Belgium Imperial Damascus

PDA

Chester32141
April 29, 2008, 08:46 PM
I just ran across a Belgium Imperial Damascus double barrel / exposed hammers ... looks to have a lot of hard earned character but solid ... can anyone tell me anything about this shotgun ... such as age and if I dare shoot it ... thanks

Chester

If you enjoyed reading about "Belgium Imperial Damascus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
glocker82
April 29, 2008, 08:57 PM
I probably wouldn't dare shoot it.

oneounceload
April 29, 2008, 08:57 PM
Damascus barrels, as a general rule, are usually NOT safe with modern ammunition - the chamber may also not be the same length....a good 'smith can determine that.

If you have pics, you might try asking the folks at doublegun:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

some very knowledgeable folks over there...don't forget to include pics of the proof marks

Dave McCracken
April 29, 2008, 09:43 PM
It's an artifact, not a shooter.

VonFireball
April 29, 2008, 10:56 PM
20 years ago when I took firearms safety they specifically told us to never shoot anything with damascus barrels.

I'd hang it above my mantle and enjoy it's beauty myself.

oneounceload
April 29, 2008, 10:59 PM
damascus barrels MAY be able to be shot - depends on the condition and the proofing - there are low pressure vintage shells available from a few sources...again a competent gunsmith would need to determine that...

tube_ee
April 29, 2008, 11:36 PM
among those more knowledgeable than I am is to have the gun checked out by a gunsmith skilled in vintage doubles, have it proof-tested after repair (if needed), and then only fire black powder or nitro-for-black loaded shotshells in it. So you're pretty well limited to handloaded shells, and chamber lengths are likely to be odd as well.

Many damascus and twist-forged barrels are sold in Britain, having been re-proved for modern nitro loads, There are legal issues in the UK that we don't have here, so this testing is mandated. Even so, I doubt the owners are firing modern, high-pressure shells in these old, expensive guns.

In other words, shooting such guns safely is not something for the novice shotgunner, and is unlikely to be cheap.

--Shannon

atblis
April 29, 2008, 11:38 PM
Aren't there modern commercial loads that are down loaded specifically for guns like this?

Chester32141
April 30, 2008, 09:40 AM
On closer inspection I see that it is a T Barker w/ Belgium Imperial Damascus barrels ... Is anyone familiar w/ this shotgun ... Thank you very much for the advice ... :)

Chester

Dave McCracken
April 30, 2008, 10:22 AM
Barker was an attempt to use the name of Parker shotguns to sell a cheap, poorly made imitation to novices and idiots.

Over on another BB these are called "JABCs", Just Another Belgian Clunker.

As stated, some Damascus barreled shotguns like old Purdeys, Greeners, and Bosses are fired after a smith checks them with low pressure loads.

Nobody is doing so with old Belgian guns.

Shotguns and grenades have similar working pressures.

As for me firing this, not on a bet.....

oneounceload
April 30, 2008, 10:24 AM
http://www.polywad-shotgun-shells.com/vintager/

designed for older guns, low pressure

also these guys:

http://www.rstshells.com/Shells-best.htm

call them and tell them about your gun

atblis
April 30, 2008, 12:35 PM
Wear safety glasses!

tube_ee
April 30, 2008, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't always assume that "Belgian gun" = "junk", there were some very fine guns made there. But knowing which those are is a matter for experts, and finding a smith qualified to work on such a gun would probably be even harder (and more expensive) than for a British or American double of similar vintage.

Sounds like this ain't one o' dem gunz...

New Rule:
Anything with a name that rhymes with or resembles any maker you've actually heard of should be viewed with deep suspicion. :evil:

--Shannon

If you enjoyed reading about "Belgium Imperial Damascus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!