Shooting a Cow! Help!

PDA

dubious
May 3, 2008, 02:34 AM
I've just agreed to drive 3 hours to slaughter a steer tomorrow. My non-gunny friend was going to shoot it, but I have better aim and butchering knowledge so I agreed to come along in exchange for a lot of grass fed happy beef. Where should I aim? My present knowledge is to aim directly between the eye and the ear. I learned this from THR and it has worked well on a couple of goats. I'm concerned, after reading about cow anatomy, that the brain is high up near the ear. I'm going to use a winchester 30-30 or a .44 mag redhawk. Please advise me soon, I'm leaving early tomorrow morning. I think I know what to do, more or less, as far as butchering.

I'm not looking forward to this, but it is exciting and scary.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting a Cow! Help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thernlund
May 3, 2008, 02:40 AM
Between and just above the eyes, a bit more straight down than 45 degrees. Or behind the ear at a 45 degree angle. That's what I'd think would be best. Basically you want to hit low-center part of the brain. Turn 'em off like a light.

Also, don't place the muzzle directly against the steer. For the handgun, have it at least 6 to 10 inches away. Might get ugly otherwise. For the 30-30, 8 to 10 feet is good I'd think.

For the record, I don't know what I'm talking about experience-wise. I just read alot.

-T.

Winchester 73
May 3, 2008, 02:47 AM
Help is on the way!Parental discretion advised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZp7F3TsbSs

We can do better than this!45/70 between the eyes is advised.Garrett Load 415 grain if available.

For the record, I don't know what I'm talking about experience-wise. I just read alot.

Cool.I'm with you.Hope we "steered" him in the right direction.

dubious
May 3, 2008, 02:48 AM
Ugggh.... :banghead:
gonna be a long day...

Ok, those distances are exactly what I would use myself. Thanks. I will take your angles into consideration.

Anyone else?

dubious
May 3, 2008, 02:51 AM
Winchester: How does that help me? I don't see where the cow is shot. That's not helpful from what I can tell...

Thernlund
May 3, 2008, 02:53 AM
Like I said, low center. Maybe even a bit back from center. You want to destroy the area where the spinal cord meets the brain, leaning more towards brain than spine.

-T.

EDIT: Be sure to let us know how it goes.

dubious
May 3, 2008, 02:59 AM
I'm thinking a side shot, by the way... a straight on shot seems less likely and more difficult.

Thernlund
May 3, 2008, 03:00 AM
I agree.

-T.

Winchester 73
May 3, 2008, 03:02 AM
Winchester: How does that help me? I don't see where the cow is shot. That's not helpful from what I can tell...

Wait.See the foliowing advice!
If no 45/70 ,30/30,30.06,whatever.
You'll come through.I shot a dozen on my granddads farm and I'm only in therapy once a month!
The head shot between the eyes.

Thernlund
May 3, 2008, 03:05 AM
I think Winchester is drunk.

-T.

Jim March
May 3, 2008, 03:06 AM
"Into the brain" somehow but...running google image search on "steer skull", the "behind the ear" shot looks too screwy due to horns :). Either through the top or right through an eyeball (splash! eww).

dubious
May 3, 2008, 03:08 AM
T.

I'm not sure what you mean by "low center". Center relative to what?

tuck2
May 3, 2008, 03:12 AM
When I was a kid on the farm dad used a 20 Ga shot gun with # 6 shot to drop steers. With the muzzle 2 feet from the head the shot would hit them a bit high between the eyes.

Winchester 73
May 3, 2008, 03:14 AM
I think Winchester is drunk

Jim Beam is drunk.
Winchester is as sober as Judge Jack Weinstein on a good night figuring out anti-gun decisions.
The rifle head shot straight on between the eyes from about 3-4 yards will kill the cow instantly.
Trust me.Don't be dubious.:D
Wear some protective clothing for the splatter.

Cosmoline
May 3, 2008, 03:17 AM
Tuck, that's also how I remember it being done. This isn't hunting. If you bring too much gun you're liable to have a bullet zipping around where you don't want it. Also you'll have to stand so far back you may just mangle the head, which is pretty nasty. I suggest the light shotgun at close range.

