Huffpo goes Ban Crazy

PDA

mike101
April 29, 2008, 10:15 AM
Over the last couple of weeks, Huffington Post has banned nearly all of the Pro-2A posters, despite our adherence to their rules, from commenting on Paul Helmke's Brady Blog. Some were able to get back on by simply changing their email and username, but now I think they are checking IPs. It seems that Kelli, who is a personal friend of Helmke's, whined to him enough, and he gave Huffpo a call.

I hope some of you will help combat these cheesey tactics, and sign on over at Huffpo to take up some of the slack. It requires a strong stomach, though.

Some of you may think it doesn't do any good, but I assure you, it does. Otherwise, the Brady Blog would not have been closed to comments back in September, and nobody would be getting banned from Huffpo. Also, poll results all over the country seem to be going our way. Since the BC is the largest anti-gun organization in the country, I think they must attract a lot of readers who do not post, just like THR. I am thinking that what people see on the BC blog, and the fact that they keep having their heads handed to them on a daily basis, has a little something to do with that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/users/signup/?entry_id=

As always, please cut & paste link into your browser.

Thanks.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Huffpo goes Ban Crazy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tommygunn
April 29, 2008, 10:28 AM
What was it Jack Nicholson's character said in A Few Good Men that became famous???

mike101
April 29, 2008, 10:29 AM
"You can't handle the truth"?

Majic
April 29, 2008, 10:32 AM
If their policies upset you then why do you patronize the site and then want me to join?

MakAttak
April 29, 2008, 10:36 AM
If their policies upset you then why do you patronize the site?

>.<

<head in hands>

strat81
April 29, 2008, 10:36 AM
Since the BC is the largest anti-gun organization in the country, I think they must attract a lot of readers who do not post, just like THR.
IMO, most people spend time doing things they like, not things they don't and associate as such. For example, I am against expansion of the welfare state, but I don't read blogs about it. Do pro-lifers read pro-life blogs?

I read THR more for the technical info than for the politics.

mike101
April 29, 2008, 10:44 AM
"If their policies upset you then why do you patronize the site?"

Who said I'm upset? I pretty much expected it.

I thought our intentions were obvious. The reason we bother with them is to win the fence-sitters over to our side. And it works.

Why else would we do it?

roscoe
April 29, 2008, 10:52 AM
keep at it - you are doing the right thing

serrano
April 29, 2008, 10:56 AM
Proxy servers.

The Tourist
April 29, 2008, 11:06 AM
One of the things I have learned on the boards is that things evolve. It's either you or the forum.

A friend of mine opined that if you find a forum you like, enjoy the heck out of it. In eighteen months, you'll be sick of it, or it will be sick of you. If not, your longevity there is probably because you held your tongue on important issues and just wussed to the rank of lurker.

Life in general is a risk. If any of you have ever seen the opening to "Then Came Bronson," you'll realize that I never want to be the guy in the station wagon watching life pass me by.

I cannot tell you the number of forums from which I've been banned. I was banned from a motorcycle forum for Pete's sake. I once tangled with a MA 'sensei' who ran his own board. For good reason. Questions were raised on his credentials.

There are tens of thousands of forums. However, there is only one of "you." Be true to that idea.

Bezoar
April 29, 2008, 11:18 AM
some forums have the idea that only their views should be expressed by the participants of their forums as gospel.
Hence, if a forum believes that "4 legs good" they will try to expunge any who feel, "4 legs good when served with sweet and sour sauce"

Matt304
April 29, 2008, 11:30 AM

The Tourist
April 29, 2008, 11:45 AM
some forums have the idea that only their views should be expressed

The truth of the matter is that a forum is "private property" and you should have not expectation of freedom of speech as defined in 1A.

Having said that, I disagree here all of time. Just be polite. Cite examples. Prove your postulates and document elements of rebuttal.

BTW, you have no idea how many times I have shut off the computer in disgust. Sometimes you just have to take a break. For example, right now I am taking a rest from another forum. I did not say anything wrong, per se, but an entire exchange between a fellow member of mine was deleted by a mod or the forum owner for no reason.

