This is the last gun I’m ever buying I swear

PDA

buck00
April 29, 2008, 04:51 PM
Have you ever found yourself saying that? Have you ever pledged to get one last really nice rifle/pistol, and then you are “done” with your collection? Have you ever promised your wife (with the mortgage and family budget in mind) you were going to take a break from the “arms race” for a few years?

I just said this about my next rifle I am buying. Once I get it, I will feel my collection is rounded out to my satisfaction (and to what my finances will allow) and I can thus “retire” from adding anything new to the arsenal.

Have anyone here quit, then experienced a relapse? How and when does the “bug” bite you?

Where does it end? Does anyone here have an estimated limit to their collection- a goal/set point where they will finally stop future purchases of guns? :confused: Could you stop even if you wanted to?

If you enjoyed reading about "This is the last gun I’m ever buying I swear" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
North of 49th
April 29, 2008, 04:59 PM
Dose it ever stop??
There are times when I say to myself this is the last gun ever but then... you find a calibre you love or a really great deal and bamm...new gun. :evil:

JesseL
April 29, 2008, 05:01 PM
I know better than to make promises I can't keep.

There are still so many guns I don't own!

Mac45
April 29, 2008, 05:06 PM
What is this "Last Gun" of which you speak?

Soap
Why? It would be like pledging to never eat a filet mignon again.

Dksimon
as of right now I want to buy a pistol for SD/HD and that will be my last until im out of college and have a steady job. and at that point I will buy whatever the boss (wife) allows.

Mr White
April 29, 2008, 05:12 PM
This is the last gun I’m ever buying I swear Liar!!!

arflattop
April 29, 2008, 05:13 PM
I tell my wife that every time I buy a new firearm. She laughs and tells me that's like her promising to stay out of Kohls (clothing store).

bikerdoc
April 29, 2008, 05:15 PM
Yes I have said it, and it is always the last gun - until I buy the next one, then that one is the last one until........you get the idea

Blackbeard
April 29, 2008, 05:19 PM
I would only say that if in fact I already owned all of the other guns in the world, and there was no one left making new ones.

rero360
April 29, 2008, 05:21 PM
I don't own a dillon minigun yet, so no, I can't say that I've ever said or thought that any paticular purchase would be my last.

I figure by the time I'me able to get a minigun I'll have all the others that i want (they're all easier to get)

rbernie
April 29, 2008, 05:32 PM
Have you ever pledged to get one last really nice rifle/pistol, and then you are “done” with your collection?Never, ever, ever.

JesseL
April 29, 2008, 05:34 PM
Sadly, I will someday buy my last gun.

It won't be because I have enough though.

cracked butt
April 29, 2008, 05:37 PM
This is the last gun I’m ever buying* I swear

*this week

:evil:

Winchester 73
April 29, 2008, 05:38 PM

Never.

230RN
April 29, 2008, 05:38 PM
Like drinks to a recovering alcoholic:

One is too many, and then a thousand aren't enough.

Winchester 73
April 29, 2008, 05:45 PM
and then a thousand aren't enough.

You nailed it.
I'll take the thousand.

ronwill
April 29, 2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I keep telling myself I won't get any older either. :)

Dismantler
April 29, 2008, 06:22 PM
:) :)

testar77
April 29, 2008, 06:30 PM
I would probably have as much restraint following through with that promise as a crackhead who said he would never smoke crack again. :eek:

Im283
April 29, 2008, 06:50 PM
I only want one more.

The Lone Haranguer
April 29, 2008, 06:53 PM
Have you ever pledged to get one last really nice rifle/pistol, and then you are “done” with your collection?
No, never.

