CCW in a car: velcro a holster under the dash or not?

PDA

1KPerDay
May 8, 2008, 02:02 PM
There seems to be room and it would be out of the way of casual observation... is there any reason I shouldn't do this? This would be for commuting; when I got to work I'd remove the holster/gun and put it in a backpack or maxpedition type thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW in a car: velcro a holster under the dash or not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M1911
May 8, 2008, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't. Too much chance for 1) the gun to flying in an accident and 2) for a bonehead like me to get distracted and leave the gun in the car.

1KPerDay
May 8, 2008, 03:47 PM
Didn't think of the accident thing... what about a thumb-break/retention holster. Any better?

And what if I left the gun in the car? I leave guns in my car all the time when I go shooting. Is it primarily a concern about theft?

chupacabrah
May 8, 2008, 04:00 PM
velcro may not be all that reliable...but i would see about screwing a mounting point into the plastic (or metal) or something down there to make sure it stays put (and most likely hidden)

M1911
May 8, 2008, 04:19 PM
Didn't think of the accident thing... what about a thumb-break/retention holster. Any better?

And how would the holster be attached to the car? You think velcro and glue is going to hold the weight of a gun during a crash? The gun may stay in the holster, but the holster isn't going to be attached to the car anymore. I don't need another missile inside the car during a crash.

And what if I left the gun in the car? I leave guns in my car all the time when I go shooting. Is it primarily a concern about theft?Theft and the fact that if I am out of the car and the gun is in the car, then it won't do me any good if I am attacked.

Treo
May 8, 2008, 04:23 PM
I just throw mine on the seat W/ a hat over it or put it in my back pack W/ the flap covering it

Ltlabner
May 8, 2008, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure in Ohio such an arrangement would be highly illegal.

A loaded weapon (assuming you have CCW) must be in a holster on your person, in a locked glovebox or in a bag with a lock/zipper on the front seat (i.e. the bag is in plain sight).

Your arragement doesn't seem to satisfy any of those. Without CCW liscence, your arragement is definatley illegal.

Dirtypacman
May 8, 2008, 04:28 PM
My recommendation is to find a holster comfortable enough that you can were all day, anytime, in the car, etc.

That is your best solution.

1KPerDay
May 8, 2008, 05:10 PM
Your arragement doesn't seem to satisfy any of those. Without CCW liscence, your arragement is definatley illegal.
This ain't ohio, and I do have a CCW permit.

M1911, good points. Thanks

1KPerDay
May 8, 2008, 05:12 PM
My recommendation is to find a holster comfortable enough that you can were all day, anytime, in the car, etc.

That is your best solution.

Certainly. However, I'm NEVER going to be able to carry a full size glock or beretta comfortably until I drop about 80 lbs. I was trying to come up with alternatives that would work for me. I'm also planning on pocket carry of a mousegun of some type. :) And pocket carry is worthless while driving, as trying to retrieve my ringing cell-phone from my pocket has taught me. :D

The Lone Haranguer
May 8, 2008, 05:12 PM
Other than having to sit on the strap, the DeSantis "Kingston" holster might work. This consists of a large strap fastening lengthwise across the lower seat cushion, with a holster attached to the strap and riding at the front edge of the seat cushion. Take the gun out of that holster and put it in your CCW holster when you get out of the car.

1KPerDay
May 8, 2008, 05:21 PM
My civic hybrid nerdmobile is pretty crowded with me and my carpool buddy in it, but I'll take a look. Thanks

Edit... you said FRONT of the seat cushion. Hmmm... interesting.

M1911
May 8, 2008, 05:36 PM
I just throw mine on the seat W/ a hat over it or put it in my back pack W/ the flap covering itIn the infamous FBI Miami shootout, at least one FBI agent drew his gun and stuffed it between the seatback and seat prior to the felony stop. The felony stop became a felony crash and the gun shot forward into the footwell. The agent did not have time to retrieve his gun from the footwell and instead wound up fighting with his 5-shot J-frame. Unfortunately, the two perps were armed with a shotgun and a Mini-14.

I'm sorry, but I think putting it on the seat is a real bad idea, if only because if you have to make an evasive maneuver (kid runs out into the street, car in front of you stops unexpectedly), you are likely to at least be distracted by the gun sliding off the seat, or worse take a hand off the wheel trying to prevent the gun from sliding off the seat.

