March on Washington THREAD DELETED

PDA

AHMiller1776
May 12, 2008, 03:14 PM
Why was it deleted ?

If you enjoyed reading about "March on Washington THREAD DELETED" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Robert Hairless
May 12, 2008, 03:41 PM
This is the kind of question that would be better asked the moderators in a private message.

Or you could march on the servers in a revolutionary act. :)

geekWithA.45
May 12, 2008, 03:55 PM
Robert is correct. PMing the sub section mod is the thing to do.

Me, I happen to be wandering by, and in an effort to be useful note that HSO closed the thread, the given reason being "Reason: not RKBA, but general 'change the government'".

I agree with that assessment, and support his conclusion of closing the thread.

And since this is the sort of discussion we have in PM on THR, I'm closing this one too.

hso
May 13, 2008, 01:21 AM
In this particular case it was because the thread was about a topic presented as being an RKBA march on Washington when it was actually a call for a general Constitutinal march on Washington. The focus wasn't on RKBA alone.

The sticky at the top of the forum "How this forum works. READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE!" explains that threads in Activism need to be about actions taken directly on behalf of RKBA or proposed actions on behalf of RKBA. The sticky also explains that politics are Off Topic for Activism and explains why.

The Activism forum has a narrow and specific focus that is covered in the stickies and threads that are off topic are supposed to be deleted so that the folks that come here can find useful tools to further RKBA and not have to sort through various rants or political flamewars or crackpot schemes.

Threads that are too general in nature get deleted. Threads that just report or complain about something, but do not have any specific action proposed and at least the rudimentary basic information about how to go about acting are OT and should be deleted.

BTW, threads about "why did THR do ..." belong in Technical instead of Activism.

Nobody's_Hero
May 13, 2008, 07:37 PM
I fear that by limiting ourselves to RKBA activism alone, we join the company of those who freely and fiercely defend the 1st but will strip us of our 2nd. But this is not my forum, and these are not my rules.

I was a bit surprised, however, that the thread was deleted entirely, instead of the usual lock.

"Sa réputation s’affermira toujours, parce qu’on ne le lit guère." - Voltaire

Robert Hairless
May 13, 2008, 10:55 PM
Let's not get melodramatic when thinking about matters related to boundaries. "Fear" is a bit strong and probably inappropriate to this kind of situation. The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Boundaries always are artificial and arbitrary, and so is your statement of "fear that by limiting ourselves to RKBA activism alone, we join the company of those who freely and fiercely defend the 1st but will strip us of our 2nd."

The focus of The High Road is the Second Amendment: not every amendment or the entire Constitution or the proper ordering of mankind. It's the Second Amendment.

There's no First Amendment issue raised by the forum's establishment of boundaries here and although red herrings are easy to cook they're boney and aren't nutritious. They're not worth the effort.

It is indeed true that the First Amendment is related to the Second Amendment, but so is the Third Amendment and it at least has the virtue of being potentially related to the Second Amendment because soldiers have guns, or used to have them.

Anyone familiar with John Guare's concept of six degrees of separation can apply it to many things including forums and laws and all sorts of topics, so in that view everything is potentially relevant to the Second Amendment. I'd have no trouble at all starting threads about the Nineteenth Amendment, the Twenty-Sixth, and--I think--every other amendment to the Constitution, and I'm not awfully bright. Much smarter people than I--with even more varied interests, causes, concerns, and fancies--can dump The High Road into the tank by bombing it with all sorts of threads that divert its focus from the Second Amendment. ("My fountain pen stained my shirt yesterday, so I won't have money for ammunition unless I can get help on rescuing the shirt. Does anyone have some tips?" and "Let's elect Ross Perot '08! He's the man with a plan and a pocket full of change we can believe in. Perot owns a gun.")

It might have been a bit inconsiderate of the moderators to surprise you by deleting the thread instead of locking it. Perhaps you should raise that issue at the next steering committee meeting and encourage them to change their behavior. Me, I prefer to leave them to do their volunteer work without being a nuisance by asking them to justify their every action, especially when it's essentially not my business and I've no wish to trap them into endless public discussions of administrative business and I would have nuked this thread too.

So why does a fireman wear red suspenders?

hso
May 13, 2008, 11:48 PM
The "usual" in Activism is to delete OT threads.

We're trying to apply a very strict standard so that the equally tight focus is maintained.

AHMiller1776
May 14, 2008, 12:06 AM
So, if I wanted to post information about a scheduled gathering of foks who believe in adhering to the fundamental principles of freedom and the US Constitution.... where would I post such a thread? In what section of The High Road forum should I post such information ?

hso
May 14, 2008, 07:18 AM
There's the option of posing at ArmedPoliteSociety which has a broader charter than THR.

If the difficult task of keeping it from being a politics thread (very challenging and very problematic in our history), it might go in General. "Might", I say because THR banned political discussion because the members repeatedly showed they couldn't keep the discussion civil and such discussions usually devolved into a mess (serving no one's interest).

Activism is a very serious subforum with a very narrow focus on getting things done for RKBA. As such it has a very low threshhold for removing threads that don't clearly provide a useful tool that the members can use to effect change in support of RKBA.

We explain in the sticky for the subforum that we delete instead of close threads as the SOP in Activism because we don't want that "tool bin" cluttered with threads that aren't going to help the members go and do something right away in support of RKBA.

Nobody's_Hero
May 14, 2008, 07:41 AM
I was just noting how it is hypocritical, in a way. My "melodrama" was intended as a warning that one day we may very well wake up, look in the mirror, and observe not our own image, but Sarah Brady or Paul Helmke staring back at us. Replace fear with concern, if it better appeals to you.

Might I propose, then, and merely propose, that Rule 1) of The High Road board be edited to reflect its sole purpose.

1.) All topics and posts must be related to firearms or civil liberties issues.

In order to keep this from dragging on, I will refrain from posting in this particular thread any further.

Robert Hairless
May 14, 2008, 12:50 PM
Ahh, you put both "hypocritical" and the last word together. It's a one-two punch, an intellectual haymaker, a winning combination, the mighty blow that triumphs over all. :) Just saying.

brighamr
May 14, 2008, 05:50 PM
I've got a related question:

When a thread is deleted and you PM the mod of that section and don't get a response... what to do then?

hso
May 16, 2008, 11:57 AM
Nobody's_Hero,

It was an oversight to not have changed it, but I can understand how it does look hypocritical to have left it in the Vision/Mission statement for THR when we found we couldn't keep political discussions from getting out of hand and banned it from the board.

That change will be made to keep from confusing the members.

brighamr,

If you don't get a response from a subforum Mod to any question PM one of the other Mods. Remember that all the Mods here are volunteers and are squeezing this in with their real lives. It might take some a while to get back to you.

If you enjoyed reading about "March on Washington THREAD DELETED" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!