Where to find the elusive Ranger ammunition

PDA

Snowdog
August 17, 2003, 02:43 AM
I've decided to assault some Playdough with some of the much venerated 127gr +P+ 9mm Winchester Ranger, and perhaps adopt it for my carry K9.

After a quick search here, and a search using Dogpile, I can't find a source.

Of course one could buy some off Auction Arms, Guns America, et al, but the mark-up is unacceptable.
Where can I find this ammunition for under $30 a box/50?

If you enjoyed reading about "Where to find the elusive Ranger ammunition" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PCRCCW
August 17, 2003, 09:21 AM
It sells for damn near that locally in SLC. A local store has CASES of it and of course "they have hardly any mark up in it at all"...:rolleyes:

Its one of the best, if not the best round in the caliber. It may be worth it...
I shoot alot of Corbon and other top +P loads which are in line with the price of the Winchester 9mm. It just depends on you personal situation.

Look around and if you cant find it cheaper, its worth buying a box just to see if your gun likes it and if its accurate. Go from there.

Shoot well

Sean Smith
August 17, 2003, 09:43 AM
You used to be able to buy Winchester 127gr +P+ from Botach Tactical for about $15/50.

Blueduck
August 17, 2003, 05:31 PM
I've bought all mine from a fella on Glocktalk. Never a problem, if you search on his name "5532jwk" you will find a lot of positive feedback. $19+actual shipping a box for the 127+P+ last time I bought.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=174247

JeepDriver
August 17, 2003, 06:30 PM
I bought mine from Pro Loads. 127+P+ for $19.50 a box, only down side was a $60 minium order. ;)

4Truck
August 17, 2003, 06:41 PM
I bought mine from a local gunshop for IIRC $16 per box of 50. They still have plenty of it in stock.

Snowdog
August 17, 2003, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I had tried Botach Tactical and hadn't any success finding the ammunition there.

I believe I'll go the route Blueduck offered. Thanks for the link! I'll send him an email tomorrow.

Red Rook
August 17, 2003, 11:42 PM
I can vouch for Jerry from Glocktalk. He's topnotch. I just received two boxes of RA9TA from him.

WonderNine
August 18, 2003, 12:03 AM
It's the best. But, DO NOT pay more than $18-20 a box. There's plenty out there.

fastbolt
August 18, 2003, 01:57 AM
Well, it depends on whether you can find it for the "right" price ... in sufficient quantity to test it for function and accuracy in YOUR weapon ... and of the current "generation", which is the RA9TA version.

Unless it's available at special high-volume, contract "bid" prices, it generally seems to sell for about $12+/50 rounds to L/E agencies ... or, around $0.24 per round, if I remember right. Compare that to what the "generic" Winchester Subsonic Duty/Personal Protection rounds sell for on contract basis ... about $0.09 per round.

The Ranger 127gr +P+ I previously bought from Botach (before we adopted and started issuing the current production round) was the previous "version", one in "regular" Ranger form (black lubalox coated bullets & brass cases) and the other in a L/E special order version, which was available all over the place after a large L/E order was canceled (no lubalox coating & nickeled cases). I haven't seen it offered at the Botach website for a while ... probably sold out long ago.

I certainly wouldn't spend more than "fair market value" for it, though. I mean, granted its good quality ammunition (both in RA9T & RA9TA versions), but there's a lot of other good quality premium rounds available over-the-counter ... like the Gold Dot & Golden Sabre rounds ...

If you enjoyed reading about "Where to find the elusive Ranger ammunition" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!