Texas - and questions

PDA

ieszu
May 2, 2008, 01:10 PM
I have been doing my research, going to roll the dice and see what info I can get here....

I want to relocate to Texas, either Dallas/Ft. Worth or Houston. My thoughts are either to open a gunshop/gunsmith facility now, with a range in a year or 2 from now, or see if I can purchase an existing business and make it better.

I was curious if you guys had any knowledge of one that is for sale (nothing I could find on-line).... I have the capital to invest and the experience to make it work, just looking to find a place now. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas - and questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Prince Yamato
May 2, 2008, 01:11 PM
It might be very difficult to put a new indoor range in in Dallas. I think they have very strict building codes now (which is why most of the indoor ranges there are in older buildings). Gun shop, probably, range, probably not.

primlantah
May 2, 2008, 01:18 PM
my thoughts would be to avoid investing in houston.

geophysicishooter
May 2, 2008, 01:19 PM
Life long Texan from birth here.

If I was going to move anywhere in Tx, it sure as heck wouldn't be to either of the mondoplexes you mentioned. If I had my choice of Tx cities to move to, it would be Austin.

Not sure what the building codes/restirctions would be there as far as an idoor range but as far as quality of life and recreation opportunities, Austin can't really be beat. (and I'm from Houston originally)

Kindrox
May 2, 2008, 01:23 PM
There is Dallas city proper, and then there is the metroplex. I don't think I'd open a shop/range in Dallas no matter what the building codes. There is already competition there and fewer areas of wealth density that lend themselves to a gun business.

I would probably do

1. Allen/McKinney/Frisco. Lots of wealth density. No gun shop+range at all that I am aware of, and only one gun store that I am aware of. The existing gun store is not centrally located for the Allen/McKinney/Frisco residents.

People in these communities have to drive 15-25 minutes to visit Bullet Trap as their closest indoor range and Bullet Trap is very busy. I drive a little further to shoot outdoors because the busyness level of Bullet Trap annoys me.

North Dallas is really low on the total number of gun stores/ranges.

2. Southlake. One of the highest per capita income cities in the metroplex. I do believe there may already be competition in the surrounding towns.

ieszu
May 2, 2008, 01:24 PM
I wish I could live other places in TX, but certain personal requirements force me to live in one of those 2 places, although a reasonable commute is not out of the question...

I have checked the zoning in Dallas, and have found definitions that would not prohibit me from opening..... (Indoor recreational facility, educational facility)...

Kindrox
May 2, 2008, 01:25 PM
If I had my choice of Tx cities to move to, it would be Austin.

In general what geo said about Austin is true, except I don't know about opening a gun store there. Austin is a very liberal enclave in a much more gun friendly Texas.

TexasRifleman
May 2, 2008, 01:28 PM
I have checked the zoning in Dallas, and have found definitions that would not prohibit me from opening.....

Dallas county and city taxes might kill you anyway.

Really look at something outside of Dallas city limits for many reasons besides zoning. Insurance costs, taxes, everything is going to be much higher there.

Irving, Plano, Addison, Richardson etc. Growth is north so that's the direction you want to be looking, not Dallas itself. There's no growth there.

ieszu
May 2, 2008, 01:30 PM
Growth is north so that's the direction you want to be looking, not Dallas itself.

OK, thanks for your help. Have you heard about a place for sale? Owner talking about retiring?

Kindrox
May 2, 2008, 01:37 PM
Have you heard about a place for sale? Owner talking about retiring?

See that is the great thing about North. There are VERY few gun stores. Not much to retire from and why I would like to see a gun store or two move in.

BTW Allen/McKinney/Frisco are North Dallas. Plano and Richardson are not not North Dallas anymore.

primlantah
May 2, 2008, 01:37 PM
Austin is a nice place but is quickly going down hill. Growth here is amazing and the city and surrounding areas cant really keep up with it(or the crime that comes with it).

Houston is one of the most retarded places in the state... avoid it like the plague.

Dallas would be the better choice for your situation but i cannot help with land for sale. If i were you i would avoid city limits and look into county taxes. Dallas has lots of nice people and areas in the not so close in to the metro area suburbs.

geophysicishooter
May 2, 2008, 01:38 PM
I get the feeling that the Liberalness of Austin gets a little overplayed. Yeah, it's *more* liberal than alot of places in Texas but the baseline is set pretty far right. It's not Boulder or Portland, OR, or San Fran or some other places. A quick google search turns up several dozen shos and ranges in the 'greater' Austin Area..

