U.S. Soldier held in Mexico on Weapons charge

PDA

SSN Vet
April 29, 2008, 09:13 AM
American Veteran of Iraq War Being Held in Mexican Prison on Weapons Charges

An American veteran of the Iraq War is being held in a notoriously dangerous prison in Juarez, Mexico, charged with carrying weapons over the border in his car.

Army Spc. Richard Raymond Medina Torres, on leave from his base at Fort Hood, Tex., was arrested in Juarez April 21 when he said he mistakenly crossed the border and found himself on the Mexican side of the Bridge of the Americas.

Medina Torres, 25, told Mexican officials that he intended to park his car in El Paso and walk across the border for breakfast, but got lost on the highway and was forced to cross into Mexico.

According to the El Paso Times, Mexican border police stopped him as he attempted a U-turn, and Medina Torres was arrested when they found an AR-15 rifle and handgun in his trunk. The newspaper said that Medina Torres said he'd bought the guns years before and had all the proper permits. However possession of firearms in Mexico is illegal and strictly controlled.

"It’s a very sticky situation for foreigners to have weapons in Mexico," said a spokesman at the bureau of consular affairs at the State Department. "The laws are stricter and narrower there," he said.

Medina Torres, a helicopter mechanic, said he was on his way to Fresno, Calif., to visit his mother in time for her birthday Thursday. His mother told FOXNews.com that while on route, he wanted to make a pit stop for a Mexican breakfast, but instead got lost. That is when he was arrested, she said.

"It was his very first time," said Gloria Medina. "All he wanted was a good Mexican meal."

He never got his meal, and is now waiting in the infamous Cereso prison, a jail for some of Mexico's most violent drug smugglers, for a Mexican judge to decide his fate.

His mother said, “He told me ‘Mother, all I do is pray and sleep, pray and sleep.’”

Medina Torres was with charged with carrying weapons over the border in his car and an additional and much more serious charge of possession of a military-style weapon, which has since been dropped. If sentenced, Medina Torres could face from 3 to 10 years in prison, according to the El Paso Times.

But his mother said she is hopeful about prospect for his release. "I'm hopeful, I'm optimistic today because the consul [in Juarez] told me that they're optimistic, very positive" about his case.

The American consul in Juarez “has taken a special interest in my son’s case," she told FOXNews.com. "He told me, ‘He’s a fine young man and he’s a good son and a good soldier.'

“I asked him to take of my son (the consulate general) and he said that he would.”

According to the State Department spokesman, the U.S. military normally advocates for American soldiers who have been incarcerated abroad.

"In most cases overseas the military handles their own cases," the spokesman said. "In this case because he was probably on vacation, and by virtue of the fact that he’s incarcerated in Mexico, the consul is working the case."

Medina Torres enlisted in the Army in 2001. He had recently returned from a 15-month tour in Iraq, his mother told FOXNews.com. He also served in Korea, and while in Fresno had planned to request a transfer to Honduras.

“I’m optimistic, praying that the Lord will deliver him from this ordeal,” said Gloria Medina.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352986,00.html

If you enjoyed reading about "U.S. Soldier held in Mexico on Weapons charge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MASTEROFMALICE
April 29, 2008, 09:21 AM
Perhaps the Mexicans should kick around the idea of putting up a physical barricade between borders.

I'm sure it would make them feel a lot better.

RLsnow
April 29, 2008, 09:23 AM
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/5567/iseewhat3ag0dx.jpg

Phil DeGraves
April 29, 2008, 09:25 AM
"If sentenced, Medina Torres could face from 3 to 10 years in prison, "

Unlike here in NH where they sentenced a bank robber yesterday to 2 years. Hmm. Bank robbery or legal possession of firearms.

Onmilo
April 29, 2008, 09:52 AM
Let me get this straight,,,,,
He was on his way to FRESNO, CALIFORNIA and got lost and crossed into Mexico carrying an AR15, a weapon listed as a big no-no in God's chosen country of California, and a HANDGUN that may, or may not be, on the California banned list.
The AR15 is a definate big boo-boo to be hauling into California.

