Were to get 14.5x114 russian brass

PDA

gvnwst
May 1, 2008, 09:41 PM
hi all, i was wondering if anyone knew where to get some 14.5x114brass. if not, does anyone know any companies that make custom brass? (i heard that some companies do this) Thanks for your help,:)
Gvn:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Were to get 14.5x114 russian brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Afy
May 2, 2008, 08:24 AM
What kind of weapon shoots a 14.5x114?:scrutiny:

If its the PTRD rifle... might want to consider rebarreling to .50

rcmodel
May 2, 2008, 12:01 PM
It would be illegal in the United States if you could find any.

.50 Cal is the upper limit you can own without jumping through a lot of hoops & paying a lot of money.

The .586" bore size makes it a "Destructive Device" and there would be a $200 transfer tax on every round of loaded ammo.
Also on the gun itself.

You will also need a mighty big reloading press & dies!

rcmodel

armoredman
May 2, 2008, 12:03 PM
Brass only, not loaded rounds, should be as legal as church on Sunday. Look for sites offering Russian surplus gear. Check with MidwayUSA and Old Western Scrounger.

627PCFan
May 2, 2008, 12:03 PM
So would a .577 Trex be classified as destructive?

rcmodel
May 2, 2008, 12:08 PM
There have been exceptions made for "Sporting Rifles" of the elephant variety.

I doubt a Russian Anti-Tank gun is going to qualify though.

And yes, empty brass is legal. But if he loads it, it isn't going to be.

rcmodel

627PCFan
May 2, 2008, 12:32 PM
Maybe he has a Panzer problem that needs to be dealt with:what:

Snow Dog
May 2, 2008, 06:39 PM
If he is up here in Canada then he likely wants to feed a PTRD or PTRS. There was a batch brought in by a dealer but there was no ammo brought in. Up here the guns are just considered rifles but I believe the ammo may be considered as a explosive and therefore unimportable and/or illegal. If he gets the cases and loads some type of solid slug then he should be fine.

jlbraun
May 2, 2008, 07:00 PM
I thought that only the gun was a destructive device. The loaded rounds themselves as long as they aren't explosive are perfectly legal.

CBS220
May 2, 2008, 10:25 PM
I thought that only the gun was a destructive device. The loaded rounds themselves as long as they aren't explosive are perfectly legal.

Pretty sure this is correct, or Anzio Ironworks wouldn't offer their 20mm line, not to mention there wouldn't be any of those nifty Lahtis laying around...

armoredman
May 2, 2008, 11:55 PM
Hmm, I THINK solid slugs are legal, just not HE or AP, but I don't know that for a fact - never could quite afford such a toy.

gvnwst
May 4, 2008, 01:59 PM
actually, this is for a long range wildcatt, so the bullet dia would be a legal one.(under .50)
armoredman: do u have any russian surplus site names?
thanks for the replies
gvn

jlbraun
May 4, 2008, 02:06 PM
I would be interested in this wildcat when you finish it.

useful_idiot
May 15, 2008, 06:43 AM
If you find some, please let us know the source.

Thank you,
chuck

Intel6
May 15, 2008, 11:58 PM
All the rounds I ever saw were steel cased so the same thing in brass may be hard to find.

LeonCarr
May 19, 2008, 10:24 PM
Do you know anybody in the US or Canadian military serving in Iraq or Afghanistan?

LeonCarr

gvnwst
May 20, 2008, 01:08 PM
leoncarr: i don't know anyone there right now, the only one i knew is back allready.

useful idiot: i have found a few scources of it, i will get the url and post them asap. do you want brass or steel cased, the brass at one website was $20 per, and the steel was $15 per. unfortunatly, that was the cheapest i have found it sofar

Z-Michigan
May 20, 2008, 10:01 PM
Just curious, why is .50 BMG brass too small for a bullet less than .50 cal? Is your cartridge going to have a name like "Bigger than Tyrannosaur!"?

I was pondering this and wondering if you could take .50 BMG cases and do an "Ackley Improved" version for a bit more capacity. Probably a lot easier than trying to find the Russian type cases.

gvnwst
May 21, 2008, 03:43 PM
Z-Michigan: to the best of my knowledge, the 50bmg has 265gr plus or minus h2o capacity. my 'catt will have over 350gr. i'm using such a large dia cartdrige to create a more efficent one. i am hoping for about 3,500fps with a 600gr or 650gr bullet. 25" barrel. these are all hopes though.

useful idiot: here are the url's:

http://www.bigskysurplus.com/
http://www.pmulcahy.com/ammunition/heavy-caliber_small_arms_rounds.htm

Thanks for the info guys(and any girls out there)

gvn

Z-Michigan
May 21, 2008, 04:16 PM
Sounds like a monster. I would think your velocity to weight should be achievable, but I also wonder how short barrel life would be.

Maybe you could get someone like Silver State to do a special run of "0.50 Super Short Ultra Magnum" or some such thing?

Or get some 20mm Vulcan cases and neck them down to 12 or whatever you're planning...

gvnwst
May 21, 2008, 07:16 PM
the bullet is a .458 dia. i can't find enough info on the 20mm vulcan, though it was one possiblity. i am hoping for a little more than 500-600 rounds per barrel. not the most economical, but it shouldbe able to accurately shoot out to 3000+yd.

gvn

If you enjoyed reading about "Were to get 14.5x114 russian brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!