Thernlund
May 3, 2008, 03:19 AM
Here. Try this instead.

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Livestock_ID/Euthanasia.html

-T.

dubious
May 3, 2008, 03:22 AM
Cosmo, I much appreciate your advice, but please know that I will have a safe backdrop ALWAYS. I'm a safety nerd. I have held back many a shot at deer because I didn't have a safe backdrop... even with a bow.

Also, if I use my redhawk I'm trying to decide between JHP, which did not fully penetrate a living goat skull, and 310gr hardcast... which I've never shot at an animal before.

Here's my .44 recipes:

Paladin:
240gr JHP or FMJ Titegroup 9gr (.76cc) 1219fps

Grizzly:
310 GR Trueshot HRD CAST H110 18.0gr (1.18cc) 1266fps

Creampuff:
210gr BearCreek LSWC Unique 7gr (.76cc)

Thernlund
May 3, 2008, 03:25 AM
This is good too.

http://www.aabp.org/resources/euth.pdf

-T.

p2000sk
May 3, 2008, 03:28 AM
Ever see the movie "Napolean Dynamite"?

Winchester 73
May 3, 2008, 03:29 AM
Here. Try this instead

Those extra 3 hours from Phoenix have given you a slight tactical advantage.
But I still am dubious about dubious doing anything but the tried and true head on shot between the eyes from easy 1st down yardage(3-4).
With enough gun ,.243 or better to me,he's home free.

dubious
May 3, 2008, 03:31 AM
Yikes... that pamphlet recommends NOT shooting the brain (but instead the jugular or trachea) and using a 9mm. I have a 9mm, but I think I'll stick to my .44 mag (or 30/30) thanks.

bogie
May 3, 2008, 03:31 AM
Big-ass sword, about 2 vertebrae down from the skull...

Or drop a .30-30 just above those soulful eyes...

Or put 'em in a squeeze cage, and use a 10 pound sledge. That's cheapest.

I grew up on a farm.

The adults were worried when us kids started feeding The Steer.

We made sure he was happy. Lots of special food. Lots of grain. Sugar and apples and all sorts of stuff.

We named him T-Bone.

We were kids, but we weren't idiots.

dubious
May 3, 2008, 03:32 AM

Yeah it's kinda like that, but I'm not a wuss.

squeeze cage

This steer has the honor of gettin capped by me... i.e. NOT going in a squeeze cage, and never experiencing that slaughterhouse BS. Hopefully it won't kick me to death.

Thernlund
May 3, 2008, 03:34 AM
I wasn't suggesting he use a .22 or a 9mm like the articles suggest. I figure the .44 with the shot placement and other advice from the articles will do the trick.

Or... you could use a Barrett .50 from 10 yards and completely annihilate its skull. It'd never feel a thing.

-T.

Tyris
May 3, 2008, 03:34 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_heart_shot

I couldn't resist! :evil:

-T

Thernlund
May 3, 2008, 03:37 AM
Yikes... that pamphlet recommends NOT shooting the brain (but instead the jugular or trachea)...

Eh? It says to shoot between high between the eyes, through the brain and down the neck.

In fact, pretty much everything I found says just about the same thing. Google for "cattle gunshot euthanasia".

-T.

Winchester 73
May 3, 2008, 03:38 AM
Grizzly:

If you use the .44, this is your load,dubious.
Adios,vaca.
Buenas Noches,Amigos.

loneviking
May 3, 2008, 05:43 AM
My God! Are you guys trying to kill the cow or use it for target practice? I've been in on this many times, and unless you're dealing with a dangerous bull, a 22 magnum does the trick nicely. Facing the cow about 25 feet out, shoot it between and just slightly above the level of the eyes. The cow will go down, often kicking a bit but that's just reflex. As soon as you can, get in there and slit it's throat to bleed it. You'll need to have rigged up a block and tackle to hoist the cow up for ease of butchering. As a kid, I used to think the stomachs were neat as they looked like big, white lozenges! Don't forget to save the tongue as it's good boiled in salt water.

