what is it?

PDA

socaldan
May 7, 2008, 12:40 AM
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk294/djp7558/IMG_0110.jpg
All I got so far it says Smith & Wesson on the top rib of the barrel (4.875") I think its .32 s&w cal. And the ser# 136 under the grips.
Can anybody help with model, year or quantity made?
Value would also help.
THANKS GUYS!

If you enjoyed reading about "what is it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Idano
May 7, 2008, 01:36 AM
Looks like a S&W .32 Double Action, 2nd Model. They were manufactured throughout the late 19th century and into the early part of the 20th

Jim March
May 7, 2008, 02:27 AM
Um. If there's one thing it's not, it's a 19 :).

Sorry, but...it's a top-break, possibly late 19th century, maybe early 20th. I'm not a collector so I can't nail it down past that. But trust me, by WW2 S&W had ended all production of top-breaks.

ARTiger
May 7, 2008, 02:55 AM
Looks like a S&W New Model 3. Late 19th. century vintage. If it looks like .32 caliber - probably .32/44. Here's a link to one on GunBroker http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=99005923

azwizard
May 7, 2008, 02:56 AM
Looks to me like a smaller version of the Schofield? or a Number 3 Break top revolver. Is that also a lanyard ring on the bottom of the butt? Seems like they were made around the turn of the century, this one being 32 s&w? could have been an export to Spain/Argentina?

mnrivrat
May 7, 2008, 03:21 AM
Caliber might be .32 S&W but I don't think it is a S&W gun . Just one of the many early top break revolvers . What are the initials on the grips ?

calaverasslim
May 7, 2008, 09:00 AM
It is a "Nice Conversation Piece" and a "Super Paper Weight". :)

Brian Williams
May 7, 2008, 09:25 AM
The grip logo has an AHC in it and it looks like it matches the logo on the side plate.

socaldan
May 7, 2008, 12:20 PM
Sorry on the typpo...It is a .38 s&w cal. That IS a lanyard. The grip logo and frame stamp looks like it DOE'S say AHC .
I found MANY old revolvers that once belonged to my great,great uncle. My father had them wrapped in old rags in the attic. This (and a simmaler looking H&R were the best. Asside from a "LARGE" flair gun,) and my Grandfathers w.w.I helmet.

Phil DeGraves
May 7, 2008, 02:35 PM
Probably one of the plethora of cottage companies that S&W sued out of existence for patent infringement in the 19th century or a Spanish copy. Most were of exceptionally poor quality.

How could anyone possibly mistake that for a Model 19?

bannockburn
May 7, 2008, 07:11 PM
socaldan

The first thing I thought of when I saw it was: this really looks to be some sort of European copy of a S&W top-break. I've seen any number of Belgian and Spanish copies of this type of pistol over the years. Except as a wall hanger, or family keepsake, these guns have little if any intrinsic value.

socaldan
May 8, 2008, 12:04 AM
Thanks guys...I still have a "FAMILY" collectable, If nothing else.
Now mabey i'll try to shoot it... Anybody know of a good plastic surgeon in the L.A. area? (they're not hard to find here... are they?)

Jim Watson
May 8, 2008, 08:25 AM
It it is a copy of the S&W .38 Double Action.
I think it is of Spanish make and is probably of lower quality than the Belgian knockoffs.

I would not shoot it, you could go from a family novelty to a loose collection of parts.

If you enjoyed reading about "what is it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!