Heck if the Federales didn't get him CHIPS would have,,,,,,,,,,

Sans Authoritas
April 29, 2008, 10:05 AM
Heck if the Federales didn't get him CHIPS would have

One difference. He could have bribed the Federales to do the right thing.

-Sans Authoritas

Majic
April 29, 2008, 11:56 AM
Was mistakenly in Mexico because he got lost on the highway and was forced to cross the border? He attempted to turn around in Mexico and got caught so I guess we are suppose to assume there was no place to turn around on the US side of the border. :scrutiny:

RoadkingLarry
April 29, 2008, 11:57 AM
Owning an AR-15 in california is not nessecarily illegal. Don't know all the details but there are restrictions but not an outright ban.

Ash
April 29, 2008, 12:00 PM
Well, I do know folks who could not turn around and had to cross the Lake Ponchartrain causeway (okay, the first 10 miles of it until they reached a turn-around). I've been forced to take the wrong exit before, and drive 6 miles down interstate to get to an exit to turn around. I won't comment on whether this guy is legit, but I do have a hard time distinguishing comments found here and those expected on VPC's website.

Ash

Majic
April 29, 2008, 12:06 PM
Well, I do know folks who could not turn around and had to cross the Lake Ponchartrain causeway
But the OP was talking about an international border.

Bubbles
April 29, 2008, 12:22 PM
Was mistakenly in Mexico because he got lost on the highway and was forced to cross the border? He attempted to turn around in Mexico and got caught so I guess we are suppose to assume there was no place to turn around on the US side of the border.

From what I've heard from the folks who have lived in that area, the traffic and traffic patterns can force you across the border should you end up in the wrong lane of the highway - and no, there is nowhere to turn around. Heck, I've had it happen to me in NoVA during rushhour.

Knowing what I do now, I'd probably hit the brakes and just refuse to move the car in this guy's situation.

csmkersh
April 29, 2008, 12:31 PM
Those who've been stationed at FT Bliss can tell you all the bridges are clearly marked even at night. Signs warning about transporting firearms OR ammunition are prominent. If he was in route to California on a PCS, he knew darn well he had firearms in the vehicle.

SSN Vet
April 29, 2008, 12:36 PM
so much for the bean breakfast.....

it will be interesting to see how he fairs, as compared to the pastor who got popped in Russia with one box of rifle ammo in his suit case, which he was bringing to give to a hunting buddy.

3 years in the gulag!

Old Fuff
April 29, 2008, 12:38 PM
This has happened before, and the situation in El Paso, Texas is a bad one. I have faced the same problem while going through Texas and New Mexico to Arizona. If you are not careful, and take the wrong off-ramp, you can be in Mexico in minutes - with little or no warning. We need a system that will make all travelers stop on the U.S. side of the border, and confirm that they really want to proceed on into Mexico before they cross the line.

feets
April 29, 2008, 12:38 PM
You don't "mistakenly" cross the Bridge of the Americas.
It's a huge bridge with all kinds of warning signs, welcome signs, and other stuff.
There's simply no way to "oopsie!" and end up in Mexico.

There's more to the story than what's said. Either he's just that stupid or he was trying to pull some sort of stunt.
Doing a U-turn as soon as you cross the border is a BIG red flag.

http://www.aaroads.com/texas/ih110-820/i-110_s_us_062_01.jpg

GRIZ22
April 29, 2008, 01:42 PM
There's more to the story than what's said.

I agree. There's probably plenty of places to get a Mexican breakfast in El Paso as there is in Nogales, Calexico, Laredo, etc.

csmkersh
April 29, 2008, 01:51 PM
This has happened before, and the situation in El Paso, Texas is a bad one. I have faced the same problem while going through Texas and New Mexico to Arizona. If you are not careful, and take the wrong off-ramp, you can be in Mexico in minutes.Horse Feathers!

