Disguising a gun cabinet

PDA

.cheese.
May 1, 2008, 03:38 PM
I just finished my gun cabinet finally. (see: http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=360405).

Now I'm thinking about how to disguise it to not scream "GUN!".

I'm thinking of maybe putting a framed photo on top, along with some DVDs and a bundle of christmas lights so it looks like it could have just about anything in it. Maybe hanging a shirt on the door with a hanger.

What do you think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Disguising a gun cabinet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pat-inCO
May 1, 2008, 03:50 PM
Where are the PIX? :banghead:

K3
May 1, 2008, 03:52 PM
Where are the PIX?

It must be pretty well disguised since neither of us can see it. :neener:

Picard
May 1, 2008, 03:53 PM
Put a sign on it saying "No Guns in Here". Nobody will know it's a gun cabinet then. ;)

PotatoJudge
May 1, 2008, 03:56 PM
Nobody will suspect a thing...

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/5492/classdisguiseua0.jpg

.cheese.
May 1, 2008, 04:00 PM
I will post a pic tonight.

camera battery is charging. :)

.cheese.
May 1, 2008, 04:01 PM
oh! I'll just put a sign on the front door to the room that says "Gun free zone".

That's my best idea yet.

Everybody knows there are no guns in a gun free zone.

VA27
May 1, 2008, 04:02 PM
A friend of mine built one to look like a big coffe table. It's right there in the living room and no one even looks twice at it.

.cheese.
May 1, 2008, 04:55 PM
mine just looks like a crappy mini-closet.

Crappy because although I like woodworking - I'm terrible at it.

MakAttak
May 1, 2008, 05:04 PM
A friend of mine built one to look like a big coffe table. It's right there in the living room and no one even looks twice at it.

That is AWESOME!

I think I might do that: what thief is gonna steal a coffee table?

bumm
May 1, 2008, 05:15 PM
I saw one once built into a woodshop work bench.
Marty

Dksimon
May 1, 2008, 05:23 PM
There are some pretty creative things you can do.

I would love to be able to build these bookshelves over a door for a closet and then put a gunsafe in the closet. Check out the pictues, it looks awesome.

http://www.abccustomwoodworks.com/Custom_Wall_Units.html

.cheese.
May 1, 2008, 05:38 PM
the original plan was to make it into a faux bookshelf.

Then I realized how much work would be involved to make it actually look convincing, and how little skill I actually have with woodworking.

ArmedBear
May 1, 2008, 05:38 PM
I tried to disguise my gun safe as a coffee mug. Never could get it to work.

.cheese.
May 1, 2008, 05:47 PM
I'm looking at it and thinking, "It looks like it could be a wardrobe."

now I need to run with that idea. I don't have a wardrobe. What usually goes on top of a wardrobe?

Dksimon
May 1, 2008, 05:58 PM
I dont think anything goes on a wardrobe.
If we are thinking along the same lines then I think it should just be a wooden cabinet looking thing. Maybe throw some ornate wood trim on it.

Bones11b
May 1, 2008, 06:06 PM
You could always make a rack for shoes that aren't worn very often on top of the wardrobe. Who wants to dig around in shoes?

Majic
May 1, 2008, 06:16 PM
Why not just get a good safe? The deceptive idea should have been the theme when you designed your cabinet and not an after thought.

.cheese.
May 1, 2008, 06:18 PM
here's a photo. I know it's an eyesore. What can I say, I'm terrible at this.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p259/Moshe_photos/THR/cabinet.jpg

I just realized that one door for some reason turned out a slightly different color than the other one in the photo. Weird. It is the same paint and looks the same in person.

The inside grey paint is actually textured. It looks and feels like a real safe.

The whole thing was build with 3/4" sandply. It weighs over 100 lbs.

