Sleeping with a gun

PDA

kd7nqb
April 29, 2008, 05:13 PM
So it dawned on me today that occasionally I have a few hours between work and school or something like that and every once in a while I use that opportunity to take a quick nap. Sometimes its falling asleep in the recliner sometimes its actually laying on the bed.

Is there a specific safety issue with falling asleep with a gun on your hip? If its not a comfort issue is it ok?

Secondly, is their a distinction between sitting in a chair or couch and laying down on a bed?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sleeping with a gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PTK
April 29, 2008, 05:15 PM
I nap on couches, chairs, etc. with my gun on my hip in the holster. No problems in about a year of doing so.

The only time it comes off is when I'm going to bed for the night.

rero360
April 29, 2008, 05:19 PM
I see no problem with it other than comfort, I've done it a few times with my 1911 in an IWB holster just behind my right hip. Most of the times I do it I ended up waking up just enough to take the pistol out of the holster and put it on the floor if it gets too uncomfortable. The worry about touching off a round inadvertantly while doing this has never crossed my mind, I'm pretty trigger concious even mostly asleep. The only thing I won't do is sleep with the pistol under my pillow, I tried it once and it ended up on the floor, I move around alot in my sleep (or so I've been told) so I figure it got pushed off the bed by my head moving around.

Winchester 73
April 29, 2008, 05:22 PM
You're fine with the gun holstered.
I doze off 2 or 3 nights a week with my Glock 36 resting comfortably on my hip,while watching endless repeats of the Maltese Falcon and Casablanca.

Treo
April 29, 2008, 05:26 PM
I voted yes it's an issue but I thought you mean it in a mall ninja " I sleep W/ my GLOCK fully loaded in my hand every night kinda way. I've nodded off W/ my gun holstered before

kd7nqb
April 29, 2008, 05:32 PM
No I didnt mean this as a mall ninja thing (although option 3 is for all you ninjas out there)

bogie
April 29, 2008, 05:33 PM
This is my weapon, this is my gun...

possum
April 29, 2008, 05:45 PM
i have a tendaincy to fall asleep anytime anywhere. i will sleep on a couch or comfy chair, but my intentions weren't to fall asleep but i do. and normally if i am laying in the bed that is a good indication that i am going to bed therefore i will take my gun off my hip.

daniel1113
April 29, 2008, 05:49 PM
I do it all the time. If you invest in a decent holster, I don't think you have anything to worry about, assuming you're not tossing and turning all over the couch. For cat naps, I think you're safe.

CAPTAIN MIKE
April 29, 2008, 06:01 PM
Sleeping with a gun can be dangerous. I recommend wearing protection so that no STDs are transmitted between you and the firearm. Also be careful about becoming Anatomically Challenged when you mix human anatomy with the moving parts. It can be painfu.

It is better to sleep with your wife, and have the firearm (in Condition III) nearby so you can retrieve it in the middle of the night if needed. Also keep your four-legged canine alarm system nearby as an Early Warning device.

bogie
April 29, 2008, 06:02 PM
Just had a horrid thought concerning the malady which some know as M1 Thumb...

MinnMooney
April 29, 2008, 06:07 PM
It's a "Safety Issue" but not in the way I believe you meant it. It's for safety against Bad Guys (BG's) in the middle of the night.
Other threads have mentioned that it might be a dangerous situation due to sleepiness, dreams or what-have-you. Everyone's situation is different. I live alone so you'd think that would be a no-brainer...... if someone is moving around in my house (& it ain't me) then they don't belong there. Well, Yes and No. Two years ago, while I was doing an addition onto my house, an idiot plumber put a ladder up to a second floor BR patio door and pried it open "so he could work and not wake me up" he said. Well, it DID wake me up and I met him in the hall with a gun behind my back. The gun had been at the ready but I saw him 1st so I put it behind my back and backed out of the hall, hid the gun and then confronted him. I was livid! I fired the plumbing company that he worked for. I never told him that I had a gun on him for a nano-second.
During hunting season, my hunting friends think they can just walk into my home at 4 AM Sat. or at 10 PM on Friday night 'cause I live alone. I tell them (& they know) that I have a CCW and DON'T DO THAT. I think I've finally cured them.

Heartless_Conservative
April 29, 2008, 09:13 PM
Honestly I think option 3 is skewing the results a little...(and yes, I am so guilty).

More on topic, unless you think you're going to "sleep draw" I'd wager you're fine.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 29, 2008, 09:17 PM
since you misspelled "you're" in my first choice, I voted my for the third option.

Zedicus
April 29, 2008, 09:22 PM
Safety Issue? No.
Uncomfortable? Yep!