If you're using I-10, other than the 70 mile strip from Esperanza, TX through El Paso to Montoya New Mexico you're no where near the boarder. El Paso itself is the only really close point to the border from I-10. Elsewhere you're at least 5 miles from the border and once again, you're not going to cross by accident.

BruceRDucer
April 29, 2008, 01:52 PM
"Perhaps the Mexicans should kick around the idea of putting up a physical barricade between borders."--MasterOfMalice

Exactly. Why don't they do that, and keep the illegals out of the USA, and we will be more than happy to stay here.:scrutiny:

Ash
April 29, 2008, 02:00 PM
Majic, I am well aware of the boarder. Not like I'm an idiot or anything. And, I also said that I would not comment on the guy specifically. I can say, though, that the very long bridge with very good signs has a certain point of no return that once you go past it, you are stuck. And by the way, this point is not on the bridge itself.

But, hey, I say he needs to be shot and dumped into the sewers for this desecration of international borders. He must be guilty of the greatest of crimes. He must be, of course, because nobody ever makes a mistake.

Ash

Flame Red
April 29, 2008, 03:57 PM
I feel bad for the guy. I have been distracted while driving and missed signs and gotten lost lots of times. Even on routes I know let alone strange areas. He could have made an innocent mistake - or maybe not.

At least for once the State Department seems willing to help. With all the crapola happening on the border one has to ask which side the current US Administration really represents sometimes.

What does that HC with a circle around it on the sign on the above picture mean?

MarcusWendt
April 29, 2008, 04:13 PM
This kid screwed the pooch no matter how you slice it. My only issue is, do unto others. Let him sneak back across the border for the love of full auto weapons!

I'd love it if we treated them as bad as they treat us.

gym
April 29, 2008, 04:18 PM
So the illegals don't have to take the senic route? They can just bus them over on the highway, no wonder the fence doesn't work, duh

308win
April 29, 2008, 04:25 PM
I believe it denotes the route if you are hauling hazardous cargo.

W.E.G.
April 29, 2008, 04:32 PM
I vote for "just stupid."

yhtomit
April 29, 2008, 04:53 PM
"Was mistakenly in Mexico because he got lost on the highway and was forced to cross the border? He attempted to turn around in Mexico and got caught so I guess we are suppose to assume there was no place to turn around on the US side of the border."

OK, I see feets' picture above, so this may be a moot point. But I will say, I faced a (gun-free) similar situation in Laredo / Nuevo Laredo several years ago (10? 12?) -- I did NOT WANT to cross into Mexico by car, just wanted to walk across. Among other reasons, my passenger was a grad student from Korea, who had some (prescription) medicine with him but not the prescriptions, and though he had his passport, I was uncertain about whether he could cross the border legally or not.

Long story short, got trapped in a line of cars in the course of looking for a turnaround spot, and ... there was none, until it was clear that this was the precise line I did NOT want to be in. Quickly got lost, in Mexico, but it didn't take too long to finally get back.

When I lived in El Paso, I crossed the border only by foot, and am glad.

And even with the photo above, I know I have the ability to miss signs, and have demonstrated this superpower more than once. When there are guns in the car, no doubt I'm more careful, but ... ever been on a highway surrounded by tall 18-wheelers, such that you don't see the signs you wish you had?

timothy

Zoogster
April 29, 2008, 05:04 PM
He attempted to turn around in Mexico and got caught so I guess we are suppose to assume there was no place to turn around on the US side of the border.

From what I've heard from the folks who have lived in that area, the traffic and traffic patterns can force you across the border should you end up in the wrong lane of the highway - and no, there is nowhere to turn around. Heck, I've had it happen to me in NoVA during rushhour.

This is correct in several border crossings. Somone in a far left lane who finds themselves in sudden stop and go traffic just before the border will be unable to get over on a 5 lane highway before crossing, and attempting to do so raises the red flags of everyone around.