Jdude
May 3, 2008, 06:23 AM
My God! Are you guys trying to kill the cow or use it for target practice? I've been in on this many times, and unless you're dealing with a dangerous bull, a 22 magnum does the trick nicely.
Cows are pretty big dude. More power to you if that works. Personally, I'd plug him with a 12 ga. slug into the base of the brain from above. Last thing I want to do is piss something off that much bigger than me. Then again, I don't know all that much about the critters.

vis-ŗ-vis
May 3, 2008, 06:43 AM
No, no Winchester 73. This is the proper way to shoot a cow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVLyZblo_6w&NR=1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVLyZblo_6w&NR=1)

hceptj
May 3, 2008, 06:55 AM
grandpa and dad used a .22LR to slaughter cows on the farm all the time...straight on, right between the eyes, from a foot or so away...they dropped straight down every time...

...either of what your planning will work fine...

Geno
May 3, 2008, 06:57 AM
This has to be among the oddest threads I've seen yet...rather like the three blind men describing the elephant. :neener: Has anyone here actually shot a cow?

When I worked in the butcher shop, the butcher used a spring-actuated pistol that "fired" an oblong magnet. He placed the pistol against the cow's forehead, between the eyes, but up about 1". Many times the "projectile" would bounch off.

I would not press a power-charged firearm against the cow's forehead...unless you want to take a shower of cerebrial matter and blood! The muzzle blast will do that!

When the butcher did make a proper impact, the cow would drop immediately. Given these critters aren't exactly light, I'd be sure to stand away from it when it falls.

Now, I can't resist...where's the beef?!

cracked butt
May 3, 2008, 07:29 AM
I've been in on this many times, and unless you're dealing with a dangerous bull, a 22 magnum does the trick nicely. Facing the cow about 25 feet out, shoot it between and just slightly above the level of the eyes. The cow will go down, often kicking a bit but that's just reflex.

We used to do it the same way with hogs, except with a .22 pistol at a range of about 1'.

Horsesense
May 3, 2008, 09:20 AM
I have killed hundreds of cows. I worked at a slaughter house and we used a .22 between the eyes and about an inch and a half up, the brain is pretty big and hard to miss.

Sometimes, about 1 in 100, the .22 would find the spinal cord and exit the tail. If I were doing it in a place where they could run off, if you make a bad shot, not likely, I would use something bigger, I did it with a .357 out in a field once at about 10 feet.

Why not use the biggest gun you got and take pictures? I would like to see how it works out.

fixyurgun
May 3, 2008, 09:22 AM
+1 on the 22mag . 20 to 25 foot. between the eyes a little high. Jim

alemonkey
May 3, 2008, 09:24 AM
Growing up on the farm we used either a 22LR between the eyes or a sledgehammer to the head. That was while they were in a squeeze chute.

TexasRifleman
May 3, 2008, 09:31 AM
My grandad always used a .22LR between the eyes and a little up. We did it once every year.

I'm cracking up at some of the rounds suggested LOL.

Can't believe no one has offered .50BMG from 500 yards as an option yet....:rolleyes:

Blackbeard
May 3, 2008, 09:34 AM
Also remember to be aware of what is on the other side of the cow. Don't have your buddy over there holding the reins.

mcmoyer
May 3, 2008, 09:40 AM
My grandad always used a .22LR between the eyes and a little up. We did it once every year.

I'm cracking up at some of the rounds suggested LOL.

We used the same method...always worked like a champ. Some of the other suggestions are great for comic relief though.

:D

neviander
May 3, 2008, 09:44 AM
lol, I know it's a comedy, but I always wondered why the guy did it in a field next to the highway, far and away from any sort of building or equipment...the screaming onlooking kids always makes me laugh.

Dravur
May 3, 2008, 09:50 AM
Its a freaking cow.... We used a .22 and it worked. You might as well nuke the cow from orbit...

And with the .22 you dont get as big of a splatter fest.

Sheesh, a .45-70??? this isn't a buffalo at 1000 yards.......

Don't have your buddy over there holding the reins

Reins? what the heck are you doing shooting your horse?

ozarkhillbilly
May 3, 2008, 09:50 AM
Another for a .22lr, thats how both my grandparents did it. Dad once used a .38spl not sure why but it seemed to work just as well.

ctdonath
May 3, 2008, 09:53 AM
Been there, done that, it dropped like I'd turned off it's switch.