21H40
April 29, 2008, 09:30 PM
The key is keeping the weapon on safe and your finger off the trigger... its pretty common to be armed and have to sleep for soldiers (and marines, etc).

My 1911 is not near as bad for sleeping on as my M16 was! :D

glocker82
April 29, 2008, 09:36 PM
Just don't fall asleep with a glock down the front of your pants and you should be good.

Australian Shooter
April 29, 2008, 09:42 PM
In Australia all firearms must be kept in a gun safe (rifle cabinet). My gun safe is located in my bedroom. The keys to the safe are always within one arm's length to me. So this is the closest thing I can get to sleeping with my rifle.

Vern Humphrey
April 29, 2008, 09:47 PM
We played poker all last night
Dat sucker musta won
He's wearin' my new swampers
An' sleeping with my gun
Da Yoopers, Da Second Weeka Deer Camp

koja48
April 29, 2008, 09:53 PM
I always sleep with a gun, but I really need to get to know it first (I ain't easy, but can be had) . . . my Son does likewise . . . can bad guys spell "well-coordinated crossfire?" I didn't think so . . .

230-grain X 16= "defensible-perimeter/effective insurance." ('course, either of us could grab "something else," also.

doc2rn
April 29, 2008, 11:04 PM
I will sleep enough after I am planted in the ground. Too much to do in so little time.

Winchester 73
April 29, 2008, 11:09 PM
In Australia all firearms must be kept in a gun safe (rifle cabinet). My gun safe is located in my bedroom. The keys to the safe are always within one arm's length to me. So this is the closest thing I can get to sleeping with my rifle.

This is very depressing.
Hopefully, sanity and change will come for you wonderful Aussies.

brighamr
April 29, 2008, 11:09 PM
Depends on the gun and your sleeping position.

scrat
April 29, 2008, 11:10 PM
i dont know about you guys. but i much rather sleep with my wife than with my gun. though my gun maybe redily available i dont sleep with my gun.

phonesysphonesys
April 29, 2008, 11:22 PM
I have slept on a M1 and I have slept on an M14 in freezing cold and pouring rain. Neither one is as comfortable as my .45. But they are all good sleeping partners.

Semper Fi

B yond
April 29, 2008, 11:22 PM
Just don't fall asleep with a glock down the front of your pants and you should be good.

It's not just your finger you have to keep off the trigger. With a glock down your pants morning wood could get you killed! :what:

kd7nqb
April 30, 2008, 12:41 AM
since you misspelled "you're" in my first choice, I voted my for the third option.

I realized that as soon as I posted but I cant edit that text. Glad somebody else caught it.

Soybomb
April 30, 2008, 12:47 AM
It depends, have you been drinking or are you in the same room as booze? :evil:

Winchester 73
April 30, 2008, 01:13 AM
I realized that as soon as I posted but I cant edit that text. Glad somebody else caught it.

Perhaps a friendly moderator can fix it for you.
Far from the worst of crimes.:)

jakemccoy
April 30, 2008, 02:38 AM
"Yes" is the correct answer because I know relatively nothing about the person asking the original question.

In order to answer "no", I'd have to assume answers to a few important questions, for example:

-Does the person sleeping with the gun understand and practice the Four Safety Rules?

-Does the person sleeping understand that they need a quality holster in order to be safe?

-Does the person sleeping have a lot of familiarity with the particular gun?

-Does the person sleeping have a habit of sleepwalking or doing other random activities in their sleep?

Anyway, possessing a gun is a safety issue in itself. The Four Safety Rules are provided to address the safety issue. For those who fully understand the Rules, substantially all safety questions are rather mundane.

I can't understand why so many people answered "no you're fine" without needing to know anything else. I'm imagining my 12-year-old nephew asked the original question. Telling him "no you're fine" would be not only incorrect but also irresponsible on my part.

The Tourist
April 30, 2008, 03:06 AM
There is always a pistol around here within arm's reach.

(As I write this three home invasion suspects are on the loose.)

We don't have children, so when we are at home the guns are out in the open for convenience. At night, the bedroom door is locked, more to keep the mutts from getting hurt by intruders than for any other reason. They will run to anyone it seems.

However, due to some tense times at a former job, my friend and I had to stay locked inside the main office building for several nights. We slept and ate in shifts, all in the dark while we maintained a high speed camera.

Even when I slept, I had a Detonics Combat Master in a Bianchi thumb-break half holster. I slept on top of that little pistol many times--cocked and locked--and that model does not have a grip safety.

