Timmer - my simple answer

PDA

glimmer
May 1, 2008, 04:19 PM
Our first one took years of construed abuses to rally even a modecum of active resistance against it. Most then, as now, prefer the Devil that they know vs. the Devil that they don't know. As it is - it ain't that bad.

The "shot heard 'round the World" was the flashpoint that the pent-up frustration, distrust, and anxiety needed to 'set it off', so to speak, and to facilitate change. Change that at that time cost some men dearly.

IMHO, a call for a Revolution is a knee-jerk reaction to a systemic problem. The problem is not the 'government' actually, in reality - it's the 'People'. It's us...you, me, your neighbor...everyone. A government can only do what we allow it to do. It only has the powers we allow it to have. It can only act in a despotic fashion if we stand idley by, and do nothing to stop it. So, then, I believe we all have the goverment we 'want', or we wouldn't have allowed it to get this far off course.

Every citizen of this country has a responsibility to safeguard the freedoms he, or she now enjoys, but few want to actually pay the price it would cost to "right the ship". And who could blame them?

What would they do without a cafe latte, the hottest CD or DVD, and the morning paper on the doorstep? Most couldn't live without running water, or a climate-controlled living space, a soft bed, a hot shower, or 3 squares a day, could they? "Give me Comfort, or give me Death!".

...and a hungry man doesn't negotiate well.

The personal cost of said 'Revolution' is still too high, and no one wants to overtly commit to one, and then stand alone.
Apart.
Without support.
Without hope.
That man would find, as in ages past, that men will often speak, or write of the great deeds they would do if given the chance, only to find that when given the chance, they will shrink in fear, and in fear, remain silent. Yes, we all want what we aren't willing to pay for. And the problem is, you can't finance a Revolution on rhetoric, anger, or promises. Revolutions are paid for with deeds. Deeds motivated by something more than one's own self-interest. Deeds often cleansed in the blood of friends and family, and yes, that still is a cost we will not bear.

Our 'status quo' is still too appealling, too easy, too nice, too secure, too 'comfortable', for many of us to be moved to action beyond verbal abuse of the system.

Can we really ask ourselves, "Why no Revolution yet?" Is that even a fair question? Or, is a better question, "Why no chains yet?", or "Why do I have to get chipped?", or any number of questions that demand the same answer. Why? Because you allowed it, and by allowing it, you gave your implied consent to accept it, and thereby actually...have asked for it.

Perhaps Sam Adams said it most elliquently...

"The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil Constitution, are worth defending at all hazards; and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors: they purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood, and transmitted them to us with care and diligence. It will bring an everlasting mark of infamy on the present generation, enlightened as it is, if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of false and designing men."

" The warm sunshine of influence would melt down the virtue which the violence of the storm rendered more firm and unyielding. In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. Every art of corruption would be employed to loosen the bond of union which renders our resistance formidable. When the spirit of liberty, which now animates our hearts and gives success to our arms, is extinct, our numbers will accelerate our ruin and render us easier victims to tyranny. Ye abandoned minions of an infatuated ministry, if peradventure any should yet remain among us, remember that a Warren and Montgomery are numbered among the dead. Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, What should be the reward of such sacrifices? Bid us and our posterity bow the knee, supplicate the friendship, and plow, and sow, and reap, to glut the avarice of the men who have let loose on us the dogs of war to riot in our blood and hunt us from the face of the earth? If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom--go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!

...but Winston Churchill may have said it best.

"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed;
if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly;
you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival.
There may even be a worse case...
You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish, than to live as slaves.

glimmer

If you enjoyed reading about "Timmer - my simple answer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CBS220
May 1, 2008, 04:46 PM
Not activism. Nor is it particularly coherent.

Are you responding to someone in another thread?

Jorg Nysgerrig
May 1, 2008, 04:54 PM
I believe it was in response to this locked thread: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=360433

glimmer
May 1, 2008, 05:17 PM
CBS220 -

Only coherent in context to Timmer's locked thread on "Why no revolution?"...and maybe not even then...

glim

CWL
May 1, 2008, 05:23 PM
Who exactly are "we" supposed to have a Civil War with? I don't even know what side I'm on.

sweatingbanshee
May 1, 2008, 05:49 PM
You could start by naming all those who subvert the Constitution as traitors, and giving them their just reward.

Justin
May 1, 2008, 06:00 PM
*sigh*

If you enjoyed reading about "Timmer - my simple answer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!