I have had the same thing happen to someone else driving who I was with because they simply stayed on the freeway. The freeway leads to the border crossing, and there was no way to turn around without crossing if you got too close. I was taking a nap during a long drive and awoke while we were about to go through the crossing. We crossed over and then back, and were asked if we had any of certain items while dogs sniffed the vehicle before continuing on our way.It would be like trying to turn around to avoid a toll booth on a freeway. How are you going to do it when the exits are behind you, or on the other side of the toll booth? While everyone in the lanes to your right are stopped and moving forward slowly as those in front cross the border one at a time? People attempting to turn around will be extra suspicious and often searched. How do you turn around on the freeway if you cannot exit?
Just imagine if you had a CCW and someone made that mistake.

I have also had it happen to me on a military base.
I have been on a highway going through a military base for miles, and if you take any exit within those several miles to change direction you end up at a military checkpoint that does not let you turn around without going through the checkpoint. Guess what, smuggling small arms onto a military base is a big "no-no" as well.

The AR15 is a definate big boo-boo to be hauling into California.
Not necessarily. He could have had reduced capacity magazines, and a way to lock said magazines into the rifle, or a spare stock to attach without a pistol grip as long as it was an off list reciever type and not banned by name, was over 30 inches total without evil features like a flash supressor or threaded barrel etc.

NavyLCDR
April 29, 2008, 05:55 PM
And when this guy does get out (if ever) he will be AWOL from the Army and face disciplinary action from the US Military....

And I just looked, it is like 300 miles to the Mexican border from Ft Hood! 300 miles for a burrito breakfast!?! :scrutiny: Come on, now, tell me another one.... Maybe someone had just sold him the Bridge of the Americas and he wanted to check out his new property....

feets
April 29, 2008, 06:48 PM
The route from Ft Hood to SoCal takes you through El Paso.

When you take the exit shown above, there are other large signs stating what you can and can't cross the border with. There are also border security folks on our side of the line. Pull over, get out, and visit with one of them. Explain the situation and you'll be fine.

Anybody who's spent any time at all in Texas knows that you don't have to go to Mexico to get a Mexican breakfast. You can get Mexican food (including breakfast) at every other street corner.

That guy got stupid and deserves the punishment.

I bet he learns from his mistake (the idea behind punishment) and doesn't do it again.

Look at a Google map of hwy 110 and US 62 in El Paso. Check the border crossing and you cna see a place to turn around in the satellite photo.

Ash
April 29, 2008, 09:07 PM
Like a pig to piranhas, we do so well going after folks around here. We divide and conquer ourselves quite nicely.

Ash

Sans Authoritas
April 29, 2008, 09:09 PM
Aye. The only thing he did wrong was got snared in a spider's web of bureacracy.

-Sans Authoritas

Travis McGee
April 29, 2008, 09:17 PM
I have driven and or walked across the border at San Diego and Laredo. Yes, if you're not careful and you make rosy assumptions, you can get "swept" across the border accidentally.

What do I mean by this? What about all of those scary signs?

What I mean is that the US soldier's normal assumption, from crossing onto a dozen military bases with fairly similar "border controls," (guard shacks, fences, guns), is that you will assume there is always a last chance U-turn right before you get to the point of no return.

Or if that fails, you can stop at the guard shack, say, "I forgot my ID" or "I thought the rule about rental cars was such and such" and they will let you pull a "mulligan" U-turn. No harm, no foul, just make a U-turn through that little opening there, have a nice day.

NOT SO IN MEXICO. If you assume you can have a "gimme" or "mulligan" U-turn at the end, FORGET IT.

So: word to the wise: if you are anywhere near Mexico with guns or ammo, TAKE THAT EXIT a mile back, before you get ANYWHERE NEAR the actual border frontier. Once you are about 1/4 mile from the actual border line, IT'S TOO LATE.

Travis McGee
April 29, 2008, 09:20 PM
Zoogster is exactly correct.

BTW, I'm the guy who tossed 3 guns off of a sailboat before entering Mexican waters, when I had to make an unplanned fuel stop. Do I regret it? Hell no.