I think the bigger issue to be faced anywhere is going to be the amount of competition you'll be facing and setting yourself apart from the crowd and dealing with the big boxes like Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc.

MechAg94
May 2, 2008, 02:11 PM
Houston is like any other city. Move to a suburb.

springmom
May 2, 2008, 02:21 PM
Houston is like any other city. Move to a suburb.

The suburbs do have some gun ranges. Carter's Country is here in north Harris county; there are a couple up in Conroe; Carter's is also east on the Katy Freeway. There is Hot Wells out 249. AFAIK, though, the only nice INDOOR shop is Top Gun, down by the Galleria. None of those places is for sale.

HOWEVER...there was a little place in Humble...Sportsman's Gallery or something like that. It burned down about 18 months ago or so, and has not been rebuilt or replaced. It had an indoor range, sold a lot of C-Tac holsters because the maker is local, had a nice selection of other holsters, lots of different guns, and was a great place to go browse, learn, get stuff you couldn't get elsewhere. I miss it, everytime I need a new holster. It was on FM 1960 in Humble. Were you to replace it, I expect you'd find the rent low; the commute is quite doable into Houston, going down 59. There is one other indoor range in the area but it is nasty; the owners pride themselves on filling up the place with cigarette smoke in the name of freedom; the one time I went in there, I had to flee the smoke and still ended up with an asthma attack. No thanks.

Open up a NICE indoor range, with ladies' nights, competitions, and a clean and welcoming interior and you could do real well out there.

Good luck.

Springmom

ieszu
May 2, 2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks for all your help with this..... I guess I will concentrate on North Dallas area... outside city limits. Not sure what the problem with Houston is, other than its lack of zoning and lots of freeways.

And Austin is out of the picture for many reasons, of which the "liberalness" is not one of them.

springmom
May 2, 2008, 02:25 PM
??? Our posts may have crossed paths. But don't rule out Houston until you've checked out that situation in Humble. They did a really good business, I can tell you; and they are missed.

Springmom

ieszu
May 2, 2008, 02:27 PM
Springmom - You are right, our posts did cross. From what I can find, the place you are talking about is "Sportsmans Outlet Indoor Shooting Center" and were located at "1710 FM 1960 Bypass East
Humble, TX 77338-3916".

Was this the place you were talking about?

primlantah
May 2, 2008, 02:30 PM
Not sure what the problem with Houston is, other than its lack of zoning and lots of freeways.

in my opinion thats about half of it... the other half is high crime, hurricanes, and katrina refuges. I think their highways are awful. When i go there on business i use room service and leave town as fast as possible. Though I will second what springmom said...not from my personal experience but a friends dad lives in Katy(uses Katy long distance or carters if its the same place) and seems satisfied.

possom813
May 2, 2008, 02:30 PM
You should try around Corsicana, Navarro County.

Population of around 50,000 with an average income of around 31,000.

Gander Mtn and another local shop are the only competition I'm aware of.

No public range. There is one listed on the range directory pages as Texas Silhoueta Association(IIRC), but the number listed is for a local bank that has no idea what I'm talking about.

Gander Mtn and the other shop are both way overpriced, and neither like special orders.

There are also several buildings in the downtown area that are empty and the rent isn't too terrible. Anywhere from 300 to about 1000 a month. If you seriously think about Corsicana, shoot me a pm and I can tell you a lot more, like certain building owners to avoid at all costs.

-John

Just throwing it out there.

springmom
May 2, 2008, 02:32 PM
Yes, that's the one. A sad day when I drove over there to find a burned out shell.

Apparently it was a right lively fire, as the considerable amount of ammo in there made a Big Bang. Lots of them, actually. :what:

Springmom

lloydkristmas
May 2, 2008, 02:33 PM
Frisco TX is one of the fastest growing cities in the US and.......

.....theres no gun shop there yet.

Theres a lot of wealthy people with money to spend, who hate having to drive into the East Plano ghetto to buy guns at the Bullet Trap.

I'd say invest in Frisco.

Acera
May 2, 2008, 02:35 PM
Yes ieszu that is the place she is talking about. Gary, the owner, says that he will reopen in late summer. (He has had some problems with the insurance claim, uh free advice, check very carefully before buying insurance from the NRA.)