I was not sent a PM or warned. The fellow member and I are clueless as to the infraction.

So, in a strange turn, I "banned them" for a bit. There is no sense in re-entering that forum guns blazing and demanding justice.

I need a break, they need a break. Besides, in a week or two, I'll be on the highway...

silverlance
April 29, 2008, 11:49 AM
OK. not a problem.

Phil DeGraves
April 29, 2008, 11:49 AM
"In eighteen months, you'll be sick of it, or it will be sick of you."

Uh, oh. I'm at 20 months. Are you all sick of me, yet?

SaxonPig
April 29, 2008, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't pi... um, urinate on that bi... um, woman if she were on fire.

Why should I waste my time trying to communicate with the brain-dead morons participating in that Commie exercize?

K3
April 29, 2008, 12:03 PM
Uh, oh. I'm at 20 months. Are you all sick of me, yet?

Yes.

:D

MASTEROFMALICE
April 29, 2008, 12:08 PM
For anyone who's sick of me all I have to say is:

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start.

I think that should be my signature.

mike101
April 29, 2008, 12:13 PM
"I wouldn't pi... um, urinate on that bi... um, woman if she were on fire.

Why should I waste my time trying to communicate with the brain-dead morons participating in that Commie exercize?"

Yes, I hear you. But as I said, we're not trying to influence the brain-dead Commies. We've been at it long enough to know that they are hopeless. We have influenced a few fence-sitters and an anti or two that we know of, and I'm sure many, many more that we don't know about. Just go to the homepage here at THR any time, and see how many visitors there are, as opposed to members logged on.

Bazooka Joe71
April 29, 2008, 12:18 PM
It's been awhile since I've played Contra.

Halo
April 29, 2008, 12:21 PM
For anyone who's sick of me all I have to say is:

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start.

I pushed my bedtime envelope many nights because of Contra. Wasn't it Select Start though? Geez, now I'm thinking about codes from Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

MASTEROFMALICE
April 29, 2008, 12:24 PM
That was a Konami code. In fact it even works to some extent on games as modern as Metal Gear Solid 2.

That code can narrow down the age range of anyone who replied. You're probably between your late 20's and late 30's.

Forum members in their 60's are wondering what we're talking about.

possom813
April 29, 2008, 12:32 PM
That was a Konami code. In fact it even works to some extent on games as modern as Metal Gear Solid 2.

That code can narrow down the age range of anyone who replied. You're probably between your late 20's and late 30's.

Forum members in their 60's are wondering what we're talking about.

26 here, still have the original nes with Contra. Still gets played every now and again.

And I still enjoy quick drawing on Duck Hunt

mike101
April 29, 2008, 12:38 PM
"OK. not a problem."

Thank you Silverlance. It will probably take a day for your account to be activated.

Winchester 73
April 29, 2008, 12:53 PM
What was it Jack Nicholson's character said in A Few Good Men that became famous?

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/specialengagements/moviespeechafewgoodmencodered.html

Phil DeGraves
April 29, 2008, 12:57 PM
"Uh, oh. I'm at 20 months. Are you all sick of me, yet?"

"Yes."

Well, I must admit that I get sick of some of the things that go on here too, but then something comes along like "Confessions of an Anti" and it makes it all worthwhile. Besides, even though I might not agree with everybody or they with me, it's very rare indeed to have it deteriorate into incivility. I guess that's why it's The High Road...

The Tourist
April 29, 2008, 01:05 PM
Phil, I agree that this is one of the better forums, but the forum itself is only one component of my premise.

During the last hour, I took a little break, fired up my motorcycle and took a frigid ride in a circle of highways out and then back to my home.

Why? Because riding season is coming. My battery was out of my bike and only trickle charged. I have a new front end that steers differently.

My point? It shows that I have changed.

Numerous members are "snow birds." We value the forums because it allows us to be connected to issues with other people in our circle.

When my focus changes, so does my degree of interest. A comment that riled me up in January, might simply be dismissed as the ramblings of a whacko when it's balmy and riding buddies show up.

I was once banned from a forum and didn't know it. I was gone for the summer and hadn't signed on because I no longer cared...

