports some rounds in 7 shot,etc.

Beretta makes 24 gauge o/us but markets them only in Europe. The 32 has been pretty much eclipsed by the 410.

Dithsoer
April 29, 2008, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I've done some more checking and spoke to Beretta. That singe-shot shotgun I mentioned earlier was discontinued in the '70's. Looks like I'm not going to get one in either bore. I know that I could probably get a chamber insert or barrel liner for an existing gauge but then I'd just have a 20 ga. or 28 ga. that shoots a smaller shell. I'd really like an original chambering. I suppose that an H&R or New England single-shot in .410 could be re-bored to 32 ga. or a 28 ga. re-bored to a 24 ga. For now, that looks like my only option, unless someone can think of something else.
I know someone is going to ask, why not just get a .410 or a 28 gauge and call it good? I can't say for sure, other than I just like the idea of having something a little different. I'd love a 14 ga., and although there is new ammunition manufactured for it and even a few (expensive) Eurpean guns chambered for this obsolete cartridge, this one seems even more impossible to get than the other two.

dagger dog
April 29, 2008, 04:17 PM
There were quite a few 32 and 24 ga. shotguns brought into the states after the fall of Germany in WWII, the GI's were allowed to send back a foot locker with just about any thing they wanted in it, and inspection wasn't very good. The guns the Nazi's confiscated from the German citizens, mostly hunting arms weren't destroyed but stockpiled in some cases and the occupation forces of the U.S. ran on to some of these stockpiles, and these guns were shipped back to the U.S.. A large number of fine crafted drillings, some chambered for the diminutive 32's and 24's even heard of 9mm shotshell, the rifle barrel being chambered for .22 rimfire or possibley Hornet. Some of these guns can be of great value, if in good condition.

oneounceload
April 29, 2008, 05:11 PM
Fausti says they offer models that way - this one is nice:

http://www.faustistefanoarms.com/cat_scheda.asp?id=60

Dithsoer
April 29, 2008, 05:19 PM
How much does a cheaper Fausti cost? By the looks of their guns I could probably choose between one of their doubles or a Mercedes.

oneounceload
April 29, 2008, 07:05 PM
here's a couple:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=98555802

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=98620792

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=98243211

now, some of the others on their site are probably a tad more than these..

If you enjoyed reading about ".32 and .24 gauge shotguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!