Ouch!!!!

PDA

Grandpa Shooter
April 29, 2008, 11:54 AM
:banghead:

Darn that hurt!:cuss:

Been depriming/ resizing some 223 brass I traded for.

Using my Lee turret press. Wondered if I could do it faster left handed.

Changed over the right front support and lever. Put a piece of brass in the shell holder with my right hand.

Ran the ram all the way up. Forgot to take my right hand out of the way.

Stuck the decapping pin in my finger to the bone.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::cuss:

Stupid!!!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ouch!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RichardInFlorida
April 29, 2008, 12:05 PM
Ouch! I hope you are ok.

If it is any consolation, we all do painful things. For example, I ran my hand in front of the power washer two weeks ago. Still healing...

Encoreman
April 29, 2008, 01:16 PM
You will know for sure to move your hand next time won't you? If you had kept quite we wouldn't have laughed,I mean known about it. We learn best by mistakes such as these. You won't be forgetting that anytime soon. Hope you weren't seriously hurt. Mac

cmidkiff
April 29, 2008, 01:30 PM
I've pinched a fingertip between the shell holder and the die, nothing compared to what you managed, and I felt pretty silly about doing that!

Hope it heals quickly and completely... (and I bet you don't do that again!)

Ouch is right!

xring44
April 29, 2008, 01:37 PM
I have "pinched" my fingers several times depriming brass, especially the short case's such as the .45 ACPs but fortunately never ran the deprime pin through a finger. Dang, that hurts to think about!!!

K3
April 29, 2008, 02:01 PM
Since you're out of commission for a while, how about sending that .223 brass to me? Obviously you won't be needing it for a while! :D

Seriously though, I hope you heal quick.

Halo
April 29, 2008, 02:04 PM
Have you had a tetanus shot in the past few years? If not, you might want to go get one, just to be on the safe side. Puncture wounds in particular are prone to introducing tetanus.

WayneConrad
April 29, 2008, 02:10 PM
Grandpa, take a picture of your finger next to the press and the offending decapping pin.

Next time someone posts one of those "ever injure yourself in the shooting sports?" threads, you're gonna win.

You've gotta get something out of this, don't you think?

strat81
April 29, 2008, 02:13 PM
In case you haven't already, dump some peroxide on that and wrap it with some antibiotic ointment and a bandage. My press is kinda gross, who knows what's growing on it. It sure isn't sterile!

rantingredneck
April 29, 2008, 02:14 PM
I'm cringing just picturing that.

GLOCK45GUY
April 29, 2008, 02:14 PM
I've done the same thing loading .45 ACP on my Dillon SDB. Forgot to move thomb out of the way while feeding a case.

Hurts like a mother!!!!

WayneConrad
April 29, 2008, 02:25 PM
There isn't much you can do, in the way of sterilizing the wound, that will help. Peroxide will do more to damage tissue than anything good. Deep puncture wounds should be seen by competent medical care, though. Get yourself to your physician.

Grandpa Shooter
April 29, 2008, 02:32 PM
See, that's why you young wippersnappers need an old guy around.

Next time one of you hurts yourself in the shooting sports, you are gonna say, "Dang that hurt, I must be gettin' old like Granpa!"

If you didn't have me here to do it for you, all of you would have to do for yourselves.:D

At least now, when my trigger finger is itchin', I won't be thinkin', "There must be somebody needs shootin'", it will just be the wound healing.

The Bushmaster
April 29, 2008, 02:56 PM
And how long have you been around that you can't remember to move your right hand out of harms way?:D Or are you so old yer starting the digress...?:D

Hope your right hand forgives you and heals quickly>

Grandpa Shooter
April 29, 2008, 03:03 PM
I think that's called "a Senior moment", but to tell you the truth I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

Wait a minute! Did I take my pills this morning? Dang, now I gotta go count all the pills in the bottles again. Where did I put that paper I wrote the numbers on from when I counted them last time?:(

achildofthesky
April 29, 2008, 03:30 PM
Dang, that made me cringe. Hope it feels better soon. I did the shellholderinthethumbintothedie before but not nearly an owie as yours I reckon.

