Are you getting better or worse?

PDA

sonny
January 12, 2003, 07:26 PM
As far as your shooting skills go that is:)
Where do you think you're at skill wise?....from the first time you shot up until now?....are you gettin better?... or are your best years behind you?
What firearm related skills are the first to go?...the eyes?..hands shaking?......other?......at what age do you think shooters peak?
It's pretty obvious that age does not affect those in the shooting sports nearly as much as it affects those in other sports.
What do you think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are you getting better or worse?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
January 12, 2003, 07:32 PM
I had an epiphany of sorts a few years ago when something just clicked & my skills grew by leaps & bounds. Things seemed to have leveled off, but I'm maintaining a certain level. I'm still learning alot & having alot of fun doing it! ;)

PDshooter
January 12, 2003, 07:38 PM
At 47 I'm still getting better! But the "Eye's" are not. I joined a gun-club last year. So I shoot more often.And a lot more ammo! too( My Reloads):cool:

Being in the Guard,INF,Unit you never know these day when you'll be called up :eek:

P95Carry
January 12, 2003, 07:51 PM
At (hurrum!) .... (said quietly) ... 57 .......... I am past my peak .. that's for sure! I admit that.

But .. many years of competition (peaking maybe around age 40 - 45) have left me at least with very sharp instincts and natural ''feel'' ... eyesight is a bummer .. but I reckon experience makes up for that a bit.

Don't now expect to be as good but - if push comes to shove ...... I'd still rather be me behind my gun that in the line of fire!!!:p

P95Carry
January 12, 2003, 07:51 PM
At (hurrum!) .... (said quietly) ... 57 .......... I am past my peak .. that's for sure! I admit that.

But .. many years of competition (peaking maybe around age 40 - 45) have left me at least with very sharp instincts and natural ''feel'' ... eyesight is a bummer .. but I reckon experience makes up for that a bit.

Don't now expect to be as good but - if push comes to shove ...... I'd still rather be me behind my gun than in the line of fire!!!:p

P95Carry
January 12, 2003, 07:52 PM
sorry!

Blackhawk
January 12, 2003, 07:53 PM
It's kinda funny.

Eyes and stamina have sure suffered, but there's an indescribable maturity that seems to kick in, which dispels the anxiety.

Instead of tightening up just before pulling the trigger and maybe ending up slapping or jerking it, there's a very calm understanding that when things are lined up, the bullet will go exactly where I'm looking. It's maybe like struggling to type accurately at 30 WPM for years then suddenly realizing that you can zip along at almost twice that for hours on end without ever realizing how that came about. I KNOW that's due to less anxiety about screwing up.

That seems to be a secret. If I'd had that calmness early on, I'd have been a better shot -- perhaps better than I am now. It's not better or worse -- it's just different... :D

P95Carry
January 12, 2003, 07:53 PM
Sorry again ... hmmm .. timestamps and post's being accepted ...... seem to be a bit awry.!

happy old sailor
January 12, 2003, 08:12 PM
had my share of wins three and four decades ago. be 72 this year and am definitely a hasbeen. but, better a hasbeen than a never have been.

my big boomers seem to be getting heavier and recoil tires my arm more quickly. may have to go to two hands.

plan to continue shooting if i have to have one of my sons hold my arms up.

to the original question: my peak was in my mid thirties. had about ten years of really serious competition shooting behind me at that time. match about every weekend somewhere. when the government (read: taxpayers) started furnishing all the match ammo i could shoot and paying travel and entrance fees, i sort of took off. think any serious shooter could have done the same.

the gov also furnished the best match guns that could be bought or built. who could not do well.

have shared my skills with anyone who asked. have turned out some real good shooters on their own. am proud of everyone of them.

Gewehr98
January 12, 2003, 08:15 PM
And fussier. And I don't practice like I used to, my time's eaten up with the job and other "must do's". Haven't shot at a match in about a year. Going to the range is a gala event any more. But by Gawd, I've been busy evenings at the reloading bench!

Bob Locke
January 12, 2003, 08:47 PM
I'm definitely worse now than I was 2-3 years ago when I was shooting IDPA matches on a biweekly basis.

Still quite a bit better than the average bear, though. :cool:

Calamity Jane
January 12, 2003, 10:15 PM
Getting better. :) Slowly but surely with a pistol, but with a rifle, I've experienced something similar to what 10-Ring described:

I had an epiphany of sorts a few years ago when something just clicked & my skills grew by leaps & bounds.

It's an awesome feeling! I've been decent with a rifle for quite awhile now, but if I live to be 100, I will never forget the euphoria I experienced recently, realizing I'd shot half-inch groups at 100 yards with our .22-250 rifle...

blades67
January 12, 2003, 10:24 PM
I get better every time I go shooting. I push myself so that I will continue to get better.

Standing Wolf
January 12, 2003, 10:34 PM
I may be on the downhill slope—aging eyes, arthritis, computer wrist, increasing sensitivity to cold—but I'm having more fun shooting than ever. Getting old may not be as much fun as you've heard, but it beats the socks off the alternative.

andy
January 12, 2003, 10:35 PM
Age hasn't seemed to have affected me much, I've always been a lousy shot. :D

Standing Wolf
January 12, 2003, 10:35 PM
I may be on the downhill slope—aging eyes, arthritis, computer wrist, increasing sensitivity to cold—but I'm having more fun shooting than ever. Getting old may not be as much fun as you've heard, but it beats the socks off the alternative.

Standing Wolf
January 12, 2003, 10:36 PM

larryw
January 12, 2003, 10:36 PM
I work to improve in everything I do. Shooting is no exception.

Standing Wolf
January 12, 2003, 10:37 PM

Standing Wolf
January 12, 2003, 10:37 PM

Hardtarget
January 12, 2003, 10:43 PM
At age 40 my vision started to slide into the abyss. For a while I could still focus on the sights. Now my vision has gotten to the point that without my glasses nothing is in sharp focus. So, as the eyes go, so goes my shooting. I went to the range this weekend. I was a little disappointed with the way things went. I think that means I need more time on the trigger...you know...to keep my skill level from slipping more! I'm sure my wife will understand that.:D
Mark.

blades67
January 12, 2003, 11:00 PM
I get better every time I go shooting because I push myself to get better. If you don't use the skill, you lose the skill.

blades67
January 12, 2003, 11:02 PM
Double tap.:uhoh:

blades67
January 12, 2003, 11:02 PM
Triple tap.:eek: :uhoh:

Guy B. Meredith
January 13, 2003, 12:55 AM
I am definitely getting better, unfortuantely through a series of the aforementioned epiphanies. Sort of uneven. Definitely depends on the time I spend. I began shooting at age 52, am now 57 and doing the best marksmanship wise with a lot of room for the improvement I expect to see in the near future.

Guy B. Meredith
January 13, 2003, 12:58 AM
Wow. Something really funky happening with the server. My reply sits for 7 min without update note, but there it is if I reload the page a couple of times. Ended up with several triple taps.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are you getting better or worse?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!