Optics for .22 pistol

PDA

Quoheleth
May 6, 2008, 11:59 PM
I'll save the background on the question...I hope I'm in the right forum.

What are some inexpensive (lets say <$50) optic choices for a Ruger .22 pistol? I want something for a 5" 22/45 to use at the range for running steel plates @ ranges from 10 yards to 25 yards. Maybe squirrels next year.

I hate to sound like such a novice, but I'll admit it - that's what I am. I've never looked for pistol optics before and I don't even know what's out there. I had someone suggest a "red dot" - Is that what it sounds like? Any magnification on those?Have experience with rifle scopes and have seen some high-end ads for pistol scopes, but I'm looking for entry-level stuff, not big bucks.

Thanks,
Q

If you enjoyed reading about "Optics for .22 pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
May 7, 2008, 12:09 AM
I just bought this with a 2X BSA LER scope. Seems like a good scope and it had to be cheap cause I only gave 275 for this rig at a gun show Sunday. I've been having LOTS of fun with it last couple of days. :D Check out the BSA scopes, is a cheap line, but on a .22, what the heck? I picked up a used Dan Wesson branded scope some years back for 75 bucks at a gun show and put it on my .22 TC Contender 10" barrel. It's still shootin' straight and lookin' good 10 years later. I have a Tasco Pro Point 30mm on a .30-30 barrel. It's okay on that barrel, but has a tapered dot reticle that might not work real well on a .22. I sent it back once when a .45 Colt barrel detached its reticle. I gave 50 bucks on sale in Gander Mountain catalog for it, or Cabelas, or one of those catalogs. It's about 20 years old now and still shootin' on the .30-30. The .30-30 doesn't kick, has a very effective compensator built into it. A .22 wouldn't hurt it, for sure. I was shootin' a .44 mag + hot load in it at the time in that Contender and that load HURT to shoot, not just the scope, but my hand. LOL

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh305/goose150/PICT0226.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Optics for .22 pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!