Just Jim
April 29, 2008, 06:55 PM
Yep, not only did I quit buying but I have been selling.

jj

threefeathers
April 29, 2008, 06:58 PM
I told my wife that last night when I sent for a CMP M1Carbine. Then I found a hell of a deal on an 03. Now CDNN has their new catalog out and great prices on 3rd Gen Smiths. Oh wait, Sig just came out with the 250. But those will be my last.

mekender
April 29, 2008, 08:44 PM
i wont be able to say that until the NFA gets repealed and the AA-12 shotguns are legal

Guitargod1985
April 29, 2008, 08:47 PM
No. I still have 19 long guns and 12 hand guns on my wish list, not including NFA stuff.

What I HAVE done is drink so much that the next day I was suddenly a believer in God and promised not to drink ever again if I lived through the hangover. I was out partying and drinknig booze again within two weeks.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 29, 2008, 08:52 PM
Have you ever found yourself saying that? Have you ever pledged to get one last really nice rifle/pistol, and then you are “done” with your collection?

Ha ha, yep. So far, I have not been able to keep my promises to myself.

My wish list expands and contracts over time, but there's almost always something on it. Right now, I have 4 guns on the short term high priority list (0-2 years), 4 guns on the medium priority list (2-5 years), and 21 guns on the low priority list (5-20 years). This is addition to the "few" I have thus far. :)

Grandpa Shooter
April 29, 2008, 09:03 PM
Buying guns is like having malaria. There are meds which almost control it, and then when you think you are cured, you have another relapse.

I don't think there is a cure for "gunitis."

glocker82
April 29, 2008, 09:07 PM
Great deals on guns are a dime a dozen...which makes it do dang hard!

Alexfubar
April 29, 2008, 09:38 PM
I am done. .... for a while. need to catch up on accessories.

I want an ACOG
carbide dies for .223
a whole bunch of different magazines.
A shoulder holster for a 8 &3/8ths inch model 29
More CCI stingers than I can carry in one trip
Better sights on the 1911
night sights on the SIG
M16 style iron sights for my Ruger 10/22
A long eye relief scope for my Winchester 1894
Much more brass , powder , primers and lead for the Dillon

Then I want a Garand , an M1 carbine , a revolver chambered for 45acp , ...

Rinse , lather , repeat.

blackhawk2000
April 29, 2008, 09:51 PM
Nobody likes a quitter.

koja48
April 29, 2008, 09:54 PM
Don't swear (it's bad); do buy guns . . .

jhansman
April 29, 2008, 10:01 PM
No 'last,' only 'next.'

That said, I do have friends who have so many guns, they completely forgot about a few. That may be too many.

2nd 41
April 29, 2008, 10:02 PM
I'm done. I bought 3 1911s in the past 4 months. I'm done. I swear I am.

koja48
April 29, 2008, 10:02 PM
A dear friend asked me the other day how many guns I owned . . . I said "I'll get back to you" . . .

doc2rn
April 29, 2008, 10:25 PM
I am actually consollidating to the exact ones I want. I found my favorite double stack auto in an FN9. I want to buy a Styer to try out then maybe after I find the perfect EBR I can relax and enjoy them more.

Hardware
April 29, 2008, 10:31 PM
The last gun I buy will probably be the day before they put me in a box and shovel dirt on top. Face it, it's a lifestyle, not a hobby.

romma
April 29, 2008, 10:39 PM
What do guns and potato chips have in common? Exactly!

brighamr
April 29, 2008, 11:03 PM
Nope, I've never said that. In fact I've convinced my wife that we're going to invest in firearms instead of real estate (less volatile market lol).

Kitchen_Duty
April 30, 2008, 01:14 AM
Hello my name is Sam and I have a gun solution.

yhtomit
April 30, 2008, 02:15 AM
I could see saying that in a matter of years, or decades -- but my wishlist is a lot longer than I am currently able to chip at very fast. Hopefully, I'll get into some nice, cheap hobby instead, like ... yachting, or polo.

timothy

jakemccoy
April 30, 2008, 02:15 AM
I like guns, but what I like better is having my finances together.

I can easily shut down gun purchases if my finances are out of order.

McCall911
April 30, 2008, 03:37 AM

I wish I had a dollar for every time I said that...

