High End Brass Cost vs Reward?

PDA

627PCFan
May 6, 2008, 08:59 AM
Hi All. I recently gained access to shoot @ Quantico's long range rifle facility with a max distance of 1000yds. So now Im developing long range rounds with original unfired Winchester brass in 7mm rem mag from the 1960's:what: Im noticing that there is alot of variance in both weight and neck thickness so I'm guessing bullet tension in the neck could cause inaccuracy. Is Laupa and Nosler high end brass worth the cash for long range shooting? Does it make a difference?

If you enjoyed reading about "High End Brass Cost vs Reward?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
taliv
May 6, 2008, 09:15 AM
a substantial amount of the price difference in lapua is in the exchange rate and shipping overseas

however, my experience is that when i sort lapua, i reject a heckuva lot fewer cases than winchester, etc and even norma.

USSR
May 6, 2008, 09:57 AM
Yep, Lapua is the "Gold Standard" of rifle brass.

Don

Walkalong
May 6, 2008, 10:16 AM
99% of Benchresters who shoot 6 PPC, and most do, use Lapua .220 Russian to form 6 PPC cases. Best there is for short range extreme accuracy.

In competition you have to have the best to be competitive.

I have never shot long distance,(over 500 yds) but surely it is no different in the importance of having absolutely consistant brass.

As taliv alluded posted, I would suspect the reject rate with less consistent brass than Lapua would be much higher, and may make it no cheaper, or at least not worth the trouble.

SlamFire1
May 6, 2008, 03:29 PM
Brass makes a difference. I do not think it effects accuracy as much as good barrels, good bullets and good bedding, it still has a small effect. Using odd lots of brass long range is not a good thing.

My experience was with WWII brass. I had thousands of cases. I had every headstamp, every year. Mixed WWII brass did not shoot that well. So I reamed all the pockets to depth and weight sorted them. That brought the groups down to about 1.25-1.5" at 100 yards.

Still, commerical brass, like W/W, R-P, Fed, all shot better. My commerical brass was bulk, I hope it was one lot, but still, I sorted bulk brass by weight. Sometimes, out of a bulk buy of 500 cases, I found 480 cases that were of one weight distribution, than 20 cases that were all 15 grains higher. Still, by weight group, by manufacturer, they all shot well.

I have shot real awful ammo out to 300 yards and gotten excellent results. And I mean any headstamp, and factory second bullets. But at 600 yards, I think you better use same bullets, same powder charge, and cases that are all of the same manufacturer, and been reloaded the same number of times. And use the same primer.

At 1000 yards, I think prayer is the greatest contributor to accuracy. Because nothing I do seems to make a difference.

ilbob
May 6, 2008, 03:57 PM
My guess is if you are worried about sub-MOA groups than brass starts to matter some. before you get to that point, you need to worry more about the gun and the shooter. It won't hurt to get anal about your brass, but it may not help your shooting much if the gun and the shooter are not squared away first.

OTOH, being consistent and careful in your shooting habits is probably something that may help you shoot better.

If you enjoyed reading about "High End Brass Cost vs Reward?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!