Google (if you're reading this, you can find the info you need) the anatomy of a cow's head. The brain isn't quite where you think it is. Pop a round into there thru the most direct (i.e.: least intervening skull) route thru the brain. Done right, it will just drop. (I actually missed the brain, but was close enough for total hemorrhaging.)

It's a standard part of Ayoob's LFI-IV class.

akanotken
May 3, 2008, 09:58 AM
It's easier and cheaper to:

hold it by it's back legs, stretch out it's neck on the ground, put a rake handle accross it's neck, standing on either end, pull the legs and the head pops off. Then you have a hold of the decapitated beast and can hold it up and let it bleed out without flopping all over and getting dirty. Easy as pie.

Oh, wait, that was for a chicken. Hmmm, we always took ours to a slaughter house and paid for thier services with a little beef ...

But in theory, the chicken method could work?

savetheclaypigeons
May 3, 2008, 10:04 AM
Don't forget your rain coat!

... I clicked on this thread to read all of the ex-wife jokes. Very disappointed in the lack of them.

buck460XVR
May 3, 2008, 10:08 AM
heh-heh, some funny stuff here. We always used a .22 at close range too. If you're gonna shoot em at a distance with anything bigger, make sure they got their head up.....there's lots of good meat back there if you miss or get pass thru.

alsaqr
May 3, 2008, 10:08 AM
"My grandad always used a .22LR between the eyes and a little up. We did it once every year."

Grew up in rural WV. At butchering time every year, folks got together and helped butcher hogs and cattle. Dad was the designated shooter. He used his faithful Winchester model 60A single shot .22 and solid point long rifle ammo. Never saw him shoot a hog or cow twice.

bhk
May 3, 2008, 10:11 AM
My wife and I rented a house on a cattle farm for several years. The owners would always dispatch cattle that were to be personally butchered with a .22, shot head on into the forehead. They were very careful with shot placement, sometimes taking 5 or 10 minutes for the perfect shot. The steers always dropped like a sack of potatoes. I was always amazed at this.

Bigjake
May 3, 2008, 10:17 AM
A sledge is ideal. .22 to the forehead is fine too if yer squeamish.

There is such thing as Too Much Gun in more than a few of the replies here...

I've heard of the light shotgun to the head technique, but never seen it done.

Geronimo45
May 3, 2008, 10:23 AM
It's a standard part of Ayoob's LFI-IV class.
It is? Why?
Did Mas see this video? :p
http://www.cowswithguns.com/cowmovie.html

Rovi
May 3, 2008, 10:25 AM
Another vote for the .22LR.
I've dispatched a fair few cattle over the years, and a properly placed .22 will drop them like you cut the strings on a puppet.
The diagram on this previously posted page (http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Livestock_ID/Euthanasia.html) shows the correct shot placement as described and demonstrated to me by my veterinarian, and I've never had any reason to doubt its effectiveness.
As is stated there, perpendicular to the skull and aligned down the spine. You'll probably have to wait for the animal to angle its head correctly for these conditions to occur, so be patient.

Mr_Rogers
May 3, 2008, 10:32 AM
From experience, the 22LR works fine if you put the bullet in the right place. If you don't know where the brain is you can empty a 357 magnum and the cow will be down but still alive.

If you look in Greener's book "The Gun and its Development" you will see that company made a snazzy little cow-killer device. It was like a specially shaped little bell that fired a 22 cartridge from a short barrel in it's center. The open end of the bell was shaped so that it fitted to the cow's head and automatically lined up the 22 barrel with the cows brain. Hold the bell against the cow's head and tap the firing pin with a hammer, job done - no splatter..:eek::eek:

oldfart
May 3, 2008, 10:33 AM
I suppose by now the cow is already strung up to a stout tree limb but just in case....

As a kid (before WWII) we butchered our own cattle, hogs, etc. All we had was a .22 and it worked perfectly well. I can't imagine why you'd need a 45-70 or a .44 Mag but they'd defiinitely work. Wear a raincoat and goggles if you go that big. As to where to aim-- Well, imagine a line connecting the ears and another connecting it to a point between the eyes. That last line is the best path of the bullet.

macadore
May 3, 2008, 10:46 AM
Growing up on the farm we used either a 22LR between the eyes or a sledgehammer to the head. That was while they were in a squeeze chute.