Steve in PA
May 8, 2008, 05:41 PM
A handgun should be on your person, period.

Putting it on the seat, sticking in the console, using velcro to hold a holster, etc is just asking for trouble.

You could get in an accident and the gun goes flying. You could bail out of your vehicle and......oooops, my gun is still in the vehicle. You could be drug out of your vehicle during a car jacking or robbery...........where is your gun??

TX1911fan
May 8, 2008, 06:21 PM
I always thought this looked intersting. You could cover it up with something if you didn't want anyone to see it was a gun.

http://www.sshmi.com/

THis looks intersting too

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1481.php

Sato Ord
May 8, 2008, 06:40 PM
Make a custom holster out of Kydex and screw it in place. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours of your time, and a few dollars worth of Kydex and other materials.

One word of caution, don't believe the things you read on the net about being able to use PVC adhesive. It doesn't bond Kydex effectively in my opinion. I use rivets and a simple rivet set and hammer when making holsters.

skinewmexico
May 8, 2008, 06:42 PM
I used to have a holster velcroed to the inside of my console. Worked great.

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
May 8, 2008, 09:56 PM
i carry mine on me, when i didn't i just pulled the holster off and wedged the gun in the holster between the seat and the consoul, stayed there when i got rearended at 30mph.

Rustynuts
May 8, 2008, 10:12 PM
You can't use regular velcro for that, too heavy. You need the industrial stuff that "pops" into place. Shaped like identical mushroom heads on both sides, not the simple hook & loop. Forget the name brand. You may be able to find it in the hardware or hobby stores.

LaVere
May 10, 2008, 08:23 AM
I drive a Dodge Mini van and I strap a holster to the seat belt up riser. At times I just remove my carry pistol and place it in that. While I don't know the model or make. It is a nylon APC (All Purpose Carry) lefty/righty. That gives easy access for driver or passenger.
Being of GOD's chosen left handed persons ;) To draw my ISW from the 8:00 position is very slow at best and down right impossible in the winter time. The strap is from a mountain bike peddle very strong.

When wife return with the van I'll take pictures and add them here.

The Bushmaster
May 10, 2008, 09:26 AM
It's nice living in a state that trusts its citizens with firearms. Here it's legal to carry concealed in your car or pickup, a loaded handgun, without a CCW.

And the "Castle Doctrine" is alive and well here...

21H40
May 10, 2008, 09:12 PM
FOBUS has a mounting bracket that can be bolted to the car (or whatever) and adjusted to the angle/height ... I haven't used this specific product of theirs, but I've used their plane jane paddle holster for my 1911 for years with very few complaints (moslty 'cause I'm picky).

Zach S
May 11, 2008, 01:01 AM
You need the industrial stuff that "pops" into place. Shaped like identical mushroom heads on both sides, not the simple hook & loop. Forget the name brand.
Like most good velcro, its made by 3M, we used to get it at work. Looks like the "hook" side of velcro on borh sides. Its pretty stout stuff. However I used it to mount a CB in an old truck, and the CB fell off every now and them. The CB weighed less, and had more room for velcro.

For my setup, I used a bladetech holster, removed the belt loop and fabbed up a mounting bracket. I then mounted it under the dash where the ashtray used to be, before it broke when someone tried to carefully remove it...

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=70245&d=1199233555

I dont know if the holster isnt mounted straight or of the blade-tech is twisting due to the weight of the magwell.

Here's a shot looking into the car:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=70246&d=1199233567

I was planning on removing the front of the ahstray and putting it on a hinge and adding a lock, but transmission gave out before I got that far.

GunNut
May 11, 2008, 10:41 AM
Set it on the seat next to you or wedge it between the seats while traveling to work, if on body carry is not possible. When you get to work then throw it in your Maxpedition bag.

I carry IWB from home to work and then put it elsewhere while at work. I'm new on the job and my company, like most, has a no weapons policy, so i'm not willing to push it yet.

1KPerDay
May 12, 2008, 01:28 PM
Zach, that's similar to what I'm thinking, but it would be mounted down by my shin under the wheel, with the grip facing to the right. Guess I should use a LH holster or something.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW in a car: velcro a holster under the dash or not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!