:o

Well, I wouldn't be able to buy a gun exactly, but probably some ammunition.

qajaq59
April 30, 2008, 06:45 AM
"EVER" is a Loooooong time.

USMC 1975
April 30, 2008, 06:58 AM
I really am not buying any more guns. I am going to invest instead in some reloading equipment.

Once I have the reloading equipment I need then I will resume buying guns. Besides, what good is ammo without a gun to shoot it all through. :)

Chris

Mark F
April 30, 2008, 07:24 AM
Been there, done that. 5 different calibers to reload, and it's worth the time and trouble!

T.R.
April 30, 2008, 07:37 AM
If a man spends more time thinking about what he doesn't have, he will become restless and dis-satisied with what he already has.

If a man spends same amount of time thinking about what he already has, he will be satisfied and happy.

TR

moooose102
April 30, 2008, 08:19 AM
well, if it is the last gun you are going to buy, i am sorry to hear about your upcoming demise. just kidding. but that is about when you will quit. you might take a break for a while. everybody does. but you'll be back. one day you will wander aimlessly into an innocent enough looking hardware store, and way in the back, in a dimlly lit corner, will be your mistress, just waiting for you. calling out for you, wanting to be stroked and touched. go ahead, work the action, just one time, for old times sake. feel the lines, fondle the curves, how smooth she feels, the elegance of her cold deep blue skin. the smell of freshly applied gun oil, the short, smooth, crisp trigger. how many rounds, 4? 5? 6? that will be it, and you will fall off the wagon again. it's not your fault, its just a disease. no cure, just every once in a while, you HAVE to scratch that itch. and like any medicine, it is expensive, but necessary for your well being. now, wake up and smell the gunpowder. welcome back. it's a wonderful world. now go out and shoot !

MakAttak
April 30, 2008, 08:54 AM
Honestly, it takes baby steps.

To get out of the addiction, you have to take it one day at a time.

Each time you buy a gun, promise your wife:

"This is the last gun I'm going to buy today!"

Next time, you can say:

"This is the last gun I'm going to buy this week!"

Eventually you can say:

"This is the last gun I'm going to buy this year!"

Me? I'm been clean for 43 days now...

<nervous twitch>

... can't buy the Garand until my membership proof comes through...

<nervous twitch>

TheLastBoyScout
April 30, 2008, 09:23 AM
I'm pretty satisfied with my collection right now.

I mean yeah, there are some nice pieces out there that I wouldn't turn down if someone gave'em to me, but I've got no plans to buy more guns in the near or intermediate future.

What I have can with proper accessories do whatever I would want shooting wise.

buck00
April 30, 2008, 01:20 PM
Buying guns is like having malaria. There are meds which almost control it, and then when you think you are cured, you have another relapse.

Ok, this thread so far has been therapeutic... like an AA meeting.

I thought I was the only one who kept saying "one more..." only to get bit by the "gun bug" yet again.... and again. :uhoh:

rockinrussky
April 30, 2008, 01:42 PM
Lets be realistic, just say 'last gun in the next XX months... unless I get a raise at work' You always have to include a qualifying statement in there, that was my excuse for getting another firearms a few months back. Or... you could say 'unless the dollar will drop and my money will be worthless, so buying a firearm will keep some value'

Old Dog
April 30, 2008, 01:52 PM
I'm sure most of us with significant others have made similar statements. I know I have. But this last time, I heard, "It's your guns and your sports, or me."

I'm gonna miss her.

McCall911
April 30, 2008, 02:20 PM
Ok, this thread so far has been therapeutic... like an AA meeting.

This may or may not help others:

I've found that it helps me if I don't bother to resist the urge, but let finances dictate as to what I can and can't buy. (And I usually can't buy much of anything, because I won't own/use a credit card any longer. :o) My way of rationalizing it is: "Well, it's just my hobby, my passion. If it hadn't been guns, it would have been something else."