I have seen it done both ways and either works well. I donít know if this kills them or just stuns them. Be sure to have a sharp knife to cut the throat as soon as it hits the ground. You donít want one waking up in an agitated mood while you are within reach.

papajohn
May 3, 2008, 11:00 AM
My Dad used to go up to his uncle's farm every fall for the slaughter, he said they used a .22 rifle from above, straight down in the center of the forehead.

I've seen a lot of skulls from butchered cows, all with a small hole in the center, usually of small caliber. A 32 ACP might be about perfect, if you don't have any faith in a 22.

PJ

dawgtraxx
May 3, 2008, 11:06 AM
"Me,Myself ,and Irene" keeps coming to mind....I don't know why

brickeyee
May 3, 2008, 11:20 AM
Cows & pigs do just fine with a .22 LR if you do not have access to a captive bolt.
As long as you can get the bullet down into the brain stem (aim through the head for the the spine) they go down instantly.
Anything larger risks meat damage if it exits the skull.

B.A.M.F
May 3, 2008, 11:26 AM
Dubious, I work as a custom slaughter man. The gun i use is a 30-30 great gun for putting down beef. Draw a line in between the eyes and opposite ears. Then aim for that specific point. remember aim small miss small. should dtk.

Big Daddy K
May 3, 2008, 11:27 AM
Whos gonna hold the head still???

GeezerwithGuns
May 3, 2008, 11:40 AM
My father grew up on a fur farm in Canada (foxes and later mink). One of the sources of food for the foxes was broken down draft horses. My father's "job" was to dispatch the animals humanely. They had a special "killing gun" which was a single shot .38 caliber device who's muzzle was equipped with a cone shaped fixture that positioned the barrel between the animal's eyes. He used low power wad cutters for ammo. He said death was immediate. I would think that a cow would be similar. You don't need a magnum to do the do the job.

m14nut
May 3, 2008, 11:53 AM
so???????????????

After three friggin pages of ideas, do we have steaks yet????:banghead:

not even a lousy roast beef sammich?????:evil:

zxcvbob
May 3, 2008, 12:06 PM
From a veterinary web site I read a while back: Draw an imaginary X from the eyes to the ears. Aim just-to-the-side of where the line intersect on the forehead (off-center a little because the skull is thicker down the middle) and angle the shot towards the spine so you take out the brain stem.

This information was for a horse, dog, sheep, or goat. I don't know why a steer would be any different.

I'd probably use a .38 Special with a heavy bullet.

mbt2001
May 3, 2008, 12:08 PM
A .22LR right to the back of the head where the spinal column meets the brain... One shot, one dead cow. Enjoy the Brisket!

Or, Behind the ear, about 25% off straight, with the tilt toward the "face" of the cow.

Of course, you could also just get in front of it, and grin it to death Davy Crocket style.

Use these for references:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/pullnshoot25/biology/BEEFSKEL.gif

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/Cow_anatomy.jpg/769px-Cow_anatomy.jpg

http://www.exchange3d.com/cubecart/images/uploads/aff70/cow_anatomy/cow_anatall00.jpg

stevelyn
May 3, 2008, 12:54 PM
Slightly below and forward of the ear.

jayhawkfan
May 3, 2008, 12:58 PM
You're talking about a lot of gun to kill a cow at close range. All of the calibers you mentioned should work. I grew up on a Kansas ranch. We sacrificed may steers using only a .22lr shooting center of forehead just above the eyes. The attachment to post #18 provides good instructions for where to shoot. Enjoy the beef!

langenc
May 3, 2008, 01:12 PM
between the ears and couple inches toward the tail. Angle bullet in towards the middle of the tongue. That was how we did it at the slaughter house. However, we were on a platform above the critter.

Tyris
May 3, 2008, 02:22 PM
I've heard that somewhere in viet-nam tourists were shooting cows with rocket launchers for $200.

Edit: I stand corrected, it was cambodia:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/aldo80/rtw_2005/1155469560/tpod.html

Awesome.

