Help from the ladies on holsters?

PDA

Mastrogiacomo
August 16, 2003, 12:56 PM
Planning on getting the Glock 19 when my permit is finally mailed out. I've been searching high and low for a good holster -- something not too expensive and comfortable. I've given Forbus a look and some others but very little seems geared towards the ladies. Tried Wilson Combact -- they have something to adjust the holsters for ladies but I don't know....

I just want something not too expensive, that fits well, secures the gun and allows me to use the rest room without worry. Specifically, I'd like it for the belt to rest on the hip. Any ladies out there that can help me narrow it down as to where to look and which specific model I should consider?

If you enjoyed reading about "Help from the ladies on holsters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tamara
August 16, 2003, 01:02 PM
A lot depends on how you dress.

My day-to-day attire is usually jeans and a tee-shirt, plus I'm long-waisted, so a regular IWB holster is no problem for me.

pax and runt_ both have different solutions that work well for them. runt_'s, especially, is pretty amazing, as she is not only, er, well... tiny, but dresses very young 'n' hip, yet still manages to stash a USP .45.

Mastrogiacomo
August 16, 2003, 01:05 PM
If it helps, I'm 5'2" and 114lbs. I've no idea what to look for but I'll probably wear this with my uniform as it's for work and possibly jeans. Those are the only two types of clothes I think I'd be using when carrying.

Kaylee
August 16, 2003, 02:36 PM
uniform? Are we talking open carry on a security or LEO type rig?

or still concealed?

-K

lasports
August 16, 2003, 05:48 PM
Mastro--

Please see my reply post to your post on the Glock Talk Forum.

It may be of some help.

Regards,

another okie
August 16, 2003, 08:50 PM
Most holster manufacturers have holsters designed for women, which normally means a lower drop (gun rides lower). Just ask when you call. They're used to answering that question. The Safariland model 329 is an outstanding holster which pulls the top of the gun (the hardest part of conceal) in tight. It was designed for women.

pax
August 16, 2003, 11:37 PM
Mastro --

I'd suggest you read through Chris Cunningham's web site at http://www.womensholsters.com/choosing.html before you make any decisions. She's got a pretty good take on the sorts of things you need to consider and what she says seems to be right on target. At the least, she gives a pretty good overview of what solutions are available for the armed woman and what sorts of things you might want to consider when choosing a holster.

For my money, I still think carrying at 1 o'clock, halfway between belly button and hip, is the best spot for many women -- especially those who are short-waisted as I am. However, this doesn't work too well with the longer-barrelled guns, so YMMV.

I do see many women successfully carrying behind the hip in a drop holster and those who carry this way really swear by it.

A hint for buying jeans: if you decide to carry IWB, try looking at the men's dept for your jeans. Men's jeans tend to be a bit wider in the waist while being proportionately smaller in the bottom and thigh area, so you can use them to make room for your gun without getting saggy everywhere.

HTH.

pax

Kentucky Rifle
August 17, 2003, 02:45 PM
Ron Graham makes a hip holster for ladies. Look on his website. I'll probably spell this wrong, but it's called the "Memsahib". Anyway, that's close enough for you to find what I'm talking about. Great quality at a very reasonable price too. If you have trouble finding his website, e-mail me and I'll send it to you. He put a lot of thought into it. Must have had a woman help design the holster. Great guy too.

KR

If you enjoyed reading about "Help from the ladies on holsters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!