Travelling with NFA goodies

PDA

brighamr
April 30, 2008, 01:13 PM
So I'm working on obtaining my first NFA item (a 223 suppressor). In the future I plan on getting some actual select fire weapons (money permitting).

Here's my question. If I live in MT and want to take my NFA items on a vacation to UT, do I have to notify ATF or something? I travel to UT about 4 times a year to shoot with family, and I'm wondering what will need to be done in order to take NFA stuff on these trips.

TIA

If you enjoyed reading about "Travelling with NFA goodies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LiquidTension
April 30, 2008, 01:21 PM
You don't need to notify them about the can, but you do if you take an SBR, SBS, or MG.

From ATF's web page:

Moving Registered NFA Firearms Interstate

Individuals other than qualified Federal firearms licensees must obtain permission from ATF prior to temporarily or permanently moving a machine-gun, short-barreled shotgun, short-barreled rifle, or destructive device interstate. To obtain permission to move these firearms, please submit to ATF either a letter requesting permission to move them or an ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms. This form is available at the ATF Internet website or may be obtained by contacting the NFA Branch. If you are submitting the request by letter, please include the:

• Name of registrant;
• The firearm(s);
• The current location of the firearm(s);
• The location to which the firearm(s) will be transported;
• The date(s) and means of transportation (car, plane, boat, etc.); and
• The reason the firearm is being moved.

Please also indicate in the letter whether: (1) the move is temporary or permanent; (2) the move will involve a transfer of the title; and (3) whether the possession of the firearm will violate local or State law at the destination. The ATF Form 5320.20 includes these requirements. Requests for interstate transportation will be denied by ATF if possession of the firearm at the destination will violate State or local law.

Registrants do not have to obtain permission from ATF to move a silencer or “any other weapon” interstate. However, if a registrant’s address for these types of firearms changes after registration with ATF, please notify the NFA Branch in writing of the new address, so the NFRTR can reflect the registrant’s correct address.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/nfab/index.htm

mp510
April 30, 2008, 01:33 PM
You don't need to notify them about the can, but you do if you take an SBR, SBS, or MG.or destructive device.

brighamr
April 30, 2008, 02:24 PM
Wait, FFLs don't have to notify ATF?

Is that for general FFLs or only CL3s?

freakshow10mm
April 30, 2008, 02:29 PM
If you are licensed to manufacture or sell (deal in) NFA weapons, you don't need permission. You just have to abide by the state laws where you are going through and to.

Example: I'm in the process of getting licensed as a firearm manufacturer with an SOT class 2, NFA manufacturer. Let's say that I am an 07/02. This means I can make a machine gun, take it to Wisconsin, and take it back into Michigan and I don't need to alert or notify or ask permission from anyone.

Pretty sure the law states NFA dealers or manufacturers. I think normal type 01 FFL dealers need permission, but this is a tricky area as they aren't licensed to deal in NFA unless they are an 01 FFL with an 03 SOT (NFA dealer). You'd have to get the SOT class for it to apply, from what I've been reading.

brighamr
April 30, 2008, 03:12 PM
freakshow - dang! I'm working on 01 FFL and thought I'd get out of asking uncle BATFs permission everytime I travelled to visit family. Thanks for the info though. CL3 is a little out of league for me unfortunately.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you plan on making?

wdlsguy
April 30, 2008, 07:12 PM
You can put a 365-day time period on your Form 5320.20 (http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f532020.pdf), such as 5/1/2008 through 4/30/2009.

If you enjoyed reading about "Travelling with NFA goodies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!