Substituting magnum primers for regular

PDA

cherryriver
May 8, 2008, 03:00 PM
I have a couple of thousand of Winchester small pistol magnum primers I'll be unlikely to ever use.
I do want to put up a run of .38 Specials and don't need max loads.
Any direct experience with substituting? Problems?

If you enjoyed reading about "Substituting magnum primers for regular" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
May 8, 2008, 03:13 PM
No.

Unless you are loading maximum loads with standard primers, and then switch to Magnums, you will probably notice no differance.

rcmodel

Doug b
May 8, 2008, 03:52 PM
Ball powders tend to prefer a mag. prime.

hoptob
May 8, 2008, 05:47 PM
Any direct experience with substituting? Problems?

Yes. Magnum primers will generate higher pressure. As rcmodel said, you may not see the difference if you are working with low pressure load to start with. However these are all relative terms and if you really want to substitute I recommend starting 2 gr. below standard primer recipe and working your way up. Better safe than sorry.

:)

Mike

strat81
May 8, 2008, 11:13 PM
However these are all relative terms and if you really want to substitute I recommend starting 2 gr. below standard primer recipe and working your way up. Better safe than sorry.
The OP mentioned .38 Special loads. 2 grains below might be a squib load.

hoptob
May 8, 2008, 11:27 PM
Good point, Strat, I did not think about it. Substitution really depends on the desired load.

BTW, why not to choose powder meant to be used with WSPM's? E.g. HS-6 or such.

Mike

btefft
May 9, 2008, 12:52 AM
Don't do it. Chamber pressures will be too high.

Hack

socaldan
May 9, 2008, 12:58 AM
You can ship those primers to me...As long as you pay freight too.
Oh...you might stick a twenty in the box for my trouble !!!
Ha.......kidding!

If you enjoyed reading about "Substituting magnum primers for regular" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!