Ryan Gresham
April 30, 2008, 02:25 PM
The last gun will be the one I bought last!

billymac
April 30, 2008, 02:34 PM
I've got a nice revolver, service size auto and subcompact auto....that is all I need....

.......but I keep thinking about a nice 1911.....:(

OOOXOOO
April 30, 2008, 02:36 PM
I find that when I think my collection is finished I become interested in something on a different tangent. Case in point I started off buying guns for personal protection, later on I got involved in hunting with my brother-in-law, now I am getting into competition shooting. As long as I am interested and having fun then I will never be finished "shopping".

LB7_Driver
April 30, 2008, 02:39 PM
I know exactly how many guns is enough....

Just one more! :D

Flopsy
April 30, 2008, 02:45 PM
I have promised myself last gun this year. But I know better than to say ever.

doc2rn
April 30, 2008, 03:28 PM
Not to mention ammo is making new calibers look like bad ideas.

buck00
April 30, 2008, 03:54 PM
This quote from Godfather III comes to mind too:

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in... :banghead:

yokel
April 30, 2008, 06:22 PM
A self-fulfilling destiny.

A quest gone awry.

An uncontrollable monster.

Optoman
April 30, 2008, 07:19 PM
I'm just starting. Reading the some of the posts here and elsewhere scares me, slightly, to the amount of gee I'll be dropping on the 'new addiction'.

transformerguru
April 30, 2008, 07:26 PM
could never say never... but I need to get my reloading equipment going so I can buy more:evil:

Phelptwan
April 30, 2008, 07:45 PM
Nope...never.

Phydeaux642
April 30, 2008, 09:55 PM
I keep thinking that I have all that I would like to have after I get my Ruger LCP that I paid for in full yesterday just to make sure that I'm next on the list, and after I get my Yugo SKS that I just put some money on yesterday, and after I get my almost new Colt Cobra in nickel paid for that I put money on a week and a half ago. I keep telling myself that I'm done after this. Then why was I reading about Mosin-Nagant rifles last night and thinking I should have one or four and why was I looking at Ruger GP100s tonight at Bass Pro?

"Hello, my name's Phydeaux and I'm a gunoholic." I sure hope there isn't an intervention, though.

Well, I have to go to the grocery store now to stock up on Ramen noodles.

scrat
April 30, 2008, 10:12 PM
Nope i would never say that. Cant wait to get another gun. Always thinking of what to get

McCall911
April 30, 2008, 10:17 PM
My way of rationalizing it is: "Well, it's just my hobby, my passion. If it hadn't been guns, it would have been something else."

D'oh!

After having said that, why do I hear Darth Vader's voice in my head, telling me that I've surrendered to the Dark Side?

:evil:

:D

Cato the Roman
April 30, 2008, 10:17 PM
Sadly, depending wh will be elected President and who controls Congress we may all be saying " that was the last gun I bought."

usmarine0352_2005
April 30, 2008, 10:20 PM
That's like say, "Honey, if you give it up now, I won't ask for it again tonite."

USMC 1975
May 1, 2008, 07:42 AM
Actually, I was just thinking.

It's probably a good thing we do not buy guns as often as our wives or girlfriends buy new shoes or panties.

We would go broke - or - if we had the cash to keep buying would need an armory to hold all those guns ?

When compared to the buying habits of women ( in relation to their clothes and
shoes ), we really are not as bad as we make ourselves out to be.

Chris

MakAttak
May 1, 2008, 08:23 AM
When compared to the buying habits of women ( in relation to their clothes and
shoes ), we really are not as bad as we make ourselves out to be.

In defense of the woman in my life: she may (and does) make "splurge" purchases far more often than me.

I am also willing to bet that her many splurges add up to less than my infrequent, big-ticket splurges on my guns.

However, I bet it's close.

In the end? I'd say it's a wash. She gets enjoyment from shopping more often, I get enjoyment from the guns, not shopping for them.

xring44
May 1, 2008, 08:28 AM
At my age, I don't even buy green banannas, but I still buy guns that I think will appreciate in value, or guns that I find charming, or guns that I always wanted, or guns..................