I like springmom would love to have another decent range here in Houston, especially on the north side. Carters has gotten expensive, and the range on 1314 is a little too bubba for me.

Top Gun is nice, just not convenient.

springmom
May 2, 2008, 02:39 PM
If you were going to do a good indoor range your options about where to locate are more flexible than if you want enough space for a big outdoor range. American Shooting Centers has a fabulous spread but they're about halfway to Galveston for me :uhoh: so we almost never go there.

So Sportsman's is going to reopen, eh? Well, there'd still be room for something up in the Spring/Klein area, say. This area is VERY supportive of gun shops.

Springmom

GEM
May 2, 2008, 02:46 PM
Austin has several nice gun shops and two indoor ranges. There are several outdoor ranges - hard to compete. There are lots of big box sporting goods stores to compete with.

San Antonio does not have a quality indoor range. It has two major gun stores and some little ones. One of the majors is the nasty gun store model , the other is nice. There are some nice smaller stores. Lots of big box. There two indoor ranges but one is Bass Pro and very expensive. The other is small and super expensive. Lots of outdoor ranges but lots of shooters.

SA had an ok small range but it was put out of business by a big indoor range run by idiots, thieves and commandos. Then they sold out to become a 100 yard long church. :D

You need to determine if you can offer something the competition doesn't.

ieszu
May 2, 2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks everyone... you have all been a huge help. This is why I love THR.

I will crunch some numbers, speak to some real estate brokers, flip some coins and let you all know.

Of course, when it all goes down I will tell you guys, and coffee and donuts on opening day will be on me. :D

doc540
May 2, 2008, 02:55 PM
What's not to like about Houston?

It has more gun shops and topless bars per capita than any city in the known world.:neener:

Cuzzin
May 2, 2008, 02:59 PM
There was a plan to build a range (Tactical Edge) on land in Roanoke, Texas. Roanoke is near the Cabela's and the Texas Motor Speedway, and about 20 miles from downtown center Fort Worth. Would be a great location. The range has been put on hold because... well... read the posts on the TXCHLforum at http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_Forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12427.

TX1911fan
May 2, 2008, 03:00 PM
ieszu, if I were you, I'd look at Leader, Cedar Park, or Round Rock. These are all suburbs of Austin, to the north, and are growing rapidly. There is only one gun range close, and it is outdoor. We have almost nothing in terms of gunsmithing up here. I know you'd have significant clientele, especially with some good advertising. I'd help you! The outdoor range here runs two CHL classes a month and they are always packed. Another several companies rent the CHL range the other two weekends. And you don't have to live in Dallas or Houston!

csmkersh
May 2, 2008, 05:00 PM
Many of us Texicans consider Austin to be Moscow on the Colorado. I'd avoid the DFW area. Plano, Llano, Spring, Lampasas all are nice small towns. If ya like chicken fried bacon, Snook might be a good choice.

Snarlingiron
May 2, 2008, 05:10 PM
When it comes to folks moving to Texas, I think the best place for them to go is Tulsa.

Don't mean to be inhospitable, but there are just too danged many folks moving to Texas.

ieszu
May 2, 2008, 06:13 PM
The main reason I am looking at living in Dallas or Houston is because of the community. As an Orthodox Jew, I have to live within a reasonable walking distance of an Orthodox synagogue.

I have looked into where I can live, and have based my locations on that premises. Dallas and Houston are the only real possibilities for me to live, but I am willing to drive about an hour each way, so that gives me a potential area of most of the suburbs.

And Snarlington, don't worry about me and my wife... we are proper neighbors, and real easy to get along with :)

Geronimo45
May 2, 2008, 06:55 PM
North Dallas is really low on the total number of gun stores/ranges.
Absolutely right.

I think Fort Worth has plenty of gun places... and for those willing to drive, Tac-Pro's about a half hour (I think?) west of 'em.

csmkersh
May 2, 2008, 06:58 PM
San Antonio has 6 synagogues and 1 Messianic synagogue. I'm certain at least one is an Orthodox synagogue.

ieszu
May 2, 2008, 07:21 PM
San Antonio has 6 synagogues and 1 Messianic synagogue. I'm certain at least one is an Orthodox synagogue.

