Sig Lines that Turn You Off?

PDA

glennser
May 7, 2008, 01:11 AM
I don't want to share my personal beliefs here but has anyone else here ever read a post in a thread that is otherwise logical and informative only to see that it's followed by a sig line that you completely disagree with and find personally offensive?
This is a firearms forum and I really think people should think twice about their sig lines, I consider myself open minded with a decent sense of humor but honestly, some sig lines have really made me feel twice about this forum, it has definitely prevented me from referring friends to threads here, which is a shame as the threads generally have a very high signal to noise ratio and there is a wealth of information and insight available that would win over a lot of people however I know they'll be completely turned off some of the sig lines referring to private and personal beliefs.
The moderators do a great job keeping threads on topic but has there ever been a policy about sig lines that are clearly unnecessary and unrelated to any of the topics here?

glennser

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig Lines that Turn You Off?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JesseL
May 7, 2008, 01:15 AM
If you go to the 'Edit Options (http://www.thehighroad.org/profile.php?do=editoptions)' page in your user control panel (http://www.thehighroad.org/usercp.php), you'll find a check box for enabling/disabling the display of signatures in threads.

I'm really baffled though, what you might have seen in a sig here that was so upsetting or offensive :confused:?

lvcat2004
May 7, 2008, 01:16 AM
Can you give us an example??

Apachedriver
May 7, 2008, 01:36 AM
I find Sig lines to generally be funny or insightful. They show either personality or general frame of mind of the poster.

John828
May 7, 2008, 01:45 AM
Frankly, i would go ahead and recommend the forum to your friends--they may not be offended as you are. Everyone has different tastes and you cannot please everyone.

From what I have seen, the mods keep a tight lid on this place and if the sigs were a problem, they would be the first to "jackboot" the sigs.

has there ever been a policy about sig lines that are clearly unnecessary and unrelated to any of the topics here?

So would I have to have a different sig for each topic just to make it related? Or maybe just make "I Like guns" my sig.

I think the sig is just the extension of the name and not the post or thread. So, some might take offense at some of the screen names for that matter. Maybe all the posts should be anonymous--no name/no sig.

springmom
May 7, 2008, 01:56 AM
Glennser, the one thing we have in common....perhaps the ONLY thing....is our enjoyment of firearms and our commitment to the RKBA. Beyond that, you are going to find as widely diverse a group as you could ever imagine here. I've never seen any sig lines that were particularly offensive. However, if something bothers you, you can use that little triangle button in the lower left corner of the post to report it. Every moderator will read what you write and if they agree with your point, there are a number of things that can be done.

Springmom

cowssurf
May 7, 2008, 02:08 AM
I love all the sig lines. I think they're fun and I get to know people a little better from their sig lines. Heaven forbid we should have personal interactions.

Oana
May 7, 2008, 02:27 AM
I like sigs, as long as they don't get too fancy with pics and huge colored text. Most of the ones I've seen here are fine as far as that goes.

But I HAVE to know the story behind cowssurf's. Was that something Sen. Feinstein actually said?!

zxcvbob
May 7, 2008, 02:28 AM
I just found out tonite that if you change your .sig, it retroactively updates all your previous messages that had a signature. I didn't expect that.

Picard
May 7, 2008, 02:49 AM
Perhaps you haven't been around forums enough. I feel like many of the sigs here are very good, I don't know what you may have found offensive.

Not to be mean or anything, but if you find silly things offensive, is that really our problem? What duty do we all have to keep you from being offended? I'm sick of all the PC crap in the world where people are afraid of offending others, even at times when they should be offended.

Again, this isn't a personal attack on you since I don't know what you did find offensive. It's just a rant that I wanted to get out.

Mal H
May 7, 2008, 02:51 AM
Actually, we do want to know about any signatures which are inappropriate for a family board or offensive. If anyone sees one they feel fit in those categories, please report the post (http://thehighroad.org/images/buttons/report.gif) and indicate that the poster's sig line is offensive.

However, please do not report signatures simply because you don't agree with a political statement or it contains a link to a sales site, etc.

We don't want any examples in this thread. We prefer to deal with such matters in private with the offending member (if we agree that it is offensive, that is).

hso
May 7, 2008, 01:49 PM
http://thehighroad.org/images/buttons/report.gif

Hitting that little icon beside someone's post and adding the message that you wonder if the sig line is appropriate is all that needs to be done to alert the Mods that someone may have an offensive sig line.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig Lines that Turn You Off?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!