Drusagas
April 30, 2008, 03:22 AM
My wife actually made this nice little "side pocket" for lack of better words, that hangs off of my side of the bed and that's where my pistol goes. Not uncomfortable cause it's not on me, wont fall or move cause it's not under my pillow, but it's still in arms reach, cocked and locked.

primlantah
April 30, 2008, 11:26 AM
I sleep so deeply that someone would have shot me with my own gun before i wake up. When im not sleeping so deeply im restless... talking and moving around in my sleep... dont want a gun under the pillow then. I keep it 2 steps away at least.

DougDubya
April 30, 2008, 11:32 AM
A gun under a pillow?

Considering that objects on my bed move in my sleep, I'd end up sleeping with the frame under my ribcage when it started under the pillow.

Not good for the posture, my droog.

I can see falling asleep in a chair with a holstered firearm, however.

MechAg94
April 30, 2008, 11:49 AM
In a holster, no problem.

In a bed, I would suggest a gun with a heavy trigger such that casual contact in a groggy state won't set it off. A double action revolver is nice. A gun that won't have problems due to picking up lint and stuff is good also.

jpsimms
April 30, 2008, 12:08 PM
I agree that it depends on the gun and on the person, but it would be much better in a holster.

I used to have a bed frame where the rails were wider than the mattress, and a pump shotgun fit in there, so I guess that sort of counts, but it wasn't like "in bed" with me.

csmkersh
April 30, 2008, 12:48 PM
Until I read the OP's initial post, I had some qualms on the subject. As a young man, I often slept with a S&W M36 Chief under my pillow. When TDY, my wife would too until I returned. This, for some, could be very dangerous. But asleep in a recliner with a handgun in a holster on your hip is a different matter altogether.

Claude Clay
April 30, 2008, 01:02 PM
unless you have taken Ambien............

hddeluxe
April 30, 2008, 01:15 PM
I agree with 21H40. Pretty much sums it up for all us combat vets.

10 Ring Tao
April 30, 2008, 01:20 PM
Crap, I accidentally put Yes, but meant to click No.

Taking a nap with it in a holster that covers the trigger should never be a problem.

foghornl
April 30, 2008, 01:21 PM
MANY years back, I kept my .44Mag Super Blackhawk under my pillow at night, untill one day.....

Started 'making up' the bed, and when I moved the pillow, the was the Super Blackhawk ..COCKED! :eek: :what: :eek: :what: :eek: :what: :eek:

rockinrussky
April 30, 2008, 01:24 PM
It also depends on how much you move while asleep. I've known people that will sleep-walk, turn on lights, etc etc. I wouldn't trust them with a gun on their hip simply because they might 'dream they're at the range' :uhoh: Otherwise, if you don't fall into that category you should be fine.

ctdonath
April 30, 2008, 01:50 PM
The guns which can be "sleepily accessed" are in a condition which requires quick but non-sleepy cognition to operate (either via fast-open safe or operating bolt & safety), figuring that either they can't be rendered operable in that state of mind, or doing so would cause a huge ***!?!?!?!??! reaction activating full consciousness.

As for "napping CCW": I nap very differently from how I sleep, slightly-aware sub-conscious vs. dream-laden un-conscious. I don't see a situational conflict.

gunshow
April 30, 2008, 02:19 PM
Another poll that doesn't have a realistic answer that can be logically chosen.

Yes it's a safety issue AND you're most likely fine if you do it. Why didn't the original poster simply ask if we do it yea or nea? My pillow moved all over the place until I put my Taurus .357 7 shot (yes I know it's an old model) inside the pillow case and under the pillow :evil:

Hokkmike
April 30, 2008, 02:32 PM
I voted yes as I thought you meant overnight as opposed to a cat nap.

Mr. Designer
April 30, 2008, 02:54 PM
I've slept with my revolver in my pocket before. Nothing happened.

jakemccoy
April 30, 2008, 03:35 PM
10_Ring_Tao wrote,
Crap, I accidentally put Yes, but meant to click No.

Taking a nap with it in a holster that covers the trigger should never be a problem.

Yeah, but that's not information given in the question, nor is it reasonable to assume that everybody knows about a proper holster, etc.

romma
April 30, 2008, 03:56 PM
Keltec, in a pocket holster in my pocket laying on the couch. I have napped.

packnrat
April 30, 2008, 10:07 PM
i would reather sleep with a cute girl...

but i would say it could be a problem having a gun on your person while sleeping,
as some people do not wake up very good ...when startled.:what:

some come up swinging at anything.:eek:

but it would depend on who you are.

Geno
April 30, 2008, 10:12 PM
I believe that it is more dangerous to nap without a pistol at hand, than to nap with a pistol in a hoster.

Big45
April 30, 2008, 10:22 PM
I'm sorry, poll choice #3 is hilarious

mr.trooper
April 30, 2008, 10:25 PM
I used to sleep with a gun under my pillow, but have since stopped. Iv actually been thinking about this a lot lately.