ArmedBear
May 1, 2008, 06:21 PM
If you painted it white with a bunch of little wildflowers in the corners in pastel colors, it might look like it contained something a thief wouldn't want.:D

http://www.lavenderfieldsonline.com/ProductImages/pop_WildflowerBouquetPink.jpg

.cheese.
May 1, 2008, 06:23 PM
Majic - the original idea WAS to make it a faux bookshelf. Like I said, I realized halfway through building it that it was going to be too difficult to make it convincing.

As for why I can't get a real safe, the answer to that too has already been stated.

I will have a real safe as soon as I'm out of here and in my own house. That's only a few months away. This is just a temporary solution. The house I'm living in right now is has 2 floors, and there are two stairwells, both are too narrow to get a safe through. Everything that is upstairs was built upstairs. I have a 50" projection tv downstairs in a storage room because I couldn't get it up here either.

This cabinet was built in the garage, then disassembled, then taken up here and reassembled upstairs. The painting was done on the balcony. To my knowledge, real safes can't be transported in pieces like this was and assembled up here.

Car Knocker
May 1, 2008, 06:48 PM
To my knowledge, real safes can't be transported in pieces like this was and assembled up here.
Safes like this? http://www.zanottiarmor.com/features1-3.html

They've been discussed here on THR numerous times.

ArmedBear
May 1, 2008, 06:53 PM
How much are those things, CK?

SSN Vet
May 1, 2008, 07:17 PM
I've been kicking around two ideas...

1. make a security container out of a filling cabinent with the entire front panel swinging open.

2. make a security container out of a tall hazmat locker (the yellow metal cabinents used to store flamables).

when your into your new digs, you could put that in the cellar, paint it yellow and put maroon danger labells on it.

ColinthePilot
May 1, 2008, 07:56 PM
I've always wanted some sort of deceptive gun storage. I like the shotgun mount under the bed in Training Day. I would love a false back on a bookshelf or the coffee table idea. I just always worry that a gun safe is the first target for a goblin, but if they don't know its a gun safe, then they might not go for it.

mudslinging79
May 1, 2008, 07:56 PM
what about covering it with lots of cutsie kids stickers??? make it look like a kids toy cabinet?

Kitchen_Duty
May 1, 2008, 08:00 PM
Well as far as buildable safes: I have a small review here:
Dakota Safe/RSC (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=339149)

You could build that for under $600 and then drop a large wardrobe around it with a lock on the outside, double the fun :)

bogie
May 1, 2008, 08:13 PM

Heh, heh...

.cheese.
May 1, 2008, 08:30 PM
Safes like this? http://www.zanottiarmor.com/features1-3.html

They've been discussed here on THR numerous times.

well I'll be a monkey's uncle.

I must have missed whatever threads talked about that. I just went to Bass Pro and a couple locksmiths and safe stores around town. Nobody told me about that.

DeerSlayer7600
May 1, 2008, 08:58 PM
I have a cedar chest in my room that i keep my guns in, i just throw a couple deer hides over it.

WayneConrad
May 1, 2008, 09:03 PM
Paint it in bright, primary colors, and cover it in Barney stickers and the like. Pile some toys on top. etc.

If you don't have kids, it might be a bit hard to explain, though...

(I see that mudslinging79 got there, first).

Rachen
May 1, 2008, 09:11 PM
I think I might do that: what thief is gonna steal a coffee table?

Some old Victorian style furniture are actually so heavy that they are bolted down to the floors, and you get to know many of them in novels by Poe.

rockstar.esq
May 1, 2008, 10:03 PM
Well you could buy an old electric water heater from a junk yard and create a "skin" for it. That assumes that it'd look right in that location. Another idea is to take some 30 gallon plastic trash cans and create another skin. This works well in a garage because it looks like you've got stacked recycling or lawn debris in them. What it may lack in "smooth" it more than makes up for in being innocuous. I'd avoid anything that looks like shelving because lots of non gunny's hide their mad money in bookshelves and the like. The more likely it is to be simple junk, the less likely it is to get targeted.

.cheese.
May 1, 2008, 11:16 PM
I stripped all of the screws intentionally.

