J.P.Sauer & Sohn. Western Marshal.44

PDA

jumpnjoe
May 3, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hello all, I'm a new member, just joined today the 3rd of May.
I have a question about a like new J.P.S.& S. .44, may have never been shot, that a friend wants $400 for, any info on weather this would be a good buy, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jumpnjoe

If you enjoyed reading about "J.P.Sauer & Sohn. Western Marshal.44" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dismantler
May 3, 2008, 02:53 PM
From what I could tell, this is something that is made by Sig Sauer. I think that you may get a better idea of value from a Cowboy Action Shooting site. www.thefiringline.com has a CAS forum. Those people have a better handle on single action values.

robsc
May 3, 2008, 04:03 PM
I had a Sauer&Sohn Western Marshall .357mag. Made in Germany. It was about $80.00 when I bought it new 1969. Blued, 7 3/8inch barrel, beautiful smooth rosewood grips. The price on them has increased because of their excellent quality. Yea $400 is good price if it is truely UNFIRED. If it is UNFIRED, the seller is making some nice bucks on it because he`s had it awhile. If it has changed hands before the present seller has it, I doubt that it`s truely UNFIRED. Look at the finish very closely all over with a magnifying glass to detect any relueing. Offer what you think it`s worth and be serious.

owlhoot
May 3, 2008, 06:22 PM
That particular revolver is a bit larger than the Colt. It is closer to the size of a Ruger Vaquero. You can get a used Ruger Vaq. for about the same money.

Parts may eventually be a problem. I doubt that the Colt and Clone parts will fit. Of course nothing is likely to break other than the hand spring and trigger/bolt spring.

This gun has zero collector value so whether it is fired or unfired is really a moot point.

In my estimation the price is a little high.

This gun evolved into the EAA Bounty Hunter series which is still available, and a new one can often be found for a little less than your friend is asking. I'd offer him $325. If you really like the gun, meet him half way at $350.

Dismantler
May 3, 2008, 06:44 PM
You did not ask for any advice except price...but is this a well thought out purchase? Do you really want a single action .44 caliber revolver, or did your friend just offer it to you and it looked good?

There are a lot of different revolvers in different calibers and sometimes a double action revolver is more practical. A .44 caliber single action would not be my first choice for self defense, home protection, or fun shooting. (They're fun, but ammo is expensive.)

My first choice for fun shooting would be a .22, as the ammo is inexpensive, and I want to shoot a lot. My choice for defense would be a .357 magnum or .38 special loaded with appropriate ammo.

bannockburn
May 3, 2008, 07:10 PM
jumpnjoe

Hawes Firearms, out of California, imported the J.P. Sauer and Son single action revolvers from the early 60's to the late 70's. The frames were slightly larger so that the .44 Magnum chambering could be offered in most models. There was the Federal Marshall, Silver City Marshall, Western Marshall, Texas Marshall, and the Montana Marshall; the only differences being the finish, grip material, and backstrap construction. Barrel length for all the centerfire models was 6 inches. They also offered several combination models, with dual cylinders for the .357Magnum/9mm., .45LC/.45ACP, and the .44Magnum/.44-40 guns. Prices in 1978 ranged from $133.95 to $203.75. There was also the Chief Marshall, which was essentailly the Western Marshall with adjustable sights, supposedly being built on an extra heavy frame. Sauer also made a line of near full size .22LR/.22Magnum guns in much the same configuration as the centerfire models; these were called the Deputy Marshall revolvers. Essentially these were made out of some alloy material, possibly aluminum or zinc, with steel sleeve inserts in the cylinder, and a rifled steel insert in the barrel. These were priced from $59.95 to $90.60.

Ron James
May 3, 2008, 07:47 PM
The 2008 Standard Catalog of Firearms list the Western Marshall at 175 in excellent condition. The 26th Edition of the Blue book give a general value of 175 to 275. Modern gun values lists it at 200 in Exc condition. I believe 400 is at least 150 over priced. Me myself and I would not pay over 250, new in the box unfired ( and if you believe that I've some swamp land in Florida for sale). Also the firearm is made by JP Sauer and Sons, Sig had no part of it. There's no collectors value and I've seen a lot of posts on another forum of folks looking for parts. However, your money, your decision. Good Luck

Roadkill
May 3, 2008, 08:21 PM
I've got one -.44 mag. Its shows finish wear but its timing and lock up are perfect. I load mostly .44 sp for it because the .44 magnums are just too much for me to mess with. Accuracy is very good. Its a big gun. Fun to shoot. I got it for $250 a couple of years back. Again, it has finish wear on frame but functions very well.

Moonclip
May 3, 2008, 08:55 PM
Decent gun, but too high. For $400 I'd look for a used Ruger. I don't think SIG had anything to do with this Sauer. My friend has one, he likes it as did an old family friend many years ago. I have an EAA Bounty Hunter .45lc I'm pleased with.

huntershooter
May 4, 2008, 09:46 AM
Be advised that this revolver should br carried with an empty chamber under the hammer-making it a "5 shooter".
There is no transfer bar safety.

If you enjoyed reading about "J.P.Sauer & Sohn. Western Marshal.44" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!