My head board has two small cubby holes directly behind where you would place a pillow. i switched to keeping my gun in there. This way It can't get worked down, and i cant bump it in my sleep. As a bonus, the pillow covers the mouth of the lower cubby hole, so that you can't see anything inside unless you move the pillow.

As to what you keep, you need something idiot proof. I would suggest a DAO pistol or a DA revolver. pointing the gun will be hard enough when your groggy. Messing with safety's or chambering a round will likely not go as planned.

On the other hand, Iv been questioning the point lately. Several times now I've had family members come into my bedroom, wake me up unexpectedly, and I never even think about the gun. If someone were to break in during the night, I'm seriously questioning if I would even know what was going on, or realize that I needed to get the gun. I would probably just assume it was the dog or cat knocking something over, IF i woke up at all. Just something i need to work out.

McCall911
April 30, 2008, 10:26 PM
Sleeping with a gun

Advantages to sleeping with a gun: You never have to wine and dine them, send them flowers, give them expensive gifts before you get to sleep with them.

:D

My gun is very close at hand and I'm a light sleeper, but I don't have it under my pillow. But whatever floats your boat!

:)

Kurt S.
April 30, 2008, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't sleep with a gun in my hand or under the pillow, but like some others here I've fallen asleep on the couch or in the recliner with a Keltec in a nemesis holster in my back pocket or a .38 snub in a pocket holster in my front pocket.

I sleep with a S&W Model 66 on the nightstand next to me.

BHPshooter
May 1, 2008, 12:33 AM
If I'm napping, it's in a holster on my hip. If I turn in for the night, it comes out of the holster and sleeps with me, under the pillow sometimes... but it really depends on how I want to sleep that night (on my back/on my side, etc.).

Actually, I usually have 2 in bed when I sleep, come to think of it. My carry gun is the aforementioned one, the other one is my bedroom gun, which stays there.

Wes

Mark8252
May 1, 2008, 02:27 AM
At home I have a pistol in a night table next to my bed. I see no need to sleep holding the gun.
Here in Colorado it is legal to have a loaded handgun in your car. I sometimes sleep in my car while traveling or camping and keep the firearm in the seat next to me. I see no need to hold the gun.
You people live in war zones?

:):):):)

bogie
May 1, 2008, 03:07 AM
I can't believe nobody else mentioned M1-Thumb...

Walkalong
May 1, 2008, 07:47 AM
I have slept outdoors, with a 1911, in my hand, in my sleeping bag, on more than one occasion. It started when I was about 16.(Wish I still had that one)

Coronach
May 1, 2008, 01:14 PM
Holster it and you're fine. Unholstered is asking for problems. Besides, they make holsters for the bed that slip between the mattress and box spring and allow it to hang over the side. if you use that, not only is it safe, but you can find it in a hurry (things migrate at night).

Mike

PS I, however, don't sleep. It prevents 100% situational awareness.

Sato Ord
May 1, 2008, 01:19 PM
I have no problem with sleeping with a handgun in a holster on my hip, providing it's comfortable enough to sleep with, like on a couch, or in a recliner.

Now, on the other hand, I wouldn't sleep with it in my bed. I have enough trouble sleeping at night without rolling over on something that big. At night it sleeps close enough that, if the need arises it's the the first thing I can lay my hand on as I get up.

Regen
May 1, 2008, 01:41 PM
I just got over a bad barrel infection from sleeping with a gun I picked up at a range. :o

From now on I'm monoGUNous. :rolleyes:

ClarkEMyers
May 1, 2008, 02:35 PM
Dozing more or less seated and fully dressed sure with a pistol in a nice comfortable Alessi holster.

Intending to sleep deeply, as in a bed never holstered on the body but with a lanyard. Holstered or otherwise inadequately controlled is out of control - I don't want to wake up wondering where the pistol went.

If I felt the need I'd prefer a bug in an ankle holster to under the pillow. Handgun or longarm accessible from the bed with lights chemsticks and the accessories all the time sure.

NeveraVictimAgain
May 1, 2008, 05:04 PM
I sleep with my Sigma 9mm lying on the mattess next to me. I keep the mag loaded but the chamber empty in the unlikely event I have a bad dream and pull the trigger in my sleep.

denfoote
May 1, 2008, 05:29 PM
I've been sleeping with a gun under my pillow for 20 years now.
Yer fine!!

digiears
May 1, 2008, 05:58 PM
It hasn't bothered the security guard in the Galleria yet. They rest well, knowing the Mall Ninja is profeshunul enuf!

:evil:

ctdonath
May 1, 2008, 09:57 PM
...can't sleep...clowns will eat me...

If you enjoyed reading about "Sleeping with a gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!