Thernlund
April 29, 2008, 09:22 PM
Isn't this a duplicate thread?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=358392

-T.

Chris B
April 29, 2008, 09:36 PM
I feel for the guy.

Just last week I was in Nogales/Sonora and was stopped while walking and forced to empty my pockets by five crooked Mexican cops. I had locked my gun in the car on the US side and saw all of the signs about no firearms and ammunition; what I didn't see were signs that indicated that knives were illegal. I had a small folder clipped to my right pocket. They wanted to take me to jail where I would have to pay a "fine" for having the knife, which they said was just as bad as having a gun. They also gave me the option of paying the fine right there and going back across the border. They wanted $200 and I worked them down to $100 and got the hell out of Mexico!

jhansman
April 29, 2008, 11:33 PM
Just plain dumb, from any angle. If he gets back to tell about it, he can go out on the "10 Things You Never Want To Do" lecture tour, with his screwup right at the top. He has my sympathies (to a point); nothin' the Mexican govt. loves more than teaching gringos about their version of the law (with the possible exception of a good bribe).

romma
April 29, 2008, 11:36 PM
Screwed!

Nightwing
April 29, 2008, 11:53 PM
Tell them we'll trade them 100 of their citizens who are here illegally back for him, and we'll call it a wash.

scrat
April 29, 2008, 11:59 PM
all i want to know is how far was he from the border. Because if it were me and i was close enought to the border i would have hauled some mighty tail and crossed that border quickly. Rather face a speeding ticket here than a prison term there.

Winchester 73
April 29, 2008, 11:59 PM
Isn't this a duplicate thread?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=358392

Yes,but I can handle it!:D

yhtomit
April 30, 2008, 02:40 AM
That guy got stupid and deserves the punishment.

Really? You have more respect than I do then for the anti-self-defense, anti-liberty gun laws of Mexico. He might be legally liable for the offense with which he's charged, but that doesn't mean he "deserves" it.

My opinion, at least.

timothy

Prince Yamato
April 30, 2008, 02:49 AM
Knowing what I do now, I'd probably hit the brakes and just refuse to move the car in this guy's situation.

That's what I would have done. I would have parked my car in the middle of the freeway in the US and said for someone to "call the police". I'd rather be towed for a traffic obstruction than rot in a Mexican prison on a weapons charge. Yes, Mexican gun laws suck, but you know what? It's Mexico, not the USA. So if you don't like their laws, don't go there.

lvcat2004
April 30, 2008, 02:56 AM
I have little sympathy for this less than intelligent soldeir. He had make several, consecutive mistakes to end up where he's at. You almost had to try to do it.

Thernlund
April 30, 2008, 03:40 PM
Really? You have more respect than I do then for the anti-self-defense, anti-liberty gun laws of Mexico.

We complain up and down about Mexican nationals coming here and breaking our laws. It pisses me right off that any American would actually suggest that an American national should be allowed to get away with breaking another countries laws. In this case, Mexico's.

Those are their laws. I go to Mexico all the time and I don't walk around like I own the place. I act like the guest that I am. While in their country, one should obey their laws. If you don't agree with them then don't go to Mexico, accidentally or otherwise.

-T.

riverdog
April 30, 2008, 04:52 PM
It's Mexico, not the USA. So if you don't like their laws, don't go there.I live in San Diego and I avoid the border area entirely. Cross teh border? No f'n way.

I've seen the traffic pattern in El Paso and it would be very easy to get funneled and miss the signs.

"All he wanted was a good Mexican meal."
I give him a F in headwork, you can get great Mexican food in San Diego, no need to cross the border.

csmkersh
April 30, 2008, 05:32 PM
I give him a F in headwork, you can get great Mexican food in San Diego, no need to cross the border.You can get great Mexican food just outside the Rancier East gate at Hood. Far better than any I've ever gotten in El Paso.

Even before I started using a GPS, never got lost in I-10 headed West to Huachuca or East back to San Antonio.