The only problem now that I have some ability to fix, is that the hinges' pins could be punched out and the doors taken off like that. Any ideas how to solve that?

I was thinking or replacing the pin with brass or steel bar and then welding a nut on both ends locking the hinge.

Then it'd be a matter of having to either cut through the lock or safety hasp, or breaking the doors which is tough because they're 3/4" sandply and don't snap easily. It could be done though.

This is just a temporary solution, but I want to tackle as many angles as I can.

blkbrd666
May 1, 2008, 11:49 PM
You could gut a large water heater, cut vertically just past center on each side, hinge with piano hinge, install in a narrow closet with louvered doors, attach piping and extend up through ceiling to anchor the top, anchor the bottom to a water heater stand, anchor stand to floor, build rack inside mounted on a Lazy Susan to rotate rifles around, build one vertical set of shelves down Lazy Susan to store handguns. Who would steal a water heater???

Deer Hunter
May 2, 2008, 12:11 AM
Some old Victorian style furniture are actually so heavy that they are bolted down to the floors, and you get to know many of them in novels by Poe.

Perhaps I could keep my guns in an oblong-safe?

:)

bwavec
May 2, 2008, 12:31 AM
I cut into the dry wall and studs in the closet and set it flush into the wall (and secured into the studs with bolts so it just cannot be pulled out).....about a foot up off the ground. I painted the door to match the wall, and then put high voltage safety stickers on it. To look at it, you think you are looking at an oddly placed/over sized fuse panel. The clothes in the closet hang in front of it, so unless you move the clothes.....you don't even see it.

Cannonball888
May 2, 2008, 12:43 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/114/311428982_3cd2966512.jpg?v=0

Bear2000
May 2, 2008, 08:36 AM
I also have limited space and wanted a storage solution that wouldn't scream out that I have guns. At the same time, we I also wanted a place - a perch of sorts - for my dog to lay down and look out the window, his favorite activity. So, this is what I came up with: a chest with a stack-on 10 gun cabinet bolted inside. There is a lock on the chest to keep people out in addition to the cabinet lock. Of course, a thief with a large hammer or crowbar would get into both in no time, but they might do the same with an inexpensive safe. And hopefully they might not look in the first place. And I'm also considering building in a shelf above the cabinet and throwing some linens on top as one more precaution.

Anyway, it works great for me. Cost about $1300 to have custom built to my specs, holds five rifles and, so far, four handguns in cases. Two plastic rifle cases fit snugly alongside of the cabinet. I may outgrow it eventually and turn it into a toy chest for my daughter (who arrives in September), but for now, it's a nice piece of furniture thoroughly enjoyed by my Bear (dog) and Hugo (cat), one last and very formidable line of defense. (Yes, their names are monogrammed into the cushion - I really went overboard here!)

.cheese.
May 2, 2008, 10:24 AM
NICE!

The craftmanship on mine is not nearly as good as it is with yours. That is a real beauty.

Yours looks like a real piece of furniture. I'd never guess that you were storing stuff in there.

Bear2000
May 2, 2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks, cheese. I went round and round with three woodworkers until I finally found this very nice woman to do the job and she delivered exactly what I wanted.

.cheese.
May 2, 2008, 09:49 PM
I hope you don't mind me stealing your idea Bear2000.

I've started work on an ammo locker that will be disguised as a bench/hope-chest. It should go well with the gun cabinet which now I'm convinced easily passes as a wardrobe.

win71
May 2, 2008, 10:37 PM
While in college I once had 11 firearms stuffed in an 80 year old upright piano in the living room. Unless some music loving thief sat down to play chop sticks I was fine.

mudslinging79
May 2, 2008, 11:28 PM
i never thought of a gutted out upright piano... good idea!

scrat
May 2, 2008, 11:31 PM
get rid of the padlock. if anything make it so that when you go to open up the doors you have the padlock on the inside. then put some sport stickers on the outside. People will think you have a closet of football gear or baseball stuff rather than a lot of guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Disguising a gun cabinet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!