Type 4 malfunction question

PDA

brekneb
April 30, 2008, 10:39 PM
So, I think this question is fairly simple:
What are the causes of a type 4?
I've only heard of these reasons; over-sized bullet, overly-tight fittings of the weapon itself.

If you enjoyed reading about "Type 4 malfunction question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AndyC
April 30, 2008, 10:55 PM
Never heard of malfunction types being identified by numbers - news to me.

scrat
April 30, 2008, 10:57 PM
Same here not too sure

The Lone Haranguer
April 30, 2008, 11:04 PM
I vaguely remember a gun writer/instructor (I want to think Chuck Taylor...?) classifying malfunction types by numbers, calling them Position (or P for short) One, Two and so on. It is not common usage.

I've only heard of these reasons; over-sized bullet, overly-tight fittings of the weapon itself.

I am guessing this refers to a failure to go completely into battery? I actually did have a round with a bulged case, and the prescribed remedy (hitting the back of the slide to force it) only made it worse, wedging it in tighter.

brekneb
April 30, 2008, 11:17 PM
I think if it's not referred to in numbers then it's along the lines of: "failure-to-go-into-battery". Which is considered a type 4.

RNB65
April 30, 2008, 11:21 PM
It's better than a type 5 but worse than a type 4. Count on it.

:neener:

brekneb
April 30, 2008, 11:24 PM
What's a type 5?

CypherNinja
April 30, 2008, 11:31 PM
What are the causes of a type 4?

Wrong caliber
Oversize bullet
Oversize/bulged case
Overly rough or overly tight surfaces on firearm
Cartridge nose dived into feed ramp (yay 22s)
Foreign object in chamber or barrel
Bullet from previous squib or FTF lodged in barrel

Thats all I can think of, off the top of my head. The last two run a pretty dang serious risk of a Kaboom.

Whenever I experience one of these, I always make ABSOLUTELY SURE I know which one it is. Not only because of the imminent, serious risk of the last two, but also because of problems that may arise from the others.

RNB65
April 30, 2008, 11:37 PM
What's a type 5?

One less than a type 6.

:p

:D

bogie
April 30, 2008, 11:39 PM
Some folks feel obligated to think WAY too much.

If it doesn't work, clear it.

If you can't clear it, make it safe.

If you can't make it safe, start worrying.

brekneb
April 30, 2008, 11:41 PM
I've never heard of a type 5 what are some causes?

The Lone Haranguer
April 30, 2008, 11:45 PM
Most of these instances can be avoided by simply paying attention. There is no reason to have a faulty cartridge jam up your weapon if you visually inspect it before loading it. (Yes, this happened to me as detailed in my previous post, but I learned from it.) Just a quick glance for obvious problems is sufficient in most cases (pun intended). As for "overly rough or tight working surfaces on the firearm," this is a faulty firearm that needs repaired.

bogie
April 30, 2008, 11:51 PM
Nope. It's an AR-15...

Kind of Blued
May 1, 2008, 07:49 AM
Some folks feel obligated to think WAY too much.

Hoplohypochondria? :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Type 4 malfunction question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!