The Tourist
April 30, 2008, 05:43 PM
I suggest a prisoner swap.

We get him back, and we will return ten million of their countrymen.

(While I said that in jest, my underliying feelings are true. Considering the strict laws that they demand we follow, we seem to cave in much too quickly on the breach of our borders, the conduct and cost of their citizens and the lousy deal we get on Pemex products. And why? It is simply that the USA likes to appear as the "good guys." Let's get some sophisticated gunships and some SEALs who want pay-back and go get our boy. I know how scared I'd be in a Mexican prison with the real possiblity that my government is more interested in "tap dancing" before an election than the safety and security of its citizens.

Millions of their citizens broke the laws of the USA just sneaking into the country. They're all felons by my definition.)

Thernlund
April 30, 2008, 06:29 PM
Let's get some sophisticated gunships and some SEALs who want pay-back and go get our boy.

This guy broke their laws. He needs to sort it out with them himself.

That said, I do agree that we're soft on illegal immigration. I think a nice 100 yard wide mine field (with ample warning signs) would solve the problem in less than 10 days. It would be both tough and passive. Hell, even give 'em a 30 foot wide "safe strip" on our side before the mines. Give 'em a chance to sit, read the warnings, and think about it a bit first.

-T.

Sgtanderson
April 30, 2008, 08:05 PM
Yes-he a least made one hell of a stupid mistake-but we can't leave him behind in Mexico anymore than we would in Iraq. I wouldnt trust those bastards down there to treat him humanely,it might be as bad as being a POW! We should send them a deadline to release our brother or they get a visit in the dead of night by some SF types wearing black hoods and no insigina:fire:

Travis McGee
April 30, 2008, 08:20 PM
All of you pontificators who are ready to hang this guy out to dry need to keep this in mind. You can "break their law" while still over 1/2 mile back in the good old USA. It's very easy to get the wrong idea, assume there will be a turnout exit, and get "swept" into Mexico as many posters above have described.

So go ahead and dump on this guy, all you perfect humans, who NEVER made a mistake.

But word to the wise for the rest of you folks who are human: if you get within a mile of the Mexican border, you CAN be swept past "the point of no return." There will be no last chance U-turn. There will be no understanding or mercy shown, once you are one centimeter into Mexico.

And if you don't make that last exit, a mile from the border, you WILL end up in Mexico. (Unless as someone indicated, you park your car and call 911 as the better option.)

Let this be a lesson none of us repeat.

And this is EXACTLY why I tossed three perfectly good firearms overboard, when I was forced to make an unplanned fuel stop in Mexico on a San Diego to Panama sailboat voyage. And why I'd do it again.

ColinthePilot
April 30, 2008, 08:30 PM
I was discussing this case with a friend last night. We realized this guy isn't the most accurate gun in the safe. According to Fox News, he is currently a Specialist (E-4) in the Army, but he enlisted in 2001. A seven year E-4 is somewhat uncommon. He should have promoted much faster.
Second, he was going across the border to get breakfast? sounds fishy to me. Right here in San Antonio, ~150 mi from Mexico, I can get fresh breakfast tacos, made by real mexicans that morning within walking distance of just about anywhere in town. In El Paso, being that close to the border, I don't think a trip into Mexico is required to get good Mexican food.
Third, he's trying to take 2 [unregistered] firearms, including one EBR, into ************. Just more evidence he's not too bright.

csmkersh
April 30, 2008, 08:56 PM
Yes-he a least made one hell of a stupid mistake-but we can't leave him behind in Mexico anymore than we would in Iraq.

Sure we can leave him there. We weren't on a fire mission and he didn't get cut off from the platoon. He just got a "NO GO" in land nav and paid the price.

csmkersh
April 30, 2008, 09:02 PM
But word to the wise for the rest of you folks who are human: if you get within a mile of the Mexican border, you CAN be swept past "the point of no return." There will be no last chance U-turn.
Go back and read both the news reports. The Federales had him turned around and headed to the US. He stopped and attempted to park a second time in Mexico then stinky stuff started to roll down hill. Once was an error; twice was plain F-ing stupidity.

mek42
April 30, 2008, 10:21 PM
Is the US-Mexico border unregulated? Driving into Canada there are always border crossings where you need to stop before actually entering Canada.