There is one, but it is rather small and can't get 10 men together for prayers 3x a day, and there are no Orthodox day schools in the area... which I will need for future children.

The only areas with that are Houston and Dallas. :banghead:

geophysicishooter
May 2, 2008, 08:59 PM
When it comes to folks moving to Texas, I think the best place for them to go is Tulsa.

That's not a very nice or Texan thing to say. And while it may be true that there's a great many people moving to the Friendship State, ieszu sounds like the kind of New Texan we should all be welcoming. He's not a hurricane refugee, he's not a "migrant" worker, he's not an anti-gun yankee that'll want to change our state to suit his own fancy..

He's an investor and an entrepenuer (sp?) who want to make a living for himself, raise a family and contibute to Texas Culture and society (and economy) in a way we should be proud to welcome to this state with open arms.

On a side note, I'm surprised to hear that Austin doesn't offer the kind of religious community, for lack of a better term, that you're looking for.. interesting...

And for whoever said something about the hiways and traffic around Houston.. Have you been to Dallas?? Houston's no picnic as far as traffic goes but I can asure you DFW aint. any. better..

ieszu, let me be the first to officially welcome you to Texas!!

jfountain2
May 2, 2008, 09:02 PM
Personally I recommend opening an outdoor range close to Longview near the Louisiana border, but only because I need a place to shoot when I go visit my Mom.

msgttbar
May 2, 2008, 09:22 PM
My kids live in Allen and I agree that anywhere north on US 75 beyond Plano would be an ideal location for what you plan. An outdoor range would be wonderful out there.

hank327
May 2, 2008, 09:53 PM
And for whoever said something about the hiways and traffic around Houston.. Have you been to Dallas?? Houston's no picnic as far as traffic goes but I can asure you DFW aint. any. better..

Actually, the Dallas/Ft.Worth Metromess is worse than Houston traffic wise. Just this afternoon there was a story on the evening news that had DFW as having the 4th worse traffic in the entire USA. Houston lagged way behind at 8th. :)

It would be nice to have a good gunstore in the Denton area again. Too bad you didn't come along a few years ago ieszu as a great gun store was for sale here in Denton. The owners were retiring and were looking to sell. When no buyer was forthcoming, they just shut it down. Since then it's been a wasteland up here.

We are also losing outdoor gun ranges at an alarming rate in the Metromess. I'm aware of the closing of one in Denton County and one in Mckinney. People build homes next to an already existing gun range and then they exert political pressure to get the pols to shut the range down! :banghead:

Kindrox
May 2, 2008, 10:24 PM
I guess I will concentrate on North Dallas area... outside city limits.

You do know the three rules of retail, right? #1 is location, #2 is location, and #3 is location.

If you put yourself out "city" limits, you are going to have a poor location. Why balk at a couple % increased taxes when you will get 200-1000% better store traffic?

I don't recall the last time I was outside "city" limits. The metroplex is such that to be outside the limits of a city is to be really out in the sticks.

rbernie
May 2, 2008, 10:26 PM
The outdoor range in McKinny was shut down about a year ago by the city; McKinney currently has no real shooting venue as far as I know. The closest ranges are in Plano (indoor), Garland (outdoor 100yd), Little Elm (outdoor), and Greenville (300yd outdoor).

Both McKinney and Frisco are trying to duplicate the 'upscale suburban growth' that Plano engineered over the last couple of decades. As a result, they seem to be discouraging pawn shops, gun stores, and other 'less desirable' businesses - there are virtually none to be found. I would not be surprised to find that you cannot open a gun store within the McKinney of Frisco city limits due to some zoning issue or another. I could be wrong, and it's certainly worth a call or two to find out. It may not be an intentional thing, but just a result of the demographics of the area's growth population.

The area is heavily Republican, but most folks are transplants looking for sunshine and a place to drive big cars. They generally aren't really big into the gun culture the way you might find it up in the panhandle or further west.

Nevertheless, there are several gun stores in east Plano that have managed to earn a decent living due to the income level of the area and the moderate population density ensuring *some* percentage of gunnies. It's not unreasonable to expect that the same could be done in McKinney or thereabouts.

Open a store here, and I'll be your first customer. That's a promise. :D

neviander
May 2, 2008, 10:39 PM
Kilgore (gregg county) is lacking a gun shop ;)

Kindrox
May 2, 2008, 10:44 PM
If I was to open a gun store, I would open in Allen/McKinney/Frisco. I would open right off of 121.

