Federal xm198 ball 5.56

PDA

hsiddall
May 9, 2008, 12:24 PM
Picked this up at Gander today. 8.99 a box. Headstamp is lco8 but no nato cross. Are these "Military" style?(IE crimped primer pockets)?
As always Thanx in advance
Harley

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal xm198 ball 5.56" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LotI
May 9, 2008, 12:32 PM
Probably.

$9/box OUCH! I saw that price and nearly cried when I was in GM. They did have Q3131A in stock which I haven't seen in 3 years. It's good to have a choice but OUCH $9! That's $450/k OUCH!:what:

17Chap
May 9, 2008, 12:38 PM
Around here the off the shelf price is .40 to .45 per round. Ouch is right! :eek:

17Chap

BattleChimp Potemkin
May 9, 2008, 02:44 PM
I would definitely pay higher (about 10 dollars a box) for the ability to even GET the ammuntion, as hoarders, government organizations, und so weiter have taken most of it up. Nothing gets my blood going when I hear of someone with 5 or 6 cases of something nowadays (MY OPINION, not something to take offense to, geez) when I know people that have weapons (ARs AKs, etc) that want to be prepared for emergency but cant get the munitions they want/need (even just a basic loadout of 210 rounds, I always believed in a minimum of 2 load outs per weapon, I keep more, but then I handload). I handload all my .223 nowasays so cost is little import to me.

Take M855 for example. People spit and cuss when its 450 a case, but where can one get a case of that stuff anymore? I know Cheaper than Dirt has it, and the internet bidding sites occasionally. But usually at a higher price. If I can attain it, then Ill take it, no matter the cost (I dont stock up on "wonder ammo" anyways, I make 64gr PP all day. Fragmentation my rear! :D).

During the last ban, people complained about the cost of magazines. Its simple supply and demand. Everyone wants m855 or M193, but when there is a difficulty in getting it due to people wholesaleling the crap to hoarders and agencies, then its justifiable cost in my mind. Not to mention, with local shops, you are paying their shipping and overhead costs too.

BTW: My PP loads are about 9 bucks a box/20. :D The cost of Win new 64PP is about 25 bucks or so. I think I'll take my cost:). The wonders of BLC2!

No NATO headstamp? Isnt that similar to Federal's TRU line, where its the standard, over the counter bullet, but with a crimped primer. I horsed with a box of the TRU and it didnt have the cross on it. Similar precedent?

lmccrock
May 9, 2008, 04:04 PM
Just curious - what is XM198? I am familiar with XM193 55gr ball, not XM198.

Lee

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal xm198 ball 5.56" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!