Tumbling

PDA

RugerSAFan
January 12, 2003, 08:02 PM
Howdy ,

I tumbled for the first time today (45lc).

I sifted the shells out, and noticed the insides of the cartiridges weren't shiny.

1> Are they supposed to be?
2> Is it okay to leave the old primers in when tumbling, or should the old primers be removed first?
3> Is any additional cleaning/polishing required before priming, loading, etc.?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumbling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfrog
January 12, 2003, 08:28 PM
It is common for the insides of the brass to be dirty after tumbling.

I leave primers in when I tumble. After they are tumbled, I load them like they are.

Some people remove the primers before tumbling and clean the primer pockets manually afterwards.

Shinny brass on the inside looks nice, but you won't see it once it is loaded. I have never noticed a difference in performance from brass with shinny insides and dirty ones. JMO.

Nanook
January 12, 2003, 08:39 PM
The insides of the cases are shiny when new, not usually after firing. Some powders burn cleaner than others, but they all leave some residue. Not to worry.

You can do it either way, primers in or out. I tumble before re-sizing/depriming so the brass is clean before going into the dies. You will find people doing it both ways. Some people clean the primer pockets before repriming; I do this with rifle but not pistol. YMMV.

Once you're happy with the finished product, they're ready to go. Unless you want to further process the brass for accuracy, which may entail making the primer flash holes uniform, swaging the pocket, and a few other accuracy tricks. For run of the mill shooting these are not necessary.

I know benchrest shooters and other competition shooters will take these steps, as well as trimming even pistol brass. I know guys who trim .45acp brass after every shot, but they compete in matches.

BTW, welcome to The High Road.

P95Carry
January 12, 2003, 08:46 PM
Forget about the inside . totally irrelevant IMO!! Sometimes wonder why i tumble at all .... but when I do I deprime first . and check primer pockets while loading .. rifle mainly ... pistol stuff not treated as over critical for my purposes.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
January 13, 2003, 03:12 AM
The purpose of tumbling your fired cartridge casings is to remove dirt that will create wear and feeding problems in reloaders with primer feeding mechanisms. and is critical in progressive reloaders as dirt buildup in a primer slide can cause a jam and with certain primers can if force is used can result in an explosion of the primer magazine which has happened in the past.

Clean is necessary so no dirt falls in to the reloader, beautiful brass is optional.

Poodleshooter
January 13, 2003, 11:55 AM
Is it okay to leave the old primers in when tumbling, or should the old primers be removed first?
If you leave the primers in while tumbling, the depriming procedure will clean any media out of the flashhole, so inspection isn't as much of a worry (though I'd still do it).
Depriming first, then cleaning, means that you need to inspect your flashholes for excess media before priming. You will have cleaner primer pockets that way, however.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumbling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!