Claude Clay
May 1, 2008, 09:15 AM
last year i resolved to only buy another by parting with something i had.
net gain of 10.......thats only 10 additional!
success is relative

tn-dave
May 1, 2008, 12:28 PM
Don't think I have ever said "the last gun I'm ever buying" but I have said "the last gun I'm buying for a while" That gives me a little more flexiblity on the time frame.

230RN
May 3, 2008, 04:58 AM
McCall911

And I usually can't buy much of anything, because I won't own/use a credit card any longer.

You will be amazed at how much cash you start to accumulate in a short time by only paying cash and only writing checks for absolutely regular bills.

Getting rid of my credit cards was one of the smartest things I ever did. Another smart thing to do is write out a budget, no matter how simple or elementary or "incompetent" it may be, and review/revise it from time to time.... no matter how simple or elementary or "incompetent" the revisions may be.

I don't know how firearms stack up as inflation hedges, but it's a darned good excuse and I'm willing to find out.

p2000sk
May 3, 2008, 05:04 AM
"This is the last firearm I'm ever buying, I swear."
Don't pave a road, if you probably won't drive it.:)

Dionysusigma
May 3, 2008, 05:07 AM
I haven't bought a gun in a LONG time.

I've owned (though never ALL at the same time):
Marlin 60
Mosin-Nagant M44
Winchester 1911SL
Romanian SAR-1
Mossberg 590
Swede Mauser
Yugo M48
Vektor SP-2
Bersa .380
FIE Mod. E15
Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22
Remington 742 Woodsmaster
Remington 1903A3
Colt Sistema 1911A1
Superior Arms Midlength "A3" AR-15
Sig P225/P6
Remington Mod. 12CS

I am now down to three. My current financial disaster (being a student) really helped out with that. :(

If I can get the paid internship I'm hoping for this fall, I might be able to up the count a tad. A .357 revo, a Savage Scout, nothing too fancy.

DrDeFab
May 3, 2008, 02:45 PM
Mmmm. No. But I have sworn NO MORE CALIBRES. I've got

.22LR
9mm
.38/.357
.40 S&W
.45 ACP
5.45x39
5.56x45
7.62x39
7.62x51
7.62x54R
30-06
8mm Mauser
12G

That's ENOUGH.

...unless I actually schedule a safari. Or find a deal on an M82A1. Or... :o

arflattop
May 3, 2008, 04:32 PM
Now that my "core" collection of must-haves is complete, I think I can slow down my purchases. Never stop, just slow down. I've limited myself to the number of calibers owned (sorry DrDeFab) so I don't make myself crazy buying ammo and reloading supplies.

springmom
May 3, 2008, 04:36 PM
Ha! "My last gun....." Two days after I'm dead, maybe. :neener::neener::neener:

However, I've gotten more selective. I'm pretty much where I want to be regarding CCW's, my hunting rifle I'd never replace.... but I'd like to expand our collection of shotguns in different gauges, and of course my C&R license has had rather little exercise.

But "my last gun" is a looooooooonnnnnnngggggg way away.

Springmom

raveneap
May 3, 2008, 04:43 PM
At the moment there's nothing on my "really need/want" list. Well, maybe a SW Model 60/4 ... But I'm sure I'll find something at the next show, or in the next magazine. and then there's a Luger... and a Walther ... and a Garand ... oh well, who knows? :)

siglite
May 3, 2008, 05:49 PM
I've actually said that.

I believed it when I said it. I swear I did.

I was wrong. :(

Donut
May 3, 2008, 06:38 PM
I've got two more to add to my collection before I can slow... a bolt action centerfire, probably an SPS, and a 10/22. But I'm also going to need optics for them... but that isn't a gun. :p

If you enjoyed reading about "This is the last gun I’m ever buying I swear" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!