You could hardly go wrong with an indoor range. I agree that many of the North Dallas folks are not gunnies, but a lot of them want to be. I am personally infecting two guys right now with the gun bug. I am helped by a guy I already infected with the gun bug.

We all live in North Dallas.

hank327
May 2, 2008, 11:17 PM
The Little Elm outdoor range was shut down at about the same time as the Mckinney range.

TexasRifleman
May 2, 2008, 11:24 PM
If you put yourself out "city" limits, you are going to have a poor location. Why balk at a couple % increased taxes when you will get 200-1000% better store traffic?

Why would you expect to get 1000% better traffic by being inside the Dallas city limits instead of the McKinney or Allen?

There's a gun store on every corner in Dallas, there are hardly any at all, if any, in Allen or McKinney.

As far as "outside" any city limits goes there is no such place within 100 miles north of Dallas any longer. Cities have assumed just about every square inch of land all the way to the Oklahoma border pretty much, at least to Sherman/Denison. There is no land that's not in an incorporated city limit north of Dallas these days.

Fburgtx
May 2, 2008, 11:43 PM
Fort Worth has a nice synagogue on Hulen, just north of I-20, near Arborlawn. Don't know if it's an "orthodox" synagogue, though. There's lots of nice housing within easy walking distance. While Cabela's would give you lots of competition on the sales end, the nice thing is that they DON'T have an indoor range. I think someone could do alright if they had a range near Cabela's. People would come in before or after going there, perhaps to rent a gun or to shoot with the purchase they just made at Cabela's or maybe just to compare prices. Cabela's prices aren't that great on new guns anyway, so you might get quite a few sales by "undercutting" their prices.

Dallas isn't horrible, but it's MUCH harder to get around there (traffic).

rbernie
May 3, 2008, 12:14 AM
The Little Elm outdoor range was shut down at about the same time as the Mckinney range.Last I heard, they're back open.

ieszu
May 3, 2008, 08:58 PM
I don't recall the last time I was outside "city" limits. The metroplex is such that to be outside the limits of a city is to be really out in the sticks.

I meant outside official Dallas city limits, not outside the metropolis.... but that may not be appropriate in this case. Monday morning I am on the phone to commercial real estate brokers, so that I can see what is out there. :)

Thank for all your help and advice.... I will keep you guys filled in on what is going on.

Drizzt
May 4, 2008, 01:00 AM
How about Denton, just north of Dallas? Is there much there in the way of ranges? I don't recall any myself, but it has been a while since I was there. I knew a lot of folks who lived in Dallas and commuted to Denton for school, and plenty who worked in Dallas and lived in Denton, so I would imagine you could still live in Dallas if you needed to do so.

TX1911Fan: Putting in a good range in the Leander area would be better than you realize, since they are getting ready to start building a new 'extreme' sports complex there. I would bet a lot of folks coming into town to play at one would love to be able to rock and roll at the other...

csmkersh
May 4, 2008, 10:14 AM
There are at least 10 gun clubs in the DFW area. Going North to Denton or Southeast to Corsicana or Southwest to Stephenville might work better except for the problem of needing an Orthodox synagogue.

Kindrox
May 4, 2008, 10:31 PM
As far as "outside" any city limits goes there is no such place within 100 miles north of Dallas any longer. Cities have assumed just about every square inch of land all the way to the Oklahoma border pretty much, at least to Sherman/Denison. There is no land that's not in an incorporated city limit north of Dallas these days.

That's my point. To open a gun shop outside a city in the metroplex puts you out in the sticks.

quatin
May 4, 2008, 10:57 PM
When I left Austin last year, the Manor Outdoor range was closing and for sale, because the city hiked the property tax for them and the owner couldn't profit from it. It used to be a primary training ground for APD. I don't know about you, but Austin is missing outdoor ranges. I heard (Eagle Peak?) or whichever range Crazy Richard runs is also closing and up for sale.

shooter58
May 5, 2008, 10:32 AM
Serious consideration should be given to Fort Worth. Close enough to Dallas, and Tarrant County is a lot cheaper than Dallas County when it comes to property and taxes. Good gun crowd, plenty of customers. The west side or northwest side of town is pretty much wide open for that type of business. You might check into it. I wouldn't live in Dallas county on a bet.

beaucoup ammo
May 5, 2008, 11:28 AM
Don't forget the Brazos River Valley area. College Station, Bryan and some smaller communities make up one of the finest areas in the state.