Be safe
Patty

FLORIDA KEVIN
April 29, 2008, 03:36 PM
I was told once that pain is good because pain will make you smart ! If it were true I would be a friggin genius by now! I hope you heal quickly !

strat81
April 29, 2008, 09:41 PM
Grandpa Shooter, for your pills, get one of those 7-day pill boxes. My folks swear by them. It's fewer pill bottles on the kitchen table and if they miss one, it's obvious.

bensdad
April 29, 2008, 09:46 PM
Hope you heal soon. Sorry to hear about the injury.

+1 on the tetanus shot. You don't wanna get the lockjaw.

sadlsor
April 29, 2008, 10:58 PM
Sunday was our local Hi-Power match. Knowing I didn't have time to shoot, due to chores, I decided I'd just watch for a little while and shoot some video. It's hard to shoot in a match and tape it at the same time.

A new shooter showed up late for the start, so the Match Director and I hustled to get his target board set up. The MD laid the target frame on its side, and we began positioning the target bulls over the circular cutout on the backer board.

He started stapling with his staple gun from the front while I was behind the backer, guiding the black center over the hole. He sent the first staple into my thumb, right to the bone. :cuss: The tip of my thumb bled bright red for several minutes while I applied pressure, so I'm confident the wound was thoroughly cleansed.

I remember thinking how I felt sorry for diabetics who had to intentionally do that daily to test their blood sugar.

280shooter
April 29, 2008, 11:51 PM
Did you film that,and put it on youtube,for how not to do that.an what can go wrong..
Hope u get back into reloading soon.and if your down for any time,feel free to send that brass my way,please.i'll make good use of it for sure,

evan price
April 29, 2008, 11:55 PM
Yowza! Was that the .223 brass I sold you?
Makes me hurt thinking about it.

ON the flip side, I took down some dead trees and overgrown bushes on my property and pulled the stumps with my Jeep. While wrestling the heavy stumps from wheelbarrow to disposal site I let one roll out and the taproot jammed straight into my ear and cut a chunk of meat out of the inside of my ear. Bled like a stuck pig- and how do you bandage the inside of your ear?

Grandpa Shooter
April 30, 2008, 12:58 AM
Evan,

Nope, wasn't the brass I got from you.

What you do when you hurt the inside of your ear is pack it full of cotton balls and tape it shut. You'll have to soak it to get them out, but it works.

Don't ask me how I know!:D

socaldan
April 30, 2008, 02:02 AM
Ssshhh...If they hear that here in the P.R.C. (peoples republic of california) They'll OUTLAW decapping pins!!!....seriously!!!...Ssshhh.

Walkalong
April 30, 2008, 07:56 AM
D*** presses have a LOT of leverage, don't they.

Floppy_D
April 30, 2008, 08:37 AM
There's a lot of muscle memory in repetitive actions... your mental inhibitions about ramming a pin through your finger were likely lifted by running that ram thousands of times safely.

I've done the same, I'm hope you get to feeling better!

FullEffect1911
April 30, 2008, 02:36 PM
Ssshhh...If they hear that here in the P.R.C. (peoples republic of california) They'll OUTLAW decapping pins!!!....seriously!!!...Ssshhh.

I think in the P.R.C. decapping pins also cause cancer.

the title of the thread about sums it up... ouch. Hope you heal quickly.

K3
April 30, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evan,

Nope, wasn't the brass I got from you.

What you do when you hurt the inside of your ear is pack it full of cotton balls and tape it shut. You'll have to soak it to get them out, but it works.

Don't ask me how I know!

Grandpa, you seem to have a lot of this type of practical, real world experience to pass on to us younger folks... :D

scrat
April 30, 2008, 02:41 PM
ouch

cracked butt
April 30, 2008, 02:41 PM
Stuck the decapping pin in my finger to the bone.

Here's how you cure that problem:

Poke another finger around the action of a M1 garand, soon the first finger won't hurt so much:evil:

cracked butt
April 30, 2008, 02:44 PM
I was told once that pain is good because pain will make you smart ! If it were true I would be a friggin genius by now!

Correction: pain doesn't make you smarter but it makes you wiser. There's a subtle but very important difference.;)

jenrob
April 30, 2008, 03:32 PM
Gotta good laugh out of it. Even though it wasn't funny.

My 4yr old daughter tried to size my finger one day. After that I hold the press handle or put the case in while paying close attention to what the ram is doing.

