Buying Brass - Brand Differences

PDA

countertop
May 1, 2008, 02:44 PM
Have never really done it, but what with the new .280 I am considering buying brass (in addition to fire forming the .30-06 I have). In the past, I've always just reloaded commerical ammo after shooting it.

Question - how different is one brass brand from another.

Specifically, from Graf and Sons I can get

100 Norma for $104
100 speer for $36
100 Remington for $46
100 winchester for $45
100 Nosler for $77

Whats the best deal

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying Brass - Brand Differences" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
May 1, 2008, 03:46 PM
If it was me, I'd go with either the Remington or Winchester and get twice as much for the same or less money.

Winchester is usually slightly lighter and has more capacity.

Remington is usually slightly heavier.

They both shoot the same near as I can tell.

Norma? Good brass, even great perhaps, but part of that price is the foreign exchange rate.

Nosler supposedly sorts it's custom brass by weight, and it is thus very uniform by lot.

You can do the same yourself with 200 rounds of Win or Rem & your powder scales!

I have no experience with Speer rifle brass, so don't have an opinion.

rcmodel

dagger dog
May 1, 2008, 04:06 PM
The higher end stuff is supposedly, more consistant, if the claims are true, the weights are closer or maybe the capacity is closer,flash hole tolerance,case necks annealed etc., I doubt they would take the time to water fill each case but they might weigh them.

You can do the quality control on the other brass and save your self a few bucks and most likley wind up with just as good a product.

rcmodel
May 1, 2008, 04:23 PM
There is an interesting .223 Remington brass test in the April-May Handloader magazine.

Weight Average:
Nosler = 91.7
Rem = 92.3
Norma = 92.8
Laputa = 93.6
Win = 95.3

Neck Thickness Variation:
Rem = .002"
Win. = .002"
Nosler = .001"
Laputa = .001"
Norma = .000"

Primer pocket Depth Variation:
Laputa = .003"
Norma = .003"
Rem = .004"
Nosler = .005"
Win = .008"

Group Size average:
Rem = .444"
Nosler = .475"
Norma = .515"
Win = .521"
Laputa = .594"

Yikes!
Now that we know, what do we do?

rcmodel

mswestfall
May 1, 2008, 07:37 PM
rcmodel

I don't see any mathematical correlation int this data.

Is there more data available? Knowing weight and group variation would be a big help.

Walkalong
May 1, 2008, 08:13 PM
Buy some Winchester brass, sort it by weight, if you think your rifle can tell take advantage of it, and shoot it.

If you have a factory rifle with a factory barrel, just quit worrying about it. You will never prove the difference in brands of brass.

Bullets are where you can make the most difference in how well your rifle shoots. Powder is second by a fair margin.

taliv
May 1, 2008, 09:27 PM
i have a number of older posts where i measured hundreds of cases and came to similar conclusions. except for group size. i'm not sure what they mean by that.

rcmodel
May 2, 2008, 12:14 PM
rcmodel
I don't see any mathematical correlation int this data.
Is there more data available?You would have to buy the April-May Handloader magazine and read the story.

It's too long to post, and besides that, it's copyrighted.

rcmodel

strat81
May 2, 2008, 12:46 PM
Group Size average:
Rem = .444"
Nosler = .475"
Norma = .515"
Win = .521"
Laputa = .594"

Laputa, eh? Been hanging around el barrio lately? ;)

The data are interesting. I'd have guessed Rem to have the highest group size, not the smallest.

scrat
May 2, 2008, 02:26 PM
Wow i have always had good luck with Norma. However due to price. i have been using Winchester for the past year

ADKWOODSMAN
May 2, 2008, 06:06 PM
Remington bulk from www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying Brass - Brand Differences" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!