optometrist and shooting

PDA

primlantah
May 1, 2008, 01:06 PM
Do any of you find an optometrist that shoots? My vision is getting to where i could probably benefit from glasses. I was thinking a shootist of an optometrist would be beneficial.

any recommendations in Austin Texas? :)

If you enjoyed reading about "optometrist and shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike OTDP
May 1, 2008, 01:22 PM
Contact Dr. Alan Toler, in Richmond, VA. He can help you with a pair of dedicated shooting glasses. You'll find them VERY useful.

Mr White
May 1, 2008, 01:24 PM
I don't know if my optometrist shoots or not, but he knows that I shoot and what is important to me as far sa vision needs. I need to be able to see a front sight and a target 200-600 yds away. He prescribes glasses and contacts accordingly. I have no complaints.

BikerRN
May 1, 2008, 01:28 PM
Mine shoots competition and understands my needs, eyeglass related that is . :D

Biker

bnkrazy
May 1, 2008, 01:36 PM
Contact Dr. Alan Toler, in Richmond, VA. He can help you with a pair of dedicated shooting glasses. You'll find them VERY useful.

Thanks for the info! I need new glasses so this is quite timely indeed.

bogie
May 1, 2008, 02:07 PM
From what I've seen, optometrists who cater to the "sports" crowd are less likely to flinch if you bring a boomstick into their office to try out various scripts...

primlantah
May 1, 2008, 02:13 PM
From what I've seen, optometrists who cater to the "sports" crowd are less likely to flinch if you bring a boomstick into their office to try out various scripts...

the point i was trying to get at

jnyork
May 1, 2008, 02:16 PM
After calling and checking first, I carried my AR and my .45 into my optomotrist office, cased of course, nobody even blinked. He fixed me up with some shooting glasses that are a huge help even though he does not shoot much, just a casual hunter.

S&Wfan
May 1, 2008, 03:15 PM
Mine shoots, and has his FFL!

T.

Regen
May 1, 2008, 03:49 PM
Mine shoots, and has his FFL!
Too cool. What the name of his shop, Guns and Glasses? :)

Cyclimus
May 1, 2008, 04:02 PM
I had to read the OP thrice because I kept seeing "a shooting of an optometrist would be beneficial." Time for new glasses!

JohnBT
May 1, 2008, 04:06 PM
Dr. Toler rents a kit that you can take to the range to try different lenses. After you make your selections you ship your shooting glasses frame to him for new lenses.

http://customsightpicture.com/sight%20picture-using.html

Here's a post I found on targettalk.org (cut and paste is easier than typing)

"Go see Dr. Toler. He's double Distinguished, President's Hundred, has shot on a winning National Trophy pistol team, is captain of the U.S. Army Reserve Pistol Team, etc, etc, in addition to being an eye doctor. He has more than a clue about the eye care that a shooter needs to be competitive.

I've used him for over 10 years now. I made pistol Distinguished and President's Hundred in my mid-50s -- to go along with my Distinguished and President's Hundred in rifle -- and I'm still a competitive pistol shot in my early 60s. I could not have done it without the eye care I have received from him. You can't shoot if you can't see."

John in Richmond

Standing Wolf
May 1, 2008, 10:32 PM
Last time I had my eyes checked, I took along a pistol so the doctor could adjust my shooting glasses to my eyes.

The time before that, (I was stuck with Kaiser Permanente in those days,) my "eye doctor" was an obese guy who jibber-jabbered about my smoking for ten minutes.

My new prescriptions are a lot more accurate. Just a coincidence? I doubt it.

USMC 1975
May 1, 2008, 10:40 PM
I am curious. If you need front site vision plus a boost to see from a distance, is the optometrist in many of your cases prescribing bifocals ?

I have progressive lenses and hate them myself.

Chris

Mike OTDP
May 1, 2008, 11:09 PM
No. A proper set of shooting glasses are set up for the sights...the target can be blurry, you need to focus on the sights unless you are using some sort of dot sight.

Boomerang
May 2, 2008, 01:02 AM
I used Dr. Toler's kit about 12 years ago. I did not have a good grasp at the time as to how to choose a proper lens. I didn't understand at the time about choosing a lens for shooting glasses with an aperture. I ended up trying to choose a lens that made the target and the sights in focus. With an aperture, the rear sight is what you want in focus and you turn the aperture down to make the front site clear. No regard to the target.

I got a new lens two months ago, specifically for shooting. I told the Dr. that is what I wanted it for. He asked me not to bring a firearm into the office.

I used a tape measure to find the exact distances from the eye to the sight. Tape measures have that ability to work just like a sight. The metal hook on the tape usually has a little groove just like a sight. The metal tape holds up straight in pistol or rifle positions and the Dr can hold the chart right at the end of the tape too.

While I didn't know how to choose a proper lens when I used the kit from Dr. Toler, I think his kit is probably the best way to choose a lens for different light conditions. The range is always a different type of lighting than a Doctors office. Astigmatism is the only thing you can't figure with the kit.
One thing about astigmatism, If you have a lens made for shooting glasses with removable lenses, make sure the Dr. marks the lens orientation with marks on the edge of the lens, so that the lens can be replaced properly in the frame in the same position as it was made.

Mr Ed Hall has put together the best information that I have found on choosing a shooting lens. It's very extensive.

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html

Cannonball888
May 2, 2008, 09:41 AM
I thought the title read optimist and shooting. I guess I need to see an optometrist.

buzz_knox
May 2, 2008, 09:51 AM
I got my opthamologist into shooting, so I now have a travelling buddy for shooting courses, as well as a brother-in-law.

He works with police and DOE security personnel often. He's told them that they can bring their gear to the office to insure he gets the prescription right.

If you enjoyed reading about "optometrist and shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!