The thing about a 4yr old and resizing is she is used to having to hang of the press handle to size some of the cases. You would have never thought that a 4yr old could feel like a semi-truck chained to the handle pulling on it.

cracked butt
April 30, 2008, 05:05 PM
The thing about a 4yr old and resizing is she is used to having to hang of the press handle to size some of the cases. You would have never thought that a 4yr old could feel like a semi-truck chained to the handle pulling on it.

I let my son help me seat bullets whn he was 4- yup he had to hang on the press handle as well. And yup, that experience made me a little 'wiser' also when he got a little fast with the handle.

dagger dog
April 30, 2008, 07:50 PM
Grandpa,

Don't let these young 'un's know about your accidental peircing they'll be wanting to use your press!
I can just see one with his tongue stuck on top the shell holder and a fist on the handle!

Grandpa Shooter
April 30, 2008, 08:00 PM
Dang, I forgot all about that piercing business. Maybe I should hang a board out say,

PIERCINGS BY GRANDPA

Could I make some extra money that way?:D

ChCx2744
May 2, 2009, 01:12 PM
ouch! hope u heal up...I got a question about a similar situation that happened this morning at about 1am..

I was cleaning the main reciever of my shotgun today. i was wiping the inside of the pump rails located inside of the reciever when one of the sides of the rails (RAZOR SHARP) sliced RIGHT through the silicone cloth and cut my finger deep enough to draw blood. i got a tetanus shot in 2005...do i need to get another one? btw, i got cut before i even applied solvent and started brushing, so i got cut before i even cleaned it, during the wipe-down process.

Walkalong
May 2, 2009, 02:09 PM
If you went to an ER, they would make you. Me......I don't think so......I would have to buy em by the case. :)

tactikel
May 2, 2009, 04:07 PM
You are not alone, I ran a decapping pin thru my left index finger (missed the bone) while reloading some .380 hurt like heck!!

The Bushmaster
May 2, 2009, 06:16 PM
After all this time you guys still haven't learned?:D

lgbloader
May 2, 2009, 07:02 PM
some thIngs are hard to give up.

LGB

Randy1911
May 2, 2009, 07:20 PM
I once cut a chunk out of my finger once when I was sizing 45 acp. I didn't get my finger out of the way fast enough and the case mouth cut my finger like a cookie cutter. Owww....:cuss: I have to say, I said a few choice words.:evil: Grandpa, I hope you heal quickly.

Ky Larry
May 3, 2009, 08:36 AM
Mashed my thumb in my Rockchucker once. Thankfully, I haven't done it since. It didn't hurt as bad as when I stuck my left index finger in a table saw.:what: We all get an attack of the galloping dumb a** every now and then.

The Bushmaster
May 3, 2009, 09:21 AM
Randy1911...After almost exactly a year Grandpa's finger has healed.:rolleyes:

Would someone check to seeif "Grandpa" is still alive?:D

THe Dove
May 3, 2009, 02:38 PM
Granpa

I am a south paw, but I'm right eye dominant. Well, this reminds me of when I was a young officer and was at FLETC, the firearms instructor had us all do the dominant eye test and asked us all which were we. I have been shooting all my life and I knew if I told him right then he would make me shoot right handed. Well, I lied and all went well. As a matter of fact I scored as one of the best in my class. Fact of the matter is, I can shoot right or left handed but I can't holster/draw/reload or pick my nose with my right hand!!!! Just thought I would give ya'll a laugh.

The Dove

Burrito
May 3, 2009, 11:18 PM
The timing of this post is quite weird! I did the exact same thing yesterday but I "deprimed" my left hand. Was trying to size 223 rather quickly an didn't get my hand out before my right hand sent the ram right up to the die. It was very weird to hear and feel my skin puncture with such a dull object. It was a lot different than a usual slice, scrape, or smash injury. It's really sore. I hope it heals quick. One concern is that I trimmed 3 racks of ribs (raw) right after that. I washed my hands real good. But maybe I should have used alcohol.

Burrito
May 3, 2009, 11:24 PM
Oh. Just realized the date of the original post. If Grandpa is dead, I'm in big trouble for not using alcohol. Should I go ahead and cut off the injured finger to stop the spread of bacteria? Kind of like Gus's leg in Lonesome Dove.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ouch!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!