-T

Winchester 73
May 3, 2008, 02:38 PM
Hopefully it's out of its misery by now and dubious will report back to us with the results ,and which gun and load was eventually used.
That was a lot of fun.:)

m14nut
May 3, 2008, 03:03 PM
not even a hamburger......:cuss:

sm
May 3, 2008, 03:07 PM
mbt2001,

Thank you for posting pics.

We do as mbt2001 suggested.

Last time we used my 1929 Colt Detective Special and his old S&W Model 36.
Load: UMC standard pressure 158 LRN.

One shot , one downed critter.

I /we shoot high b/t eyes.
Sometimes folks use the ear, or from atop at the spine, (in the chute).

Snub nosed .38spls are easy to tote, do not get in the way of working around big critters, and are proven.
Single shot .22 rifle is also used quite a bit.

Sorry if I offended the armchair end of the world folks...that say one needs to have a 30 rd mag of death ray exotics...

bogie
May 3, 2008, 03:08 PM
Bogie want BRUNCH! Go gitcherself a PIG!

punchdrunk
May 3, 2008, 03:21 PM
I once put a deer down by head shooting at about 2 yards with a 30-06. It rained blood and brains and other stuff on me. Entire top of the skull exploded. The shower was not very nice. I recommend not too much gun or too close.

paintballdude902
May 3, 2008, 03:21 PM
i believe that they used a .22lr in the slaughter houses

put it right between the eyes

xjchief
May 3, 2008, 03:25 PM
Sigh, the thread ends and nobody suggested a RPG and no debate if a 9mm would do the job or if it required a 45. (We did get the 50 cal mentioned a few times though so it's not a total loss).

:evil:

sixgunner455
May 3, 2008, 03:41 PM
The only critter I've had to do this kind of thing on was a deer. 124 gr hollow point from the KelTec 9mm I had in the car at the time was more than plenty. Positioned myself so that a pass-through would go into the dirt. Good thing I did, too, because it went right on through. .22 would have been plenty.

Smokewagon45
May 3, 2008, 03:42 PM
In the ear. .32 or bigger.

Rachen
May 3, 2008, 04:00 PM
I would say the brain.

And not through the skull, but through the ear.

BUT I WOULD DO IT STANDING BEHIND THE COW'S HEAD, SO WHEN THE PROJECTILE ENTERS THE BRAIN, IT WOULD TRAVEL TOWARDS THE FRONT OF THE HEAD, INSTEAD OF BACWARDS, ENTERING THE NECK, AND POSSIBLE BRINGING BITS AND FRAGMENTS OF THE BRAIN INTO THE BODY. WE HAVE ALL HEARD ABOUT SPONGIFORM ILLNESSES, AND EVEN IF THE ANIMAL IS HEALTHY, EATING BRAIN MATTER FROM ANYTHING IS NOT GOOD. IT IS A SAFETY PRECAUTION, WE SHOULD ALL FOLLOW, AND DUBIOUS, I THINK YOU SHOULD TAKE THIS INTO ACCOUNT BEFORE YOU GO AHEAD AND SLAUGHTER IT.

It immediately puts the cow down and greatly reduces the chance of pain or unnecessary suffering. I read the "emergency euthanasia" site too, and it makes great sense, although the part about shooting into the skull is kind of tricky, especially with how rounds fired from a gun is unpredictable as to what it would do to the target. It is better to aim at the lower brain, right behind the ear of the animal.

Shots to the respiratory or cardiac areas will also be sufficient to humanely put down the animal, as hunters, especially ones using muzzleloaders, always aim for the section where the shoulders and ribs are.

HOWEVER, with a hollow point you wouldn't want to do that, since you are eating it afterwards, you wouldn't want fragments of the ribs to be imbedded into the meat.

Red Tornado
May 3, 2008, 04:06 PM
C'mon, be a man! bogie had it on the first page...
Big-ass sword, about 2 vertebrae down from the skull...

I'm sure we've all seen Apocalypse Now. There's a great demonstration near the end. Do it that way and post it on the Youtube. We'll all be grateful. :evil:
RT

Vaarok
May 3, 2008, 04:08 PM
My vet-med courses at college always said draw an X between the eyes and ears, and aim for the center with a .22 rifle from about a foot away, same as the pamphlets say to do.