Mannlicher
April 29, 2008, 01:20 PM
I can't for the life of me understand why you would want to post on HuffPpo, Daily Koss or any of the other far lefty sites.
Nothing you say will make any difference to those whack jobs, and you demean yourself by logging in there.

Superlite27
April 29, 2008, 01:36 PM
Nothing you say will make any difference to those whack jobs, and you demean yourself by logging in there.

The whole idea is to slap them in the face with the truth. I believe to a certain extent, they know their line of thought is a complete sham. If we do it often enough, they will have to completely disengage from reality in order to mentally reinforce the kooky nonsense they believe.

I used to read gun related news articles and look at the comments below them. Every time I would see some moonbat spouting "Guns are evil! Only the police should have them because common citizens will only use them to mudrer each other!".

I would respond with all the logical reasons as to the idiocy of that opinion. For every ignorant moonbat I completely destroy with logic, 3 more pop up. It becomes frustrating. I wonder to myself "How can people be so STUPID!"

We have to combat this ignorance with something. Just letting them live in peaceful ignorance will never cause them to wonder about their ignorance. WE HAVE TO KEEP SUPPORTING THE TRUTH. To do otherwise is to let a lie win. Just as their constant ignorance becomes a hassle to deal with, CHANGE IT AROUND! Let us give them a hassle to deal with.

Bazooka Joe71
April 29, 2008, 01:37 PM
I can't for the life of me understand why you would want to post on HuffPpo, Daily Koss or any of the other far lefty sites.

When you figure it out, let me know...I'm a bit curious myself.

Deanimator
April 29, 2008, 01:48 PM
When you figure it out, let me know...I'm a bit curious myself.
Because silence is trumpeted as agreement.

It's the same way with anti-gunners as with neo-Nazis and Holocaust deniers.

I haven't tried to post to either the Huffington Post or the Daily Kos, although there's a guy on the latter whom I basically ran out of usenet by confronting his lies, using his real name and posting exact quotes of the racist things he's said in the past. I play these nitwits like a Stradivarius. They never disappoint me either.

Bazooka Joe71
April 29, 2008, 01:52 PM

Well, you've got a point there...But if you have beat them into the ground so bad that they ban you for winning an argument...I don't see any reason to go back.

Sage of Seattle
April 29, 2008, 02:04 PM
Well, you've got a point there...But if you have beat them into the ground so bad that they ban you for winning an argument...I don't see any reason to go back.

Because then they've silenced you and the whole point is not to be silenced.

There are always n00bs coming in to every blog/website/forum anyway who haven't seen all the arguments that you and I take for granted. It's always nice to continue shutting down the anti's with logic for the new guys and gals.

novaDAK
April 29, 2008, 02:12 PM

Even more recent than that is

Rainbow Six 3 (2003)
and
Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow (2004)

On XBOX :)

K3
April 29, 2008, 02:18 PM
"Uh, oh. I'm at 20 months. Are you all sick of me, yet?"

"Yes."

Well, I must admit that I get sick of some of the things that go on here too, but then something comes along like "Confessions of an Anti" and it makes it all worthwhile. Besides, even though I might not agree with everybody or they with me, it's very rare indeed to have it deteriorate into incivility. I guess that's why it's The High Road...

Erm, I was just giving you a hard time. I wasn't serious. :)

Trebor
April 29, 2008, 06:02 PM

What Deanimator said.

Plus, not everyone who reads an anti-RKBA board is as set in their thinking as the people who run the board. You never know who you might influence or get to reevaluate their position.

I know several people who used to be anti-gun who are now pro-gun. If no one would have spent the time to try to get across to them, their position never would have changed.

For me, personally, I try to get converts in person, but commenting on other boards is just as legimate.

The Tourist
April 29, 2008, 06:06 PM
Hey, guys, HuffPro just gained a biker member...

mike101
April 29, 2008, 07:11 PM
Good on ya.

mike101
April 29, 2008, 11:15 PM
Sage said:

"There are always n00bs coming in to every blog/website/forum anyway who haven't seen all the arguments that you and I take for granted. It's always nice to continue shutting down the anti's with logic for the new guys and gals."

