Do I Need Hoppe's?

PDA

Skunkabilly
January 12, 2003, 08:41 PM
Do I need bore cleaner, or will CLP work?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do I Need Hoppe's?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ledbetter
January 13, 2003, 01:36 PM
CLP doesn't remove copper. Hoppes #9 has a small amount of ammonia for copper removal. (It doesn't work very well at that, IMHO).

I have a bunch of Hoppe's left, as well as some copper-removers (Shooters' Choice, Hoppe Benchrest). When I use it up, I think I'm going to go with just Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner (or Shooters' Choice Copper Remover) and FP10 CLP, maybe keep some mineral spirits (Stoddard solvent) and Kroil on the bench as well. And brake cleaner. And Rem Oil.

Kentucky Rifle
January 13, 2003, 07:14 PM
I cleaned my S&W 331 Airlite Ti with Hoppe's one day last week and PEEEEEE YOUUUUU!! I had forgotten how bad that stuff smells.

KR

10-Ring
January 13, 2003, 09:45 PM
I've been using JB bore paste after every 500 rounds or so w/ great results.

Bacchus
January 13, 2003, 09:55 PM
Some people swear by Hoppe's while others like different products. I happen to like it. I also use Rem Oil and CLP.

I would suggest trying several different products and finding the ones that work best for you.

Fed168
January 14, 2003, 12:33 AM
I use Hoppes on the majority of my guns. Works pretty good, as does brake cleaner.
Rilfewise, had good results with Butch's bore shine, shooter's choice, Sweets 7.62.

Kahr carrier
January 14, 2003, 07:43 AM
Hoppes number 9:)

Ledbetter
January 14, 2003, 01:33 PM
JB Bore paste is abrasive. Many people believe that it is better not to use abrasives in your barrel.

Although they may remove all the residue from your barrel, in the places where your barrel is already residue-free, abrasives will remove metal and change the surface of your bore in a non-uniform manner.

This is more of a concern with match-grade rifle barrels than with your surplus AK-47.

Bainx
January 14, 2003, 08:40 PM
and recommend Ed's Red. Then, every 3rd or 4th cleaning, use something like Hoppes to get the copper fouling out.
Ed's Red, very economical.....a gallon for about $10.:D

VaughnT
January 14, 2003, 10:36 PM
Every man should be required to have a stash of Hoppes #9. That is the most attractive smell to ever be created and one wiff is sure to bring back fond memories of cleaning rifles in my grandfather's basement. Deer season was more important than Christmas in my family.

Gotta keep that bottle handy!

Skunkabilly
January 14, 2003, 11:54 PM
Can I substitute bore cleaner with MPRO7? I use the stuff to scrub but still like my brake cleaner better.

Dave Markowitz
January 18, 2003, 10:09 PM
YES. You need it as cologne to attract those tactical wimmen.

:D :D :D

Monkeyleg
January 19, 2003, 07:20 PM
Yes. You should have a bottle of Hoppes in your cleaning kit, even if you don't use it. Much like you should have a bottle of Chevas Regal in some cupboard, even if you don't drink.

It's all about traditions and class.

sm
January 19, 2003, 07:35 PM
Traditions and Class would then dictate the Hoppe's No. 9 as introduced originally by Penguin Industries. (tm)

In my Drinking Days , Chivas and other spirits in glass, --now its been about 19 years since my drinking days, and I recently saw spirits in [gasp] plastic :uhoh:

No Wonder Society is in decline--Scotch, TN or KY straight bourbon... is suposed to come out of a glass container, and inhibed straight or with a splash of water[ice takes up too much room]...sheesh maybe this led to the tactical craze...

If you enjoyed reading about "Do I Need Hoppe's?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!