Slow, and seeing a lot of double and triple tap postings.

PDA

Gewehr98
January 12, 2003, 08:51 PM
CTRL-ALT-DELETE Reboot?

;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Slow, and seeing a lot of double and triple tap postings." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gordon
January 12, 2003, 10:10 PM
Me too posting double taps with one attempt. The DSL time to post is taking forever since your "maintenence" Your tips?

Derek Zeanah
January 12, 2003, 10:27 PM
The DSL time to post is taking forever since your "maintenence" Your tips?Patience. ;)

MySQL and Apache are running happily, but haven't been tuned for the load we see here. WHat I think is happening is you're waiting on MySQL to service your request, and you're hitting the back button and trying again before it can get to you. This results in multiple posts.

It's an easy fix (I think), but another admin is going to have to do it. I tried earlier and ended up making the board inaccessible until I undid the changes. :o

One of the hazards of using a newer version of the software. There are additional features that might end up being really useful, but the performance tweaks we made on the older version aren't necessarily compatable...

Derek Zeanah
January 12, 2003, 10:29 PM
Note that the last post I just put up took something like 2 minutes to post. It's working, but really needs new threads out there listening for requests.

Oh, and the "maintenance" was more of a rebuild from scratch: we installed a raid card, initialized a new logical drive, and installed a Linux distribution more appropriate for the tasks we're running here. In the short run it's a PITA, but in the long run it makes lots of sense...

Sisco
Just "FYI", posting times seem normal to me (cable modem), the few posts I've made didn't repeat.

Derek Zeanah
(last post took half a second -- just like normal).

Gewehr98
January 12, 2003, 10:50 PM
Going on about 9 minutes, so far.

I expect, when I hit the [submit] button for this one in Technical Support, to take about as long. Just open multiple browser windows, heehee!:D

P95Carry
January 12, 2003, 11:05 PM
Hi Derek ... (HB from PN!) ....... did happen to me earlier ...the post took forever and i daresay I hit submit twice .. after which nothing! Expected a ''404''. Copied text to clipboard, and went back and hit reply again .. pasted, posted and ... hell!! 3 posts identical! Oops!

Your bandwidth tho is being eaten much quicker than mine on PN . we are on 2.2.7 still ...... guess it is likely to happen at times ...... to any board. Good luck!

BenW
January 12, 2003, 11:22 PM
I also have been having some long waits today. The first time it happened I hit the "back" button, submitted again, and double posted (just hit delete and dupe post went away :) ). After that I just waited for 4-5 minutes and the posts eventually went up. It seems only posting is slow. Reviewing and editing both were working normal speed.

Mike Irwin
January 12, 2003, 11:27 PM
Slow?

I don't know what you're talking about.

I mean, it only too me TWENTY minutes to read a thread, get the reply screen open, write my reply (it wasn't a long one), and then get the squirrels to transport the packets, one at a time, to the server. That's blazing fast! :D

I think the bots are out...

Standing Wolf
January 12, 2003, 11:50 PM
Three of my posts haven't gone through this evening.

Gary H
January 13, 2003, 10:54 AM
Trying to reply ... Same problem; waited more than five minutes with no result, so cancelled. Reposted...waited ..now could not find website .. started new window no problem and checked original thread.. no post .. posted and no response .. cancelled ... posted ... waiting long times between checked thread and two posts appeared .. came back again a bit later and found post and two dupes .. next day found post and three dupes.. oopps

Derek Zeanah
January 13, 2003, 11:22 AM
Gary -- are you seeing slowness issues today?

I've made some changes this morning that should have fixed the problem. If not, I'll be looking elsewhere...

Greg L
January 13, 2003, 12:43 PM
It's loading slow this morning but the posting portion seems to be faster (and no quadruple taps yet :) ).

Greg

Greg L
January 13, 2003, 12:48 PM
Spoke too soon :o .

Posting time slowed way down from earlier this morning.

Greg

Hkmp5sd
January 13, 2003, 01:08 PM
If you do happen to get a few extra posts, you can delete them from the edit window.

Greg L
January 13, 2003, 01:37 PM
Thanks, learned something new today.

Greg

Derek Zeanah
January 13, 2003, 03:48 PM
More changes made on the back end -- upgraded some software, downgraded other bits. :D

How's it feel as far as posting speed?

Mal H
January 13, 2003, 03:52 PM
Derek, It seems much, much better now. Been on for about 1/2 hour and speed seems very good, and more importantly, posts post.

Mike Irwin
January 13, 2003, 04:58 PM
Brick wall again...

tyme
January 13, 2003, 05:31 PM
weird.

Mal H
January 13, 2003, 05:53 PM
"Brick wall again..."

Yep, but not everytime like it was last night, early this morning. About 1 out of every 4 or 5 for me.

"Weird."

Yep.

Mike Irwin
January 13, 2003, 06:22 PM
Now it's moving at LIGHTNING speed.

REALLY fast.

Greg L
January 13, 2003, 07:07 PM
It is loading much faster now.

Greg L
January 13, 2003, 07:08 PM
Posting time too.

Mike Irwin
January 13, 2003, 09:40 PM
And, we're right back to the "stuck in the slow lane behind a 105-year-old blind Granny in a Model A."

Sigh.

If you enjoyed reading about "Slow, and seeing a lot of double and triple tap postings." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!