Exactly right, Sage.

There is something I find interesting on the Brady Blog pages at Huffpo. Often Huffpo allows firearms related businesses to post advertising links right on the same page with Paul Helmke's smiling face. Places that teach shooting courses, places that offer FFL application kits, etc..

They don't like gunnies, but they'll take our money. Very admirable.

Gunnerpalace
April 30, 2008, 12:23 AM
or it will be sick of you.

I have not yet begun to be obnoxious! :D

B,L,B,R,Y,L,X,Down,Up, (Oh wait that is unlimited ammo.... that works too)

The only way they can be sick enough is the banhammer, and that requires someone to do some very non-highroad things, Anyway firearms is my primary interest so until phased plasma weapons become available I will be here.

misANTHrope
April 30, 2008, 12:36 AM
The only way they can be sick enough is the banhammer, and that requires someone to do some very non-highroad things, Anyway firearms is my primary interest so until phrased plasma weapons become available I will be here.

:scrutiny:

The Tourist
April 30, 2008, 02:14 AM
At the end of the day you simply have to shrug and realize it's just the internet. I mean, if Al Gore invented it, just how serious are we supposed to take it? Just the heat coming off the back of PC's has got to be enough to melt down a few glaciers all by itself.

Case it point. About two years ago, I got banned from a forum for disagreeing with the forum's owner. It was a silly debate. He claimed that he was a "real biker," and I told him his dress went nice with his eyes. He vowed to "find me," I told him the dress made his butt look big. He was going to give me a warning, I told him it was a better idea to warn all of the Harley riders that pleats were back in style.

Anyhoo, I had a birthday not too long ago. So my 'puter dings to notify me that I have mail.

I check my in-box, and truth be told I got a "happy birthday memo" from the idiot who banned me! I wrote him a heartfelt return memo stating that stripes should be worn vertically, because that dress still made his butt look big...

When the fun of the forums is outweighed by the grief it causes you, shut off the computer and go outside, get some fresh air. Smack the neighborhood bully around or play a round of golf.

But never take yourself too seriously, and remember that most of the guys writing back to you are teenage virgins pounding their keyboards--amongst other things--from their mom's laundry room.

mike101
April 30, 2008, 07:13 AM
"The only way they can be sick enough is the banhammer, and that requires someone to do some very non-highroad things,"

You're not talking about Huffpo are you? All they require is that they don't agree with what you have to say. They ban lots of people for lots of reasons. Do a Google on Huffpo censorship, and you get lots of hits. They are particularly happy to ban supporters of Hillary Clinton. Anyone who posts anything even mildly critical of Obama, gets the axe. I can't imagine what they'd do if you tried to support McCain. They'd probably put a contract out on you.

misANTHrope
April 30, 2008, 11:33 AM
Perhaps we should conduct an experiment to see what happens to a McCain supporter. I used to hang out in the John Kerry forums back in 2004, feeding morsels of truth to the antis, and I caught all sorts of hell for not "toeing the party line." Granted, there's not much about the Dem party I want to toe, but in orser to avoid being banned there, it was necessary to play the part of the undecided voter. It was kind of fun. :)

theotherwaldo
April 30, 2008, 01:38 PM
BTW, Phrased Plasma Weapons scream DIE, DIE,DIE while immolating the target.

I'm waiting for them, too!

hso
April 30, 2008, 02:27 PM
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

We may not have a chance of changing the mind of the fanatic, but we might reach the fence sitter/undecided/lurker that is on those sites. If all they ever hear is the party line of the gun prohibitionists they'll never vote our way.

I'm going to spend $100 out of my pocket this Friday buying ammo so that half a dozen folks who've never fired a gun have the chance to. I'm not doing this so that they can develop a love for the sport of shooting, but so that I have a chance to propagandize them gently for our side while they're having fun safely. At the end of the day some of them will question the reasonableness of some of the "reasonable" claims the antis make. If I've done my job properly I will have multiplied my voice by 2 or 3 fold.

Spending a little time on the anti forums gives each of us the chance to multiply our voice by 2 or 3 fold (and you don't even have to drop $100 in ammo to do it.).