I've never had to shoot a cow twice. Admittely, I'm a dairyfarmer, and we do try to avoid having to put any down, but when it's necessary, you do it quick and clean.

By aiming center of the forehead, you hit the weakest point in the skull and punch into the central artery for the brain.

The only exception to using a .22 is for really big steers and the buffalo a local hobby farmer sometimes has butchered at the local slaughterhouse. They typically use a .22 Magnum or a 9mm out of a Hi-point.

Cannonball888
May 3, 2008, 04:34 PM
http://www.raphaelk.co.uk/web%20pics/Colombia/second/bulls/sword.jpg

or

http://filmhirek.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/nocountry.jpg

Cosmoline
May 3, 2008, 04:34 PM
Grizzly:

The hardcast heavy? This guy *IS* drunk. Don't do this, under any circumstances. It's idiotic advice. That load will go through multiple trees.

Rachen
May 3, 2008, 04:38 PM
Hey Cannonball888, the thing the guy is holding in the last pic was orginally meant for slaughtering cows:) However, he is very creative with objects:evil:, if you know what I mean. That movie was awesome by the way. I am going to get a copy when the DVD comes out.
Cormac McCarthy just completely OWNS the literary world.

akodo
May 3, 2008, 04:45 PM
as a kid I've seen it done. The trick is to NOT shoot directly between the eyes but up a little bit. I've seen seen more than a few cows put down with a .22LR in this spot after a tornado went through and the animals were suffering.

I also had a sunday school teacher who worked at the local meat processors to suppliment his farm income. He always told a story about someone bringing in a real wild mean steer to eat, so wild jumped over one of the gates. They got it corralled someplace and were going to shoot it and drag it in. One guy got a rifle and shot it a few times between the eyes to no effect. He thought he was missing. He was then told to aim about 3 inches above that spot, and it went down right away. 3 bullets were found in the skull right between the eyes. As for what rifle "I don't know, probably a 30-30 or something" so it could have been anything.

"Gunshot: The firearm should be held 2-10 inches from the intended point of impact, and
the bullet should be directed perpendicular to the front of the skull to prevent ricochet. The
point of entry should be at the intersection of two imaginary lines, each drawn from the inside
corner of the eye to the base of the opposite horn (slightly above the ear in polled animals).
A .22 caliber long rifle bullet is sufficient for most animals, but a .22 magnum or 9mm round
should be used on bulls. Use of a hollow-point or soft-nose bullet increases tissue destruction.
If performed skillfully, gunshot induces instantaneous unconsciousness, is inexpensive and
does not require close contact with the animal.
This method should only be attempted by individuals trained in the use of firearms and who
understand the potential for ricochet. Care must be taken to minimize danger to the operator,
to bystanders, and to other animals. In addition, since some cities have laws prohibiting the
discharge of firearms in certain areas, the operator should be aware of local ordinances that
may apply."

W.E.G.
May 3, 2008, 04:53 PM
I think you need the following:
knife
bare feet
dirty attire
public square
lots of onlookers
two car alarms
garden hose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w5ysoDboIE

edited to add:
large squeegee

Winchester 73
May 3, 2008, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Grizzly:

The hardcast heavy? This guy *IS* drunk. Don't do this, under any circumstances. It's idiotic advice. That load will go through multiple trees.

Don't you recognize satire when it hits you over the head,Cosmoline?
I'm sure dubious did and came out of his experience smelling like a rose(and not Cosmoline:neener:)

Faret
May 3, 2008, 06:31 PM
just imagine a x crossed from one ear to one eye and the same for the other eye and ear. Put the bullet where the lines cross I use a .22 buckmark pistol at 20 feet. Have shot a dozen cows this way. They drop like you droped them from a building then just cut the trought and let them bleed out.

BlazingAngel01
May 3, 2008, 07:01 PM
flamethrower Cook and kill all at once.

kermit315
May 3, 2008, 11:06 PM
any updates? how did it go?

Brenainn
May 3, 2008, 11:20 PM
This is pretty entertaining!

Fred Fuller
May 3, 2008, 11:31 PM
Asked- and answered...

lpl/nc

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting a Cow! Help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!