You might want to check out the current situation in that neck of the woods.

Acera
May 5, 2008, 02:27 PM
Is everyone forgetting this gentleman's restrictions? He has plainly straited his requirements, and the pleading for other locations is a waste of time. If you can help, then do so, not just promote having it in you backyard because you like where you live.

ieszu
May 5, 2008, 02:48 PM
Is everyone forgetting this gentleman's restrictions? He has plainly straited his requirements, and the pleading for other locations is a waste of time. If you can help, then do so, not just promote having it in you backyard because you like where you live.

Thank you for trying to keep this on track..... and the Fort Worth comment was very much appreciated.... as an outsider to Texas, it slipped my mind about how close they are, and so that opened up new areas for me to consider.

Once again, thank you all for your help, Please keep the ideas comming.

csmkersh
May 5, 2008, 03:51 PM
as an outsider to Texas, it slipped my mind about how close they are...
Which is why we Texicans refer to it as DFW - Dallas/Fort Worth.

geophysicishooter
May 5, 2008, 06:40 PM
just throwing it out there.

Not sure if this church (http://tx002.urj.net/) meets your needs but this area sure could benefit from some good 'ol healthy competition..

TexasRifleman
May 5, 2008, 06:51 PM
Which is why we Texicans refer to it as DFW - Dallas/Fort Worth.

Depends on where you live. Around here we call it Ft Worth/Dallas :evil:

There's a local BBQ place that sells a T-Shirt says "Life's Too Short to Live In Dallas".

http://www.railheadbbq.net/

ieszu
May 5, 2008, 06:59 PM
geophysicishooter - Thanks for the link, but that is a Reform synagogue....

(The following might offend some, so understand it is just my view point, and not discriminatory, or in any way disparaging the followers of Reform)

To Orthodox Judaism they are kind of like a lapsed Catholic, except the lapsed Catholic doesn't make excuses for their behavior :evil:

And thanks for the info on Dallas/Ft. Worth or Ft. Worth/Dallas.... I spoke to a commercial broker, and I should be getting more info tomorrow on properties that are available. :D

csmkersh
May 5, 2008, 07:02 PM
I'm not a lapsed Catholic, but I'm not straight laced either. I find nothing offensive in your "daffinition." :)

TexasSkyhawk
May 5, 2008, 08:17 PM
Dallas county and city taxes might kill you anyway.

Couldn't have said it better. Then, insurance for everything is higher in Dallas and Tarrant Counties.

Go where the growth is, but where you can get more value for your dollar.

Lot of sportsmen out in Wise County and Denton County--north of Fort Worth and north of Dallas. Very conservative areas, too, with LOTS of CCL holders and plenty of disposable income. Plus, the areas are a helluva lot more business-friendly than Dallas/Tarrant counties.

Don't know anything about Houston, and there's not enough money to give me to even consider living in Austin.

Jeff

Lashlarue
May 5, 2008, 11:45 PM
I was shooting at Thunder gun range in Conroe, so so condition, no range officer the few times I've been there and then they jacked up the prices to $10 per gun. If I'm going accidently get shot, I would prefer to do it on the cheap.I'm a safe shooter, but the last time I was there had two rank amatuers who scared crap out of me. They werent kids, they were in their fifties....

beaucoup ammo
May 6, 2008, 08:18 AM
" $10 per gun." Crazy. In Texas if you charge over $3.50 per gun, you'd better have something really special going for you. As Lash pointed out, it's vital to have a range officer that assures safety at all times.

Just as an example, insight as it were for your entrance to Texas, the ranges (outside) I frequent in the San Antonio area average $3.50 per gun..$3.50 per target for handguns.

Exceptions being places like the "The Bullet Hole" where you can fire full auto all day for a price.

Hawk
May 6, 2008, 09:32 AM
PM sent. I guess if my favorite dealer isn't really serious about retiring I should leave his name off the public forum. He's one of the few people older than I am. Fuff makes a claim to that effect but I haven't seen any proof.

Good luck.

paul
May 6, 2008, 11:14 AM
Last I heard...
This indoor range in Friendswood was up for sale...
We actually looked at it a coupla years ago...