I would like to think that if someone did actually have a traffic mishap and explained the situation to the Customs Officer stating that they have a prohibited item in their vehicle and would like to be directed to get back to the US that at worst you'd lose a half day due to an interrogation / vehicle search. I could be wrong about this though.

At any rate, do you just drive into Mexico like crossing a state line in the US?

The Tourist
May 1, 2008, 12:34 AM
This guy broke their laws. He needs to sort it out with them himself

Let's take this down to the bottom line.

An American soldier, who clearly would fight and die for the freedoms of others, sits in a jail while Mexican felons creep into our country like cockroaches, suck up benefits, and can legally possess a drivers license while technically still being illegal. Have I got that right?

I don't care how it looks, what it costs or who loses politcal hay over it. We need to get our citizen. And if an entire platoon of Mexican soldiers dies over it, who really cares. We can strip the California highways by tabulating these same drivers licenses and repatriate new recruits for their boot camp.

I don't care what Mexico thinks. It's about time they care what I think. I vote. And frankly, I'll be voting for my fellow 'boomers to get COLAs before I vote for any programs underlining Mexican nationals.

And in the spirit of Guernica, this might be a good time to test those new weapons I see on FutureWeapons.

You are an American. Picture yourself in a Guadalajara prison.

Limeyfellow
May 1, 2008, 12:52 AM
Even if he hadn't gone to Mexico, wouldn't he have broke the law bringing an AR15 into California and isn't that a felony? Sounds like either the guy is a moron or was gun smuggling. Just because he was in the US military, doesn't mean he has a free pass to break laws in another country. If it was the other way around and they caught a foreign national sneaking an AR15 across the border, even if it was an accident they would throw the book at him with up to 5 years in prison.

hankdatank1362
May 1, 2008, 01:07 AM
We need to go get him. Do whatever it takes... diplomatically or not.. and bring him back home.

Kick his butt when he does get home for being so effing stupid, but bring him home nonetheless.

Thernlund
May 1, 2008, 01:59 AM
So go ahead and dump on this guy, all you perfect humans, who NEVER made a mistake.

Not one like that.

As I said, I go to Mexico now and then for some goof off time, and I ALWAYS spend a good 20 to 30 mintes the night before going through the truck looking for stray rounds or spent brass that may have fallen out of the range bag.

Also, if I found I was on the bridge with no turn out to turn around and I knew I had guns and/or ammunition in the vehicle, I'd stop traffic for a month if I had to before I'd cross.

-T.

FourTeeFive
May 1, 2008, 02:11 AM
There's probably plenty of places to get a Mexican breakfast in El Paso as there is in Nogales, Calexico, Laredo, etc.

Indeed:

Dos Nidos Mexican Cafe
6560 Montana Ave
El Paso, TX 79925

Thernlund
May 1, 2008, 02:14 AM
Let's take this down to the bottom line.

An American soldier, who clearly would fight and die for the freedoms of others, sits in a jail while Mexican felons creep into our country like cockroaches, suck up benefits, and can legally possess a drivers license while technically still being illegal. Have I got that right?

I don't care how it looks, what it costs or who loses politcal hay over it. We need to get our citizen. And if an entire platoon of Mexican soldiers dies over it, who really cares. We can strip the California highways by tabulating these same drivers licenses and repatriate new recruits for their boot camp.

I don't care what Mexico thinks. It's about time they care what I think. I vote. And frankly, I'll be voting for my fellow 'boomers to get COLAs before I vote for any programs underlining Mexican nationals.

And in the spirit of Guernica, this might be a good time to test those new weapons I see on FutureWeapons.