That's why you go there and speak the truth.

Or would you rather sit at your keyboard and let someone else do the work of preserving your freedom for you?

Gunnerpalace
April 30, 2008, 03:10 PM
You're not talking about Huffpo are you?

I meant here,

phrased

Fixed it, OK so when phased plasma weapons And a spellcheck that works comes out.

The Tourist
April 30, 2008, 03:51 PM
Ya' know, I don't see the big deal here with that forum.

As I read the articles (and the slants that bleed through the prose) I can almost imagine that guy "Cojo" from Entertainment Tonight reading the text to me.

My gut feeling is that if they banned me, so what? I've lost a hairdresser, but that's about it...

mike101
April 30, 2008, 04:26 PM
I don't care abut being banned so much, although it is fun to make the antis crazy with facts, and links to reputable sources. Hell, I've been kicked out of better places than Huffpo. It's just a little frustrating when you have something to say, and can't say it.

We could go to other anti-gun boards, and do. We do very well on Bryan Miller's blog, for example. But they don't have the following that the BC Blog has. We can reach a hell of a lot more people on Brady.

And, what hso said.

CBS220
April 30, 2008, 07:11 PM
I used to post on the Brady Blog. It was fun, for a while.

Unfortunately, too many of the Pro-2A posters are as bad as the antis, so far as insults are concerned. It's a shame when you go somewhere to get reasoned debate and both sides are doing nothing but flaming.

Those members know who they are.

mike101
April 30, 2008, 07:44 PM
Well, the antis are so venomous, it's hard not to retaliate after a while. One doesn't hear much reasoned debate, because all the antis really have are insults and lies. They usually start when you present them with something they can't refute, which happens all the time, or ask them to cite a source for their information. They get insulted and consider it harrassment.

The point is, if nobody goes there to confront them, the lurkers and fence-sitters, and noobies, never get to hear the truth. Actually, the flaming isn't as bad since they moved it to Huffpo. But that only applies to the Brady Blog. The other anti-gun blogs on Huffpo are awful.

CBS220
April 30, 2008, 09:46 PM
This is the internet. Contrary to popular belief, what they say can't hurt you. A calm, reasoned response, rather than making unfounded claims about the antis, goes very far. Simply badgering the Brady plants with vitriol of your own does nothing.

Correction- it does do something. And that something is that it takes away from your argument.

mike101
April 30, 2008, 10:59 PM
"A calm, reasoned response, rather than making unfounded claims about the antis, goes very far."

"Unfounded claims"? What unfounded claims would these be, specifically? One thing none of us ever do is lie (unfounded claims) over there, and I challenge you to come up with just one example of any of us having done so. If any claim is unfounded, it's the one you just made. We don't need to make things up. We do, however, catch them in one lie after another. And if you think we simply badger them, then you aren't paying attention. Or maybe you also think asking them to cite sources is harassment.

But if you think you can have a reasoned debate with someone like Kelli, and do a better job than those of us who have been at it for a year and a half, then do it.

BTW, I think I remember you. Aren't you the one who was cracking on Kelli's parenting skills?

mike101
May 1, 2008, 07:43 AM
There was a poster there, username MSorgy. His name is Michael. Michael is taking college courses in law enforcement. He's already been through a police academy, but he has his sights set even higher.

Michael is a very nice guy, and a good debater. He's probably the only one of us who NEVER lost his temper with those people, including Kelli. At worst, he was civil to them. Most of the time, he bent over backwards to be kind, patient, and understanding. They banned him 2 weeks ago. His name was on the 'Hit List' that Kelli sent to Huffpo, when she announced that she was quitting for the 1st and 2nd time. Kelli's list contained the names of every pro-2A supporter on the blog.

Funny, because Kelli herself was banned twice recently, for her inability to control herself. She changed her username and email, and snuck back on. But Kelli is easy to spot, regardles of which of her half-dozen usernames she's going by (currently it's 'drurylane'). She's back again. She is using a different IP, but the moderators over there know who she is. They haven't banned her again, yet.

We think she probably contacted Helmke, and had him call Huffpo. She claims to be tight with him.

