.223 Crimping for AR revisited

PDA

H1500308
May 11, 2008, 10:59 PM
Was shooting a bunch of .223 reloads through my Armalite M-15 and the weapon jammed on a round causing significant bullet setback. If I had chambered this round and fired, I'm sure I would have experienced some significant pressure issues.

I've never crimped .223 before and I'm wondering if now I should start. The round was partially stripped from the mag and appeared to have jammed on the jump up the ramp/lugs.

That being said, I'm wondering if a standard crimp would have been enough to prevent setback in this situation.

Anyone else experience this?

If you enjoyed reading about ".223 Crimping for AR revisited" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
koja48
May 11, 2008, 11:14 PM
I crimp & have always crimped mine . . . right, wrong, or indifferent. Glad you're ok. I'm pleased with the accuracy & never have to worry about what you experienced occuring. My 0.02 & that's likely a bit more than it's worth (tho considering the deflation of the US dollar, mebbe not . . . unfortunately).

Redhat
May 11, 2008, 11:15 PM
I have seen military ammo which is crimped do the same thing however, I always apply the Lee FCD to any ammo I use in my auto-loading rifles.

H1500308
May 11, 2008, 11:18 PM
I think I'm going to run my unfired reloads through the FCD before the next range trip.

Redhat
May 11, 2008, 11:34 PM
H,

Don't forget, applying the FCD will increase the pressure. I started crinping my rounds from the beginning and worked my way up using the crimp. I'd hate to see you have an accident. I would recommend starting over with reduced powder charge because as every reloading manual I ever read says, if you change something, start over and work up.

taliv
May 11, 2008, 11:37 PM
what redhat said. crimped ammo only prevents setback in the magazine. if you hammer the round into the top of the barrel extension, or anywhere else it's not supposed to be, no crimp will prevent the bullet being jammed back into the case.

Idano
May 12, 2008, 01:16 AM
Yea I have had it happen and it can happen with crimped loads so why change? All crimping is going to do is shorten your brass life and you will still or should check the round any time you have a jam. I have shot thousands of rounds through my AR and none were ever crimped; I may have had three rounds jam that set the bullet back but i would have caught them crimped or not.

coyotehitman
May 12, 2008, 01:36 AM
I had it happen with a PMC factory load. The Lee factory crimp dies shouldn't overcrimp/damage your brass. I have been using one for some time and I have not had a problem.

kelbro
May 12, 2008, 10:09 AM
Won't hurt. Will probably help. Why not?

If you enjoyed reading about ".223 Crimping for AR revisited" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!