How tight is your Lee CTP?

PDA

72V
April 28, 2008, 10:41 PM
This isn't a "Lee is Junk" thread. I really like my Lee Classic turret press, except for one thing... the ram has a bit more lateral slop than I expected. How much slop does yours have? I can move my ram about 0.012" to 0.015" laterally when it is fully raised and lowered respectively.

The reason I ask, is that I'm trying to figure out if I have a defective one, or if it's par for the course with these.

If you enjoyed reading about "How tight is your Lee CTP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Claude Clay
April 28, 2008, 11:33 PM
mine--about 1000 rounds old, has a taste of movement as you describe. also each of the 3 turrets have some vertical play. zero trouble with LOA or crimp. just some stubbbern insertion into the decapper--so i guide the case with my thumb, no lost time, no big deal.
a washer to fine tune the primer feeding up top and some duct tape & a popsicle stick to 'help' the primer rotate smoothly into the ram at the base.
good value for the money.

stubbicatt
April 29, 2008, 08:12 AM
Mine has several thousand rounds on it, and it is tip top. Don't notice any slop at all.

cracked butt
April 29, 2008, 08:44 AM
No slop in mine either.

ranger335v
April 29, 2008, 08:48 AM
A tapered round case WILL enter a tapered round hole in a die perfectly centered UNLESS it is inhibiited from doing so. A rigidly held but off-center die, or ram, will surely force cases to bend unless they are allowed to float enough to enter straight. Therefore, a little bit of ram loosness in any press is a GOOD THING! That's especially true for turret presses since there is no way in this world that the turret will precisely align each hole with the ram each time it is rotated.

The verticle spring in your press due to that turning turret is more of a hinderance to precision loading than a loose ram can ever be. And ALL turrets MUST have a bit of slop or they couldn't turn.

Just facts of life.

strat81
April 29, 2008, 10:46 AM
The ram itself on mine doesn't have any discernible play. The linkage, yes, and the turret, yes. But not the ram.

The Bushmaster
April 29, 2008, 03:09 PM
I've been using the same Lee Turret with aluminum base for around 20 years. I notice no increase in ram to base wear. The vertical clearance of the turret and the turret support varies from turret to turret. I have one that has a clearance of .006" and I have one with a clearance of .017". Guess which one makes the most accurate ammunition...

SSN Vet
April 29, 2008, 03:30 PM
can't get mine to wobble at all....it's nice and tight

bluetopper
April 29, 2008, 05:30 PM
Don't worry about it, just keep spittin out the ammo.;)

sig228
April 30, 2008, 01:21 AM
a washer to fine tune the primer feeding up top and some duct tape & a popsicle stick to 'help' the primer smoothly into the ram at the base

Claude, I can relate to what your saying on the base (I just use my thumb as a "guide") but can you give me a little more info about fine tuning the primer feed up top? Mine doesn't always give that nice solid "click"

Thanks.

Claude Clay
April 30, 2008, 01:47 PM
raising the assembly higher by putting a washer (.067") between the press and the plastic primer assembly made the angle of the swing arm mate to the primer cup on the ram perfect. now with my thumb at about 2 o'clock, i push the swinger up & away from me and it loads the primer properly--and so smoothly i have to eyeball the cup to make sure it actually put a primer in the cup--its 98+% reliable.
hope this helps you.

GSPKurt
April 30, 2008, 02:23 PM
No play here, about 10k through it.

BigJakeJ1s
April 30, 2008, 11:57 PM
A tapered round case WILL enter a tapered round hole in a die perfectly centered UNLESS it is inhibiited from doing so. A rigidly held but off-center die, or ram, will surely force cases to bend unless they are allowed to float enough to enter straight. Therefore, a little bit of ram loosness in any press is a GOOD THING! That's especially true for turret presses since there is no way in this world that the turret will precisely align each hole with the ram each time it is rotated.

The problem with a loose ram is that it is not just free to align itself and/or the case with the die. There are some serious lateral forces on it during use, and with most conventional presses (except co-ax), those forces are in opposite directions at start and end of ram travel. The only types of "float" that do help alignment are in the case to the shell holder, the shell holder to the ram, and on some presses, the die to the press (i.e. co-ax press). In these places, only friction opposes alignment of case with die (or die with case).

A loose turret plate, if only loose in the lateral direction (i.e. not inducing tilt) is actually better for case/die alignment that a loose ram (similar to the co-ax floating die holder). If machined to equivalent tolerances, a ring-supported turret like the CTP should outperform a turret that pivots on a central pin/axle, since a ring-supported turret does not induce tilt, whereas a pin-pivoting turret does. But that's a pretty big "if".

Andy

If you enjoyed reading about "How tight is your Lee CTP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!