sinoxide primers

PDA

djnelson28
April 29, 2008, 09:50 PM
I picked up a couple boxes of olympic arms 30-06 m2 ball ammo for plinking, and they have sinoxide primers. the box does not mention whether or not the rounds are corrosive. ive cleaned it since firing only a few of them of course and fired other name brand ammo through it, but i didnt want to fire off the rest if they are corrosive. any feedback is appreciated. dave

If you enjoyed reading about "sinoxide primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReloaderFred
April 29, 2008, 10:33 PM
"Corrosive priming" is a misleading term. The primers themselves aren't corrosive. They are hygroscopic, which means they attract moisture, which in turn causes rust, which in turn corrodes the steel of your fine firearm.

All that's required to prevent this from occuring, is to clean the rifle with hot soapy water right after the shooting session and then oiling it.

The other thing that can be done is to use a cleaning solvent meant specifically for "corrosive primers", which used to be common, but not these days. I have a full case of the solvent in my garage, and it's plainly marked "poison", which is why you don't fine it much anymore. We're being protected from ourselves once again, but in my house, ingesting firearm cleaning solvent hasn't been a common practice, which is why I still have some.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Jim Watson
April 29, 2008, 10:45 PM
I don't know about Olympic, but on RWS ammunition "Sinoxide" MEANS noncorrosive.

The residue from corrosive primers is largely potassium chloride, which is hygroscopic, and salt water is definitely corrosive. But it washes out easily with water or old style bore cleaner which contains water and soluble oil. Windex is ok, too, but it isn't the ammonia "neutralizing" anything it is the detergent and water washing out the salt.

djnelson28
May 1, 2008, 09:27 PM
thank you both- i probably wont fire it till i know ive got solvent for corrosive primers

If you enjoyed reading about "sinoxide primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!