Springfield Model 187 Series A .22

PDA

Master of Arms
May 4, 2008, 10:34 PM
I have a Springfield model 187 that belonged to my dad. I would like to try to "fix it up" a little but I`m lost as to where to find the appropriate parts. I`ve found a few stock parts but I`d like to have a better trigger installed or find an adjustable trigger. I don`t have any trustworthy gunsmiths in my area to do any trigger work on the original. I can probably replace the trigger assembly but I can`t find any that are compatible. Has anyone got any info on my problem. Any and all info that is related to the model and type rifle would be greatly appreciated. I think that the rifle is capable of firing shorts and long rifles but I`m not sure. Thanks in advance.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield Model 187 Series A .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Master of Arms
May 5, 2008, 12:18 AM
Guess I`m alone with this one.

JohnBT
May 5, 2008, 09:24 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that model has always had a reputation for not feeding properly. As far as the trigger goes, the vast majority of autoloaders have mediocre triggers that can't be improved much, if at all. I understand your desire to fix it up, but I wouldn't spend a lot on it.

I'm not at all certain about which Savage/Stevens/Springfield guns have parts that will interchange with the 187.

John

JohnBT
May 5, 2008, 09:30 AM
This is probably the best place for parts. If what you need is out of stock just keep checking the site, or call.

www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=089Zz187%20SERIES%20A

USSR
May 5, 2008, 10:46 AM
MoA,

The 87 series of rifle were produced for many, many years under the Springfield, Stevens, and Savage name, as well as many other house brand names. I have a pre-war 87A model, and they are very accurate rifles as far as autoloaders go. Forget about getting a trigger other than OEM. Just get it in shootable shape and enjoy it.

Don

Master of Arms
May 5, 2008, 02:08 PM
I removed the trigger assembly and sanded the two pods down 1/10" equally and it made a world of difference. Still a little on the heavy side but much quicker release. Haven`t had any problem with the feeding, ever.

USSR
May 5, 2008, 04:10 PM
Haven`t had any problem with the feeding, ever.

Me either.

Don

Master of Arms
May 5, 2008, 09:32 PM
Hey ussr, how long have you had yours? The only other problem that I`m having is that it sometimes doesn`t cock the firing pin after an ejection. I`ve tried adjusting the length of draw by adjusting the screw at the back of the reciever but I can`t seem to get it just right because if you go to far in with it, it won`t eject properly and too far out, its a real mess. Got any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield Model 187 Series A .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!