F1 Chrony help

PDA

JDGray
May 11, 2008, 10:11 AM
Got this for Christmas, has worked great in the past, set it up yesterday and from the 1st shot has been reading way fast! My 45 load is usually in the 800fps range, but yesterday it was showing 1260:eek: I turned it off and back on, and had 2 correct readings, followed by the 1200 reading, down to 300, what the heck!! The battery seems good. Anybody?:confused: This is a no frills model, with only an on, off switch.

If you enjoyed reading about "F1 Chrony help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
May 11, 2008, 10:15 AM
Oh, what the heck, splurge on a battery.

Otherwise, have you changed your setup or location? Chronographs do not like direct sun, or dappled shade under a tree.

JDGray
May 11, 2008, 10:29 AM
I figured on a new battery, yesterday was the first time I used it on a sunny day. I'll get a battery, and wait for an overcast day, and try it again. This was the first time shooting my 45 across it, and was maybe 5' away, I'll try backing up a bit.:)

steve4102
May 11, 2008, 10:45 AM
New battery and put a piece of Scotch brand Magic tape over each of the sensors.

Jim Watson
May 11, 2008, 10:55 AM
I have used all sorts of gimmicks to shade chronograph detectors on sunny days. Haven't heard of the Scotch tape trick, I guess it serves as a diffuser right on the eye.

Five feet is too close, try ten.

Bruce H.
May 11, 2008, 11:03 AM
I have an F1 Chrony. I have found that sunlight directly on the sensors causes it to do funny things. I use a piece of thin cardboard that I tape over the top of the two plastic shields to keep the sun off of the sensors.

JDGray
May 11, 2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the tips:)

rodregier
May 11, 2008, 10:01 PM
5 feet betwen muzzle and unit is a bit close for centerfire pistol.

I use 8-10 feet.

http://www.shootingchrony.com/manual_BG.htm

Ol` Joe
May 11, 2008, 10:13 PM
Got this for Christmas, has worked great in the past, set it up yesterday and from the 1st shot has been reading way fast! My 45 load is usually in the 800fps range, but yesterday it was showing 1260 I turned it off and back on, and had 2 correct readings, followed by the 1200 reading, down to 300, what the heck!

1100 fps + change is the speed of sound. You are too close, the unit is reading muzzle blast in place of the bullet. A baffle with centerfire handguns is a help. I shoot through a small hole cut in cardboard and placed a foot or so in front of my muzzle when chronographing my 44 mag or 45 acp. I also try to keep the screens at the max distance the wires allow.
It helps also as the others note to keep the direct sun off the sensors. I have also had a problem once with the screens under a tree and the shadow of the leaves moving over them caused the unit to trip.
Chronos are like cameras, it is all about light.

ants
May 12, 2008, 02:54 AM
Yep, 5 feet is way too close. The hot gas muzzle blast is confusing the chrony. I use 15'.

Bruce, I'll try the scotch tape trick next time. I usually just put the whole unit in shade and it works beautifully, but if no shade is available I'll try the tape.

JDGray
May 31, 2008, 06:48 PM
The same sunny conditions today, and everything work great!:) I shot from maybe 8ft back, and put the clear tape over the eyes. Didn't even use the sky screens. The only thing I forgot was the new battery, that I forgot to pack. My new 45 load shot pretty well, ranging from 840 to 875fps, and my mild 9mm load, is running exactly with new WWB ammo, which is 1160fps. I also stole the camera tripod, and didnt have to use the picnic table, today. Sure is easier to shoot while standing in my usuall stance.

Thanks for all the suggestions:)

If you enjoyed reading about "F1 Chrony help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!