New press - bad crimp die?

PDA

sch40
May 11, 2008, 01:54 AM
Hi all,

I just purchased a Dillon 650 and I am having some issues setting up the crimp die. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated! I bought the 650 with the .223 Rem conversion kit, along with a .223 die set. Following the directions, I was humming along calibrating all of the dies, until I got to the taper crimp die. The directions have me raise the platform, with a case with a seated bullet in the crimp station, then start screwing in the crimp die until it hits the cartridge case. Problem is, the bottom of the crimp die hits the shell plate before the end of the case hits the crimping-part of the die. I don't want to lower the die in any more, because I don't want to break/bend the shell plate or cause any of the other stations to be out of calibration. I have tested my empty case with the Dillon case gauge and it's not shorter than it should be, but it seems like I need another 1mm or so to actually get a crimp.
:(
Any ideas?
Thanks for your help,
sch40

If you enjoyed reading about "New press - bad crimp die?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hutch
May 11, 2008, 08:57 AM
Sure sounds like a problem with the crimp die. I'd check to make sure is says "223 REM" or some such, but if it does, and it's too long, you're done. You bought a great press, BTW. You might call the folks at Dillon and describe the problem. If there's a known problem with a particular brand of .223 dies, they'll likely know about it. Onliest problem I've had is that some dies are too SHORT for the toolhead. Please report back and let us know what the resolution is.

Another thought...

Check with the die manufacturer as well. Sure seems like a manufacturing defect, and they may make it right for you.

Sport45
May 11, 2008, 11:47 AM
Try it with a sized case that does not have a bullet seated. The case you're using may already be crimped by the seating die and there's not enough of a ledge for the crimp die to index on.

Floppy_D
May 11, 2008, 01:31 PM
Did you check the length of your cases? If they're trimmed short, that may be it. Also, are you checking with an empty case? Once you seat the bullet, it may expand the neck enough to crimp.

45ACPUSER
May 11, 2008, 02:25 PM
You need to have a uniform case length to set up the crimp die. Extreme variances will not help your cause!

Why are you crimping?

sch40
May 11, 2008, 09:36 PM
45acpuser, I'm crimping because the bullets I bought have a cannelure and I was told that you have to crimp in that case.

I am using a Dillon .223 taper crimp die and a Dillon .223 Rem case gauge to check. I've also been using the Lee case trimmer with gauge spindle attached to trim them to spec. So far, I've been using cases with bullets seated in them, so I'll give it a try with an empty case to see if the die can catch the end of the case better.

When I put a case in the die manually (with my hand, that is), it seems to catch just fine, whether it has a bullet or not, just about 1mm further than it will go when the case is in the shell plate. I think I'll try not chamfering the case and see what happens.

Oh yeah: the OAL with the seated bullets is right about 2.55". I'll probably be giving Dillon a call tomorrow during lunch.

Thanks again for the help, guys!
--sch40

If you enjoyed reading about "New press - bad crimp die?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!