Micro Band Bullets

PDA

357mag357
May 4, 2008, 10:31 AM
Do I need to size Micro Band Bullets or is the whole purpose of these bullets is that it eliminate that step? So once I cast them I then tumble with LEE LIQUID ALOX let dry then load. Seems to good to be true.

If you enjoyed reading about "Micro Band Bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
snuffy
May 4, 2008, 10:40 AM
Did you measure them with either a micrometer or accurate calipers? IF they are .001- .002 over your barrels bore size, then you're good to go as-cast,(after lubing with LLA). Have you slugged your bore? If not then there's no way to know if those boolits will shoot well.

Too little info in your ?, post more about what boolit/caliber.

TexasSkyhawk
May 4, 2008, 11:30 AM
I have a really good .358 TL158SWC mould from Lee that makes superb boolits. I've experimented with sizing/not-sizing.

What I've found works best for me is to cut the LLA about 50-50 with mineral spirits, then do a light lube on the cast boolits. Let dry, then size, then lube again.

I get superb, consistently tight groups out of all my .357 handguns with this boolit. When I don't size, my groups aren't as consistent.

Jeff

GooseGestapo
May 4, 2008, 02:46 PM
Yes, that's the reason for the micro-band bullets.
But, you can also do it with NON-microband bullets.

I frequently lube and "don't size" the bullets for my .40S&W and .45acp.

The Lee .401-180gr TC bullet mould casts at .402" and is perfect in my G-22 over 4.0g of Bullseye. This is the most accurate load I've tried through this particular pistol, as likewise another older G22 I had (issued dept. firearms).

Likewise the .452-200SWC Lee mould (copy of H&G#68) shoots equally well as the sized and lubed ones over 4.0gr-4.7gr of Clays, or 5.4-6.2gr of Universal from my two Springfield Armory .45's (one a M1911, the other an XD-tactical).

The only time I've seen it neccessary to size the TL-bullets is with the 148gr WC's in some Winchester brass. The mil-spec Winchester brass is sufficiently thick that it won't chamber in some guns if the bullets aren't sized to .358" (mine throws bullets at .360"-.361").

I typically use Rem-Peters, or UMC brass for my wadcutter and semi-wadcutter loads and never have a problem with them fitting the cylinder of my competiton (NRA- PPC) revolvers. A friend who uses W-W headstamped brass needs his bullets sized, however......

Like TexasSkyhawk above, I too "cut" my Tumble-lube with about 25% Mineral Spirits to get a more even coating and make it go a bit further.
(I used to own a Cessna Skyhawk, too! But only once flew it to Texas....)

357mag357
May 4, 2008, 05:43 PM
Thank you for all the info.

Snuffy,
Please tell me about slugging the barrel. I have a general idea of what it is however can't find the materials to perform it.

Galil5.56
May 4, 2008, 06:17 PM
I like the micro band bullets pretty well, and use them in 9mm (124 TC) and 45 auto (200 grain SWC). Usually use the 200 grainers unsized, which for me means .453-.454" depending on alloy, and will play around with sizing on the 9's to .357" and .358", and will shoot them as cast (.359"-.360") in my 38 special and even in some 9mm pistols. If the loaded round will chamber easily, it is my experience that the diameter will work and larger is always better in my experience.

Shown are 9mm rounds using this bullet and this bullet (excuse the nose wrinkle :) ) pre and post lubed. Sized .357"/.358" makes a nice bulge around the case, with lots of beneficial neck tension. All that is needed is a very slight taper crimp to assure perfect functioning. One tip is to make sure you cast the bullets hard enough, as the sharp internal taper of the 9mm case will swage the bullet down if too soft, and you will get keyholes/terrible accuracy. Water quenching wheel weight metal works just peachy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Abucaster/IMG_7628.jpg

Loaded with 4-4.5 grains of Unique, or 4.2 grains of WW 231 makes for accurate, economical and enjoyable shooting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Micro Band Bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!