A bunch of high-end reloading equipment,
property,
range,
etc.

Was a bit more than I had to spend on something that would basically be a hobby.

Sportsman Shooting Ctr
4425 FM 2351 Rd Ste D, Friendswood, TX 77546

(281) 482-9837

Good Luck!
P

Hawk
May 6, 2008, 11:34 AM
There was a facetious post in a thread 5 or so years back proposing that the Six Flags Mall, which was hit by a sort of economic neutron bomb, be purchased and turned into a long range rifle range.

Hmmmmm

Found it:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=24365

I believe the place was still deserted the last time I went by. I keep thinking .50BMG in air conditioned comfort.

ieszu
May 6, 2008, 12:06 PM
Just wanted to let you all know, spoke to a commercial broker in DFW and Houston... waiting to hear back on what is out there....

You all think 2500 - 3000 sq. ft is large enough? :)

GEM
May 6, 2008, 12:10 PM
3000 sq ft - for a range - how long do you plan it to be? What's the square root of 3000?

Have you contacted the NRA - they have info on range building.

ieszu
May 6, 2008, 12:49 PM
No, I mean 3000 sq ft for the store area, and an office.

For a range I will need about 400 sq. ft (4x100) per lane for a 75 ft indoor range.

I am starting off with a store and gunsmith facility, with a range in a year or two.

GEM
May 6, 2008, 03:06 PM
4 lanes is kind of small. Most of the indoor ranges around here have more. It would be easier to start with more at the get go if you could get the capital.

75 foot indoor range is really just pistols - you wouldn't get the 100 yards out you see that people use for sighting in rifles that is important in the seasons in TX.

ieszu
May 6, 2008, 03:41 PM
GEM - not 4 lanes... 4 feet by 100 feet for one lane. So for 10 lanes, we are talking 40 feet by 100 feet.

The reason I am putting off the range is to see what sells, so I can figure out how many and what kind of range I need.... the larger the range, the more expensive, and the more I would have to charge to make any kind of profit.

But the size of the range isn't that important right now, or how many lanes. I am more curious as to the size of the store.... is 3000 sq. ft. good for a store?

macadore
May 6, 2008, 09:09 PM
Fort Worth is not geographically far from Dallas. Politically, itís a long way to the right.

ieszu
May 8, 2008, 03:51 PM
Just keep you all updated:

I am sorting through the layouts, seeing what will work the best... Then I come to Dallas and see those that make the cut for myself.

TX1911fan
May 8, 2008, 04:00 PM
Once all the hustle and bustle of Dallas wears you out, please come on down to the Hill Country! We need a range in Leander or Cedar Park.

Acera
May 8, 2008, 09:46 PM
Sorry ieszu, not all Texans ignore your requests.

Please don't hold the inability of some to follow directions effect your decisions, we are a pretty safe bunch and sometimes listen to others, sometimes, lol.

Let us know when you find a place, I travel to Dallas and would love to visit your future store. Now if you decide on Houston, can I get a frequent visitor card :)

jedwi
May 8, 2008, 09:53 PM
I have read your posts. But there is a great, empty gun shop in Kerrville. I t's for sale.....Dallas and Houston are about 4 hours away...

ieszu
May 8, 2008, 09:53 PM
Acera - As soon as I am open, I will let you guys know.... and I am not worried about people voicing their opinions, even if they do not fit the criteria of the topic at hand :)

csmkersh
May 8, 2008, 11:24 PM
Jed, is that the old Arrowhead Guns? He's opened one heck of a big store here in San Antonio as Texas guns. Also has a too expensive for me indoor range.

DAVIDSDIVAD
May 9, 2008, 01:04 AM
I wish someone would start a gunshop over here in the Coastal bend. :(

The Sharpshooter has everyone in a stranglehold.

primlantah
May 9, 2008, 10:32 AM
Once all the hustle and bustle of Dallas wears you out, please come on down to the Hill Country! We need a range in Leander or Cedar Park.

there is one...and im there all the time :) outdoor pistol, rifle and shotgun.

GhostRider66
May 9, 2008, 12:04 PM
Another vote for Fort Worth....best of both worlds. Big city amenities without the price and hassle. Oh and by the way, one orthodox synagogue in town...nice area too live in too. http://www.ahavathsholom.org/

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas - and questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!