BTW, several of us, including myself and some other THR members, were banned merely for complaining about censorship. As matter of fact, I wasn't even complaining about censorship, because I knew they would ban me for that. I only notified them of the recurrance of technical difficulties on their site. I guess they took it the wrong way. The Euro-libs are very touchy people.

MartinS
May 2, 2008, 06:24 PM
I signed up at Huff. When it is so easy to do long debates about degrees of effectiveness approach the irrelevant. If we keep doing what we're doing we lose.

mike101
May 3, 2008, 12:09 PM
I'm seeing some new names and excellant posts over at Huffpo. Thank you. Well done.

FYI, Josh Sugarmann (VPC) has a blog there too.

Mike

NG VI
May 4, 2008, 02:12 PM
where in huffpo is all the blogging that I'm looking for?

Picard
May 4, 2008, 03:16 PM
If you're looking, search Paul Helmke in the search bar and you'll find his blog.

sweatingbanshee
May 4, 2008, 07:31 PM
I started posting there and haven't had any problems.

dvcrsn
May 4, 2008, 11:32 PM
Picard and Sweating banshee, thanks for the support on huffpoo (I managed to get back on under djkrlsn (first and middle initial and the consonants from my last name the way my grandfather spelled it). I am one of those that post opposing Paul Helmke as a way of trying to inform the people reading the comments that are on the fence. For those that are in the middle trying to make up their minds about gun control, one thing that is obvious is the games the antis are playing with sources (like kelli telling her opponents to look up "guns" on the NEA site when she was asked how the NEA defined "child" and bragged about the 163 entries that came up). Mike thanks for the 411 on swellkell--her being good buddies with Paul Helmke explains how long she lasted with all the nasty attacks she was posting NOvember and December,

LawBot5000
May 5, 2008, 06:40 PM
Some boards are more banhappy than others. I would say this board is kind of in the middle.

On one end of the scale are the chan type boards that pretty much tolerate anything except child porn. People go to such places to offend and be offended.

At the other end are places like DemocraticUnderground that ban people for even slight deviations from the viewpoints of the moderators.

In the middle are places that enforce time/place/manner restrictions of various harshness.

This board tends to mostly crack down on people acting in ways that reflect badly on the board (typically anti LEO or anti government rants) but this depends heavily on which mod is on duty. Some mods here are cool about nearly anything short of vulgarity while others are itching to unholster the banhammer at the slightest hint of hostility to no-knock warrants or SWAT.

I've been a member on various car boards now for about 8 years or so with no problems.

I've been banned for trolling DU a big bunch of times and still have various accounts there that stir up trouble with labor unions, race issues, gay rights, etc. And of course guns too. This is an especially rewarding time to troll there. And of course their eagerness to ban everyone helps to drive out anyone who isn't either a) a dedicated troll b) a complete retard. The mods on that board deserve a conservatism MVP award for their short-sightedness.

I've been banned here once or twice over the past 5 years, mostly during my "overthrow the government" phase.

Igloodude
May 12, 2008, 01:30 PM
From http://www.huffingtonpost.com/p/faq-comments.html

FAQ: Comments & Moderation

Q: What is the Huffington Post's Comment Policy?

Huffington Post pre-moderates comments on our blog posts and post-moderates comments on news stories. We never censor comments based on political or ideological point of view. We only delete those comments that include the following transgressions:

are abusive, off-topic, use excessive foul language
include ad hominem attacks including comments that celebrate the death or illness of any person, public figure or otherwise
contain racist, sexist, homophobic and other slurs
are solicitations and/or advertising for personal blogs and websites
thread spamming (you've posted this same comment elsewhere on the site
are posted with the explicit intention of provoking other commenters or the staff at Huffington Post.

(boldface mine)

Well now I'm just going to have to see how well I can do over there... :D

mike101
May 12, 2008, 05:54 PM
That list gets funnier every time I read it. Don't you believe them, dude. What is interesting is how they throw the rules out the window for the anti-rights posters, especially on the occasional non-Brady anti gun blogs over there. You absolutely would not believe some of those people.

If you enjoyed reading about "Huffpo goes Ban Crazy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!