12 Gauge Reloading

PDA

345 DeSoto
May 9, 2008, 05:16 PM
All my reloading has been for rifle and handgun. I've never loaded for Shotgun, but since I found a NICE Mossberg 500 in a culvert, I'm considering it. What would I need to reload for 12 gauge, 2 3/4"-3"...bare bones, nothing fancy. I have a Rock Chucker press, RCBS 1500 Chargemaster Combo scale, and Unique Powder...for starters. Would I be able to use the Rock Chucker, or would I need a new press? Thanks guys...:o

If you enjoyed reading about "12 Gauge Reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
May 9, 2008, 05:21 PM
You need a shotgun loading press.

It can be done on a Rock Chucker, by buying shotgun dies, but that would cost as much as an entry level shotgun press, and not work nearly as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0003129210668a.shtml

rcmodel

Bad Flynch
May 9, 2008, 06:06 PM
>It can be done on a Rock Chucker, by buying shotgun dies, but that would cost as much as an entry level shotgun press, and not work nearly as well.<

Agreed. I have such dies and RCBS made them, but they are a PITA. Howver, my MEC reloaders make short work of shotshell reloading and they do a good job.

345 DeSoto
May 9, 2008, 06:36 PM
What sort of components would I need, and would the Unique powder be acceptable?...

rcmodel
May 9, 2008, 06:45 PM
Shot, 209 primers, plastic wads, empty cases.

You need to know the make & model of the case you plan to reload, then pick the correct wad for it.

Unique is a good 12 ga powder for 1 1/4 oz loads.
That's what I use for pheasent hunting in 12 & 20 ga..

Heres what you need to know to pick you wad / case combo using Unique:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gauge=12&gtypeid=3&title=Shotshell

rcmodel

qajaq59
May 9, 2008, 06:49 PM
345 Desoto, read thru this page http://www.gunshopfinder.com/articles/shotgunreloading.html and it'll give you a fairly good idea of what you need to do to start. It'll list a manual, press and some other stuff as well. But start with the manual like the man says, as it will answer most everything else for you.

472x1A/B
May 10, 2008, 12:44 AM
Am I the only one that's interested in hearing how you found a Mossberg 500 in a culvert ? I take it this is a road/highway culvert? Any pics maybe?

ReloaderFred
May 10, 2008, 01:28 AM
I was going to ask the same question. So you've found this shotgun that was either used in a crime, or stolen from someone. And it has a serial number on it that can possibly be traced to the original owner.

Or you're joking about finding it.......

Fred

tsidorus
May 10, 2008, 01:29 AM
yeah, that one sounds fishy. Not that I really give a rats A__ about what a firearms history is but it sounds as if that one might be evidence for something....

... Id at least have the authorities check it out. but that's just me and maybe you did...

-Tsi

345 DeSoto
June 22, 2008, 08:51 AM
UPDATE - Located the owner of the gun. It was not stolen or "used in a crime"...it was left against the side of the truck when the owner changed out of his hunting overalls...then drove off. Returned it to owner who had since bought a Remington 1100...bought it (Maverick)for $25 from him...:D

If you enjoyed reading about "12 Gauge Reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!