You are an American. Picture yourself in a Guadalajara prison.

:rolleyes:

-T.

Prince Yamato
May 1, 2008, 03:35 AM
I don't care what Mexico thinks. It's about time they care what I think. I vote.

They don't care what you think either and your vote means nothing to them, because you're not voting in Mexico. You know, we violate their laws too. They're probably more than generous catering to our drunken spring-breakers. Like I said before and Thernlund restated: If I have a gun in my car and I'm in danger of going into Mexico, I'm stopping cold on the freeway, and putting my flashers on. Hell, I'll even make a scene if I need to attract cops. I'll stand on top of my car and sing Stephen Foster tunes till my voice gets hoarse if I have to. The point is, I'll be in an American prison WAY before I'm in a Mexican one. Also, the border guards I've seen in Mexico are really laid back, as are most Mexicans in general. I think this guy really had to screw up to get arrested in Mexico.

OFT
May 1, 2008, 10:48 AM
It comes down to the fact that he had three choices:

1. Comply with their law.
2. Don't go across if you don't want to comply with the law.
3. Take your chances on going to the caracel.

He took option number three.

308win
May 1, 2008, 11:04 AM
Give 'em a chance to sit, read the warnings, and think about it a bit first.

As long as the signs are english only.

riverdog
May 1, 2008, 11:33 AM
csmkersh,
I must have missed the other report, never belioeve the first one.According to the El Paso Times, Mexican border police stopped him as he attempted a U-turn, and Medina Torres was arrested when they found an AR-15 rifle and handgun in his trunk. the other report has more info:Mexican authorities said Tuesday that Torres stopped at the border to ask where he could park his car and was directed to make a U-turn to go back to the U.S. When he stopped again to ask federal authorities working nearby where to park, the agents started questioning him.

Torres said that when he was asked if he had drugs or guns, he immediately told Mexican officials he was traveling with an AR-15 assault rifle and a .45-caliber handgun. Both are his personal weapons; he said he intended to leave them and his car at his mother's house before deploying to Honduras for a year.

After searching his car, Mexican authorities took Torres into custody and began questioning him, he said. He has not been charged with a crime.So they pointed him at the US and he was so intent on having breakfast in Mexico that he stopped again in Mexico. In the new Websters unabridged next to the definition of stupid will be the mug shot of a certain E-4. . . boggles the mind, total lack of SA.

FourTeeFive
May 1, 2008, 02:12 PM
So: word to the wise: if you are anywhere near Mexico with guns or ammo, TAKE THAT EXIT a mile back, before you get ANYWHERE NEAR the actual border frontier. Once you are about 1/4 mile from the actual border line, IT'S TOO LATE.

Same with Canada in most places. If you are heading north on I-5 you will eventually enter Canada. Lots of signs to tell you that, but if you don't take an exit you will be leaving the USA and entering Canada.

Driving into Canada there are always border crossings where you need to stop before actually entering Canada.

By the time you are at the place where you stop and talk to a border officer, you are already in Canada and have been for a quite a few yards (meters?).

The Tourist
May 1, 2008, 03:18 PM
They don't care what you think either and your vote means nothing to them, because you're not voting in Mexico.

They will if we flush NAFTA, tax their products as they tax ours, make sure students pay a hefty tax for visiting their tourist spots on spring break, curtailing foreign aid to a trinkle and make sure not one drop of tequila comes north. Ship illegal aliens back by the trainload.

In other words, treat Mexico like Cuba.

I'm getting tired of being jerked around by foreign nationals who do not have my best interests at heart and imprison our citizens.

SEALs. Guernica. Get our citizen.

Edit: However, for turn-about, in the spirit of being fair to you (disclaimer, the editorial "you") and your beliefs, I'll be more than happy to let you rot in a Mexican prison should the need arise.

Justin
May 1, 2008, 03:42 PM
Plainly this thread is generating much more heat than light.

If you enjoyed reading about "U.S